No 56k: Grand Theft Auto IV

I love this game. I really really properly do. But its really giving me the shits with some of its technical problems!

I've experienced the annoying "loading problem" and none of the solutions have fixed it. Instead, I'm leaving my PS3 running all the time until I can find a solution that works.

Also - because I accidentally cancelled a phone call which would have been the trigger for my next mission, I cannot access the next mission. I've now gotten to a point where there are no story missions I can do and I'm being told I'll have to start the game again and make sure I don't make that mistake again.

How very frustrating :(

I do love this game though. Its such a step-up from PS2 GTA's and definately a game I'll be playing for the rest of the year, if not more!

I'm hugely impressed with the physics and euphoria of cars, people, objects etc. For someone who likes their realism - it really makes the game what it is to me. The graphics are incredible!! How good does LC look at night.

I just wish the missions and storyline had more of a GTA-feel to it. They aren't as exciting and I don't dig missions which involve you surfing the net. Also the radio is a bit dissapointing when compared to GTA:SA and GTA:VC.

Log out of PSN, SL65. It worked fine for me.

And can't you just call the person back?

Also - because I accidentally cancelled a phone call which would have been the trigger for my next mission, I cannot access the next mission. I've now gotten to a point where there are no story missions I can do and I'm being told I'll have to start the game again and make sure I don't make that mistake again.

Who told you that? :/

If you hang-up a mission triggering phone call, they call back. Should happen within a couple real-time minutes.

Who told you that? :/

If you hang-up a mission triggering phone call, they call back. Should happen within a couple real-time minutes.
I wasn't told specifically. It was what I read on another forum. I can't find which one it was. This was late last night.

But yeh - I'm stuck with no missions to do and I'm still only on the second island :( Any solutions Graeme??

The "log out of PSN" trick worked! :D

Thanks people for the advice!!! Now I just hope it doesn't freezes while I'm playing. I hope Rockstar find the solution soon. And I don't really think it has happened to a "few number of consoles". They just don't want the people to know what an epic fail has been this bug.

Question on who I should kill:

Druggie Derrick or his cop brother?

EDIT: Nevermind. Swek answered it for me. :)

Last edited:
how do I pick up - or - grab stuff? Sorry for noob question..

how do I pick up - or - grab stuff? Sorry for noob question..
L1, at least on the PS3.

You can only pick up certain items (like pop cans, etc.).

Anyone else been into the museum on the second island with the dinosaur skeletons? I like the way you can shoot them to pieces and the physics on the pottery is impressive.

Anyone else been into the museum on the second island with the dinosaur skeletons? I like the way you can shoot them to pieces and the physics on the pottery is impressive.
Yeah, there's a mission in there.

L1, at least on the PS3.

You can only pick up certain items (like pop cans, etc.).

I see, thanks. I meant for xbox 360, but now that I know that it's only for certain objects I guess it's easier to try around with differet buttons when I stand in front of these objects, to find out which button it is.

I wasn't told specifically. It was what I read on another forum. I can't find which one it was. This was late last night.

But yeh - I'm stuck with no missions to do and I'm still only on the second island :( Any solutions Graeme??

I'm sure it'll be something else. Obviously hanging up mission critical calls and making sure you still get the missions was something that is tested extensively.

Who was the call from? It could be it wasn't a mission triggering call and there's something else you have to do to advance a mission. For example;
the "Final Interview" mission, you have to do the first cut-scene, then you can take as much time as you want to go to a cafe and submit your resume, then again after that you can wait as long as you like before going to the interview itself, it just reschedules if you miss it. There are other things like that where you're left to do something to trigger the next mission. You should get reminders by text or phone.

What i'd do is check through your text messages to see if there's any reminders for what to do. Check your e-mail for the same.

Also certain missions will trigger at certain times, so if a mission is supposed to trigger just before 10am, and you hang up the call at 9:30, it'll wait until 24 hours later to call to trigger the mission so its the right game-time. So after checking the phone and e-mail, go to the safehouse and save 3 times to pass 18 hours, then go out and just walk about.

The calls that trigger missions always came back if i hung up.

