No 56k: Grand Theft Auto IV

Indeed, the beginning is really boring while the game teaches you about friend activities and the cell phone, and then a few slow missions that all sandbox games are more or less guilty of.

But things pick up, GTA4 has a pretty amazing story... Niko is a very likeable guy despite the life he leads and that's always what you want in a story, a lead that you are totally conflicted about. Niko manages this far better than any GTA character in my opinion, and possibly as good as any video game character.

It is quite possible that gaming no longer tickles TomCat's fancy, or it's likely that golf games suck ass and he didn't put up with the painful first few bits of GTA4. :D

For one reason or another, narrative in video games doesn't really strike a chord with me. The writing may be amazing but I think most of the time it's a bit predictable, Heavy Rain tried very hard to get you to react to the characters but I could see every twist three miles away. With GTA IV, considering that I've used him as an avatar to commit mass murder, it just seems laughable that he 'wants a normal life'. (yes, I realize it'd be boring if the game restricted you to doing boring stuff outside of the missions but you get what I mean)

It's not about the twists, it's about making the character as human as possible so you can relate to them and feel their plight.

That's exactly the point, that it's not easy to make a mass murderer seem relateable. You can't just have him emailing his mother back in Europe and expect people to tear up, it's a calculated effort from when the character and game (or film, whatever the case may be) are first imagined.

Its the only game i've platinumed, but it was before I had wifi access to update the game.
So no trophy for me. :(

Indeed, the beginning is really boring while the game teaches you about friend activities and the cell phone, and then a few slow missions that all sandbox games are more or less guilty of.

But things pick up, GTA4 has a pretty amazing story... Niko is a very likeable guy despite the life he leads and that's always what you want in a story, a lead that you are totally conflicted about. Niko manages this far better than any GTA character in my opinion, and possibly as good as any video game character.

It is quite possible that gaming no longer tickles TomCat's fancy, or it's likely that golf games suck ass and he didn't put up with the painful first few bits of GTA4. :D

I love the story lines these games come up with. That's really the only reason I want to play the missions. But there is a fine delicate line for me. I want the game to be challenging, but not too much. I have some serious gamer friends/family, the types who scrunch up their faces in disgust when I tell them I used cheats to beat a game. Those types. They've forced me to play certain games that they loved, but I have a tendency of quitting the moment I get to a point where I can't beat a mission within 10 attempts. And they always say the same thing, "You just need to keep working on it. Just put alittle more work into it." Work. Work? I don't play video games to work. I play video games when I want to take a break from work. The moment one of these games takes itself so seriously that it begins to feel like work, rather than an enjoyable good time, then I usually end up quitting. It's always bugged me that with most games if you can't get past a single mission along the way, than you're screwed. You cannot skip it, so unless you manage to beat it, the game is over for you and you'll never find out how the story ends. Heh.

I guess that's why all my favorite games from the past were always based around the multi-player aspect. When you're just having fun playing with/against friends and family, having a laugh, with no real consequences for failure. That's why I got into the golf games, because my brother and dad were obsessed. We'd get together and play skins and get drunk. Good times. Of course I bought PGA 11 and put about 10 hours into my new character and didn't feel like I made any progress, so I never went back to it.

Last edited:
Installing GTA4 again. Been a while since I played it. Woot.

My favorite thing to do in GTA4 is just to go for a cruise. Vroom!

Same here, I just love driving around getting into trouble. I love the storylines, but I'm not a big gamer. I don't think I've ever finished a video game in my life, without the heavy use of cheat codes. I sometimes wish there was an option to watch the game like a movie, so I don't have to bother with doing the missions. :lol:

I need to put GTA4 back on my PC, I haven't bothered since I formatted. I had the police pursuit mod installed and it's the most fun I've ever had in a GTA game. :D

Last time I tried to install GTA4, it refused to run at all. Remembered an issue from when it was released but didn't find a quick fix for it and its been sitting there on my hdd ever since. It just does not start. When I start the launcher it goes for the Sc-login (which fails continously even with a freshly resetted password), I go for Start Offline, its doing some hdd-working... and thats it. Nothing happens. As if I never clicked a button.

Edit: Its on 1.0.7.0, original disc is in the drive. And it was actually working when I bought it new.

Last edited:
I had the police pursuit mod installed and it's the most fun I've ever had in a GTA game. :D

What mod is that? :eek:

Most I ever did was replace car models and physics with real world cars.

I just found out how god damn crappy the car-control, and especially the car-camera was in GTA4. The camera makes me hate the game right now. It just won't follow the fucking car when turning in. At least not within like 5 minutes after I turned around the god damn corner! Is there a mod, patch, fix or whatever for that?!

Yesterday I tried to play GTA4 again. I ended up in a fuckedup options-menu in the lowest settings, telling me I have to reduce the options because my systemresources are way too bad to play it on the selected settings (all min). It even was so kind to show me that the game actually uses 202MB out of my 3072MB GPU-memory. Yeah, I see, almost out of resources <_<. Turns out, GTA4 can't deal with 3GB VGA-memory and I have to add a limiting parameter to the exe-file/shortcut :mrgreen:.

I've had it for 360, but I picked it up the PC DL on amazon for $5. I've been wanting to get it so I could mod it. It's great to replace the car models with the real life counter-parts. I also changed Niko into Cpt. Price from COD. These mods people put out are amazingly good.

cptprice.png

Last edited:
The final release of iCEnhancer -- he's moving on to other things. This video is fucking amazing.

http://icelaglace.com/

Also timelapse makes the jet flight paths hilarious.

oh hell yes, i've had the game installed waiting for this, /download

Just tested it out on my EFLC install, holy moly it looks amazing! But EFLC is a bit buggy with it i read, so got to dig out IV and get it working on that, then remember how to mod gta for real cars. Should be epic

I have the old version still installed, so I'll have to get this new one a try. I hope the update isn't a complete bitch. Installing the older versions was essentially hacking.

install it fresh? that's what im doing and just updating to 1.0.4, way easier than hacking down.

Just get a savegame and mod files. Installing icenhancer is a one click thing, it just replaces files