Rumour Mill: Great News! Dacia may eventually arrive in Australia ... via India?

tone76

Car(s)
05 Honda Jazz, 95 SAAB 900S, 97 Mazda 121
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/ED8BAC161C6B9702CA2576FC0081BC8A

RENAULT?S low-cost Dacia brand is not being considered for Australia in its current incarnation, but future product developments and possible non-European manufacturing sites may pave the way for local introduction of the 44-year old Romanian marque.

?It is an opportunity we are (contemplating) but we have no answers yet for Australia. Plus, if Dacias are only made in Romania their low-cost advantage is outweighed for us by shipping costs. Ideally we would have a closer manufacturing site than Romania.

?But there is an alliance factory in Chennai India, and they need a vehicle that meets their needs, and so if this was going to happen it would help (Dacia?s cause to come to Australia).?

So, reading between the lines, it's possible that Renault may introduce Dacia to Australia if the product and pricing is right. The article suggests that should Australia receive Dacia products, they will not be badged as Renaults ... so they'll more than likely come to Australia as Dacias.

I'm hoping this means we get the next generation Sandero and Duster. :woot:

Last edited:
Dacias have so far been LHD only but RHD cars are to be launched in the not too distant future in the UK so just build a line for that in India and Sanjeev is your uncle.

If I ever see one over here, the first thing I'd have to do is point at it and say out loud 'Oh, great news !'.

Then everybody would look at me weird.

Dear Dacia: Sell the Duster in Canadian Nissan dealers.

Please.