If you tell me what missions you've just completed previously and who the call was from i might be able to remember what mission it could have been that needs to be triggered there. At that point I can only think of
the lawyer mission, or when Mallorie calls to trigger the Roman rescue mission

Mine froze at "Loading" today when I turned it on, but signing out of PSN did the trick! :)

Uh, I'm playing it at 1080p via HDMI on my LCD monitor right now...

Thats the resolution the PS3 is giving out, but it just scales them to 1080p in most games. The devs sometimes use really weird resolutions, and different ones on the 2 systems for the same game...
Check eurogamer.net and their comparos for more insight. I don't know about GTA resolution, but it could be...

Ok I'm not a huge fan of this series. But me and my buddy were free-roaming and running from 4 star cops and hit a median with a viper that blew a left tire. Well we flipped through the air and landed on a roof of a skyscraper (it was like a flat part that was sticking out of the building for a roof for the people below). And then the swat showed up and I started owning them behind cover with an ak. I was pretty awesome.

Ok I'm not a huge fan of this series. But me and my buddy were free-roaming and running from 4 star cops and hit a median with a viper that blew a left tire. Well we flipped through the air and landed on a roof of a skyscraper (it was like a flat part that was sticking out of the building for a roof for the people below). And then the swat showed up and I started owning them behind cover with an ak. I was pretty awesome.
Yeah, the great thing about GTA is that if you're bored, you can have tons of fun fucking around.

I'm sure it'll be something else. Obviously hanging up mission critical calls and making sure you still get the missions was something that is tested extensively.

Who was the call from? It could be it wasn't a mission triggering call and there's something else you have to do to advance a mission. For example;
the "Final Interview" mission, you have to do the first cut-scene, then you can take as much time as you want to go to a cafe and submit your resume, then again after that you can wait as long as you like before going to the interview itself, it just reschedules if you miss it. There are other things like that where you're left to do something to trigger the next mission. You should get reminders by text or phone.

What i'd do is check through your text messages to see if there's any reminders for what to do. Check your e-mail for the same.

Also certain missions will trigger at certain times, so if a mission is supposed to trigger just before 10am, and you hang up the call at 9:30, it'll wait until 24 hours later to call to trigger the mission so its the right game-time. So after checking the phone and e-mail, go to the safehouse and save 3 times to pass 18 hours, then go out and just walk about.

The calls that trigger missions always came back if i hung up.

If you tell me what missions you've just completed previously and who the call was from i might be able to remember what mission it could have been that needs to be triggered there. At that point I can only think of
the lawyer mission, or when Mallorie calls to trigger the Roman rescue mission
I completed the "Final Interview" mission and submitted my resume via the internet. I also purchased a suit for the interview. But I haven't gotten any call back regarding the interview. There are no appointments on my organiser and no txt msg's that tell me I should be doing something. I've also checked my emails and replied to them and there is nothing regarding that interview apart from the original message linking me to the law firms website.

The phone call I said I accidently cancelled was from a women. I can't remember who, as it has been a few days...

So I'm still stuck with zero missions to do :(

Odd. I missed the first one and she called back saying she had scheduled a new appointment.

I completed the "Final Interview" mission and submitted my resume via the internet. I also purchased a suit for the interview. But I haven't gotten any call back regarding the interview. There are no appointments on my organiser and no txt msg's that tell me I should be doing something. I've also checked my emails and replied to them and there is nothing regarding that interview apart from the original message linking me to the law firms website.

The phone call I said I accidently cancelled was from a women. I can't remember who, as it has been a few days...

So I'm still stuck with zero missions to do :(

Yeah what happens there is that you e-mail your resume. If it's out of office ours, you'll get a text letting you know they'll call you during office hours. Then during the day, the lawyers assistant calls to arrange for you to come in at mid-day the next day.

The caller ID for this will be "Lawyers", and the caller will be a woman. She should definately call back even if you hang up. You can also miss the interview completely and they'll just keep rescheduling it.

Since the call from the woman from the lawyer's office will only come during office hours, make sure you're free to receive the call at those times.

Edit: Something else i just thought of. The phone has a Sleep Mode (maybe its called Silent Mode, i cant remember), which stops all calls from coming through. This halts mission progress of course, until you go back into your phones menu and turn it off. Check that.