GT-R Evolution and TG test track

Mercury

Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
I know this has been discussed somewhere round the forum but I can't seem to find the thread, if anyone does, feel free to merge or close this one and pick up that one.

Anyways my friend bought a Logitech G25 recently and he got the game GT-R Evolution on it. We played it a bit, it's really nothing special. Then yesterday he calls me up and says he downloaded the TG test track for it and we can play it!

Now i know there's nothing like the real thing but this is a Logitech G25, thats as close as you can get now a days, and it was awesome!

Really gave the feeling of what the second to last corner is like (threading a needle at 100mph, it really feels like that in the game). The hammerhead was pretty tricky when you try to stay between the lines and get as much exit speed as you can before the straight. But the hardest part in the game is by far Chicago. You exit the first corner on the far right of the runway and you have to cut diagonally to Chicago's entrance, then you have to break right for it, very tricky in that game, every spit of steering or acceleration and the car spins, and even if you got that part just right it's too much of a drift corner, you just get tempted to hit the throttle and then it bites you in the ass with allot of over-steer.

The closest I found to a real car in that game was a racing Mini and that one did it in 1:35. am improved murcielago did it in 1:12.

Anyways that was FuN! Anyone else play the test track with a G25?

Sounds like a laugh, might have to look into that untill GT5 comes out with the Top gear test track.

Photo any screen shots you could share as well? :)

Didn't get any cause I thought people on the forum probably did that already, but ill get some if needed.

Just had a search online and found some images of the TG TT, it does look very good.
Might have to invest in a copy of GT-R Evolution.

Yeah that's the one' it seems it was GTR2 and not GTR Evo...We were playing both so I guess I got confused.

Damn.

I just got GTR Evo.

GTR2 rules all. I've been doing loads of laps on the TG test track. It makes you know the track, but the times are not realistic...this is due to modding errors in both the cars and tracks...

The track has just been released for Evo, converted from GTR2.

LINK
(have to register, but is worth it)

And for those wondering, GTR Evo is almost identical to GTR2. Just check that link and the forum, you'll find some discussions about it.

[prepares to get banned, because this is first post] It's always better then that unrealistic game called GT5. (well, it's kinda realistic, but just no where near the realism of GTR2/ GTR Evo)

Greetings from the newbie...

:lol: Why do you think you would get banned for that?
Because Gran Turismo has allot of fanboys.

Me being one of them....

I dunno if he's insane or just never driven a car before, but GT2 and GTR Evo are pure crap when compared to GT4 or 5. The realism is nowhere near. GT2...a game that comes standard with all race cars that are so easy to control you'd think it's a 1.5 l 3 cylinder diesel Hyundai.

I really hated that game, it's simply the only way to play the TG test track on something that remotely reminds you of a simulator.

I dunno if he's insane or just never driven a car before, but GT2 and GTR Evo are pure crap when compared to GT4 or 5. The realism is nowhere near. GT2...a game that comes standard with all race cars that are so easy to control you'd think it's a 1.5 l 3 cylinder diesel Hyundai

I wouldn't say that...

Maybe it's because I play occasionally, but I'm having a really really hard time keeping the cars in GTR2 on the black stuff.

[prepares to get banned, because this is first post] It's always better then that unrealistic game called GT5. (well, it's kinda realistic, but just no where near the realism of GTR2/ GTR Evo)

Not sure why you'd get banned for that.

But you're right. The problem with GT5 is the physics are fake. They just put a car model on a generic physics box and change some parameters to get the desired performance. That's how they are able to put so many cars in the game.

In Race 07 and GTR2, SimBin actually build the suspension of the car, and all the linkage, then apply a Newtonian physics system to make it all work. The physics of what are happening are real then in that respect. They even simulate tire viscosity and brake heat.

But you're right. The problem with GT5 is the physics are fake. They just put a car model on a generic physics box and change some parameters to get the desired performance. That's how they are able to put so many cars in the game.
Dude what are you talking about. There are a million parameters in GT5, with each one being changed specifically for each car thats in the game with the help of professional car analysts that can pinpoint a car's handling. Why do you think its taking that long for them to release gt5? And what do you mean there are fake physics involved in the game? Programming physics is very standard in videogamming nowadays and its quite easy to do correctly. Its not like cars fly or get 700 feet of air time (a la Tony Hawk).

I really have no idea what are you talking about man, its called video game programming, all it is is you get a template and adjust each variable across the board for every item or car until you get an accurate no bullshit simulator

SimBin actually build the suspension of the car, and all the linkage, then apply a Newtonian physics system to make it all work. The physics of what are happening are real then in that respect

what.
They build the suspension of the car? In the video game world its called changing variables to accurately reflect that to feel like the true handling of the car when you play the game.

Maybe i am just missing something

Speaking of game physics, honestly nothing beats live for speed.
www.liveforspeed.com
problem is, other then the physics, everything in that game sort suck....

what.
They build the suspension of the car? In the video game world its called changing variables to accurately reflect that to feel like the true handling of the car when you play the game.

Maybe i am just missing something

Okay, you know how ragdolls have bones right? Well, each bone has to have it's own weight, length and diameter to accurately swing about. Then you have each joint and the relative amounts of pivot on each as well as how much each can turn sideways etc. Then a simple string of mathematics is applied so that each bone interacts accordingly. Thus, you get a limp body that animates properly and realistically.

Now obviously it's not a real bone, it's only represented by 1s and 0s in the computer. You can't actually see it. But it is being physically simulated as if it were there.

It's a similar theory with SimBin's car building approach. They physically simulate the suspension as a set piece. So they have the damper section and the spring section, and all the linkages to the car's body. So when you tune the bump and rebound settings of the damper in the game, you're actually telling the physics engine to adjust the stiffness of that little simulated damper, rather than applying an arbitrary behavior to a physics "box" that surrounds the car model al la GT5.

Same thing with the tires (they have their own pressure and viscosity), same with the steering rack (turn real driving wheel, turn steering linkage, turn virtual car wheels via virtual suspension), same with the anti-roll bars, same with the engine placement and the centrifugal forces, same with the drive to the wheels, etc. All of these little parts are physically simulated.

The reason why GT5 and other games like Forza don't use these systems is because it's very time-consuming. Forza and GT can get hundreds of cars into their game much quicker by applying a behavioral box and changing arbitrary parameters than if they were to build and tune all these little parts.

Okay, here, I found this on the LFS site that visually explains what I'm on about:

dwish_lfswip.jpg

Last edited:
Pfft, well I'm not getting excited until they do a Top Gear Test Track for my favourite racing game ever, Indy 500-

http://img222.imageshack.**/img222/3452/indy500hm1.jpg
I've been playing it since 1989 and I still haven't won a full 200 lap race :(

Last edited:
Wow!!

Now that brings back some memories Khaki. I remember playing Indy 500 day after day on my Dad's PC. I never could win a race despite the amount of time I spent playing it :lol:

if someone converts this it would be finished :lol:

ser8ep.jpg