GTA IV (PC)

My specs are pretty close to yours, except the video card:

Vista Ultimate 32-Bit
2.66 C2D
4 GB DDR2
HD 4670

I'll try updating my ATI drivers.

Also, since I've been hearing so many things about how Windows 7 is so much better than Vista (performance-wise, especially), should I consider switching to 7 from Vista? Would it significantly improve overall performance and game-performance?

Edit: I'll try this Catalyst 8.12 when I get home today, since it was made primarily to boost performance of GTA IV. I think I have 8.10 currently.

Last edited:
Erm, why don't you try 9.9 since they came out less than a month ago and not more than a year :lol:

EDIT: If you are playing games, always keep drivers updated unless you have specific problems with a certain release.
EDIT EDIT: (I should read the whole post before responding) If you have a decently powerful system (you do), there isn't a huge performance difference, but there is a small one so I say go for it. Just don't expect it to immediately solve all your problems.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm quite behind on my Catalysts. :rolleyes: :lol:

I'll try 9.9 and see how that goes. Then, if that hardly improves performance, I'll probably get Windows 7.

Make sure you fool around with the shadows value in the settings. I believe shadows look like that on low settings (i.e. the shadows are very low resolution and are enlarged).

And yes, this game eats computers for breakfast. They intended it to. It looks excellent on medium settings (better than consoles) but will look nuts in a year when we all max it out. :)

Looks like I'm quite behind on my Catalysts. :rolleyes: :lol:

I'll try 9.9 and see how that goes. Then, if that hardly improves performance, I'll probably get Windows 7.

Wow, I wasn't very specific. I was referring to Vista -> 7 with there not being a huge performance difference. I my experience there was quite a significant performance difference in the new drivers since 9.8.

Well, I installed Catalyst 9.9 and the performance got WORSE!

Now what?

Edit: Ok, I reinstalled 9.9 with uninstalling the current driver first, and the performance is a lot better now. I get 20-50 fps on medium settings. Now I can finally play! :D

Last edited: