Grosser Preis von ?sterreich 2014

I literally facepalmed.

Can anyone explain why the wooden plank is there? Why sparks happened because of how cars were designed and not the other way around? I really don't feel like it.

The plank is there to limit how low the teams can run the cars. It wears down over the course of the race, and a car can be disqualified if the plank is worn too far (How much, I can't recall). It was mandated after Sennas death to slow the cars down. Before then, teams ran the cars extremely low to maximize the ground effect from the air flowing under the car. The sparks were from skid plates mounted under the car, because they often bottomed out over bumps. The problem is, if you run the car too low, it chokes off airflow, and you lose a massive chunk of downforce. The same thing can occur if the car bottoms out over a bump. If this happens in the middle of a turn, you can imagine what happens.

Someone link me a replay of the alonso massa moment because I'm tearing up over here.

I really want Hamilton to win another WDC but he's really not making it easy for himself. Can't blame this one on him though right? That was definitely not normal.

Braking for a corner and then your entire rear axle locking up is a pants-changing experience.

That is definitely a first. A car dying then suddenly springing back to life.

Haha, did anyone else notice Massa bouncing along on his pit limiter? What would cause that?

Last edited:
That is definitely a first. A car dying then suddenly springing back to life.

Ricciardo was asked not to use his overtake button, so it seems there's some kind of software issue. Maybe it's enabling the pit-limiter? :p

Bottas 3rd!!! and Massa 4th!

Finally good points for williams!

It was a bit disappointing to see Massa miss out on a podium finish after finishing on Pole position but it was an alright race. Kimi is a bit crap still, Alonso looks like he's found at least a little bit of pace in that car and the Mercedes championship is heating up a little, looks like Rosberg could be champion this year if the momentum and luck continues his way.

Haha, did anyone else notice Massa bouncing along on his pit limiter?

It looked like he was jamming out to some Skrillex. :lol:

They really need to take the moth balls out of a few more of the traditional circuits. This place is gorgeous.

This! I kept thinking during the race that, "Man, this circuit is scenic!".

Anyone has any clue where to get a decent replay of the race? I can only find a brazilian, low quality super compressed copy, and despite it being "portuguese", the commentators are super annoying.

Anyone has any clue where to get a decent replay of the race? I can only find a brazilian, low quality super compressed copy, and despite it being "portuguese", the commentators are super annoying.

Try to find the youtube upload in exactly the five minutes between being uploaded and Bernies henchmen taking it down. No other chance I'm afraid. :(

Insane start by Hamilton, it really didn't seem to matter that much that he started 9th!

A shame that Williams couldn't keep up the challenge till the end. Massa can be quick, but he seems to mess it up in the actual races far too often.

Insane start by Hamilton, it really didn't seem to matter that much that he started 9th!

A shame that Williams couldn't keep up the challenge till the end. Massa can be quick, but he seems to mess it up in the actual races far too often.

I dont think he messed too much up, Williams were never on for the win at this race although it would've been nice. Great work by Bottas to grab his first podium and keeping cool under fire from Hamilton.

A fairly solid grand prix, it amused me a bit to hear people rave on about how good it was to have the race back but in all honesty the track has never been one to throw up memorable races.

I think Felipe just has dreadful luck in the pits, really he should have been 3rd in that race or possibly even 2nd as the Mercedes didn't seem to be running quite as well as they usually do, until the end of the race anyway when Hamilton passed Bottas and they pulled out a gap on him. Bottas' pitstop was lighting quick compared to Massa's pitstop.

They really need to take the moth balls out of a few more of the traditional circuits. This place is gorgeous.

Indeed. And the best seats looked to be the least expensive General Admission ones on the hills. Definitely considering this race for 2015...

I do think Williams kept both cars out too long. I do agree they likely could not have held off Nico or Lewis for the win, but it might have gotten Valteri into 2nd and maybe Massa could have held 3rd.

Indeed. And the best seats looked to be the least expensive General Admission ones on the hills. Definitely considering this race for 2015...

Ted Kravitz mentioned on the notebook video that they didn't really have split-up access based on the ticket cost. If you bought a normal ticket you could go anywhere in the spectator areas, apparently.