Hammond In Car Crash - (Now Moved from Leeds 28/09)

Season 9 will very soon come up. I hope he gets recovered quick enough for the show, I wonder how they are going to run it without him. :cry:

mdeToppi said:
Blythy said:
I think that instead of buying an Xbox 360 or something like that, I think a donation to the yorkshire air ambulance, or a similar organisation - great north air ambulance would be better,

Nothing against donations in general, that?s certainly a good purpose.. but I don?t think Hammond is going to use the ambulance on a daily basis, so in this context.. there are actually a few organisations which give the opportunity to achieve more with the money...

No but the idea is that these services often struggle for funds, and many have to be cutback as a result. Any such worthwhile service that could eventually end up having saved Hammond's life should be supported to help save other people's lives in similar circumstances.

colin002 said:
Season 9 will very soon come up. I hope he gets recovered quick enough for the show, I wonder how they are going to run it without him. :cry:

I think we should just concentrate on Hammond's well-being and hopefully recovery for now. Television shows shouldn't really come into the issue at the moment.

BlackCats101 said:
mdeToppi said:
Blythy said:
I think that instead of buying an Xbox 360 or something like that, I think a donation to the yorkshire air ambulance, or a similar organisation - great north air ambulance would be better,

Nothing against donations in general, that?s certainly a good purpose.. but I don?t think Hammond is going to use the ambulance on a daily basis, so in this context.. there are actually a few organisations which give the opportunity to achieve more with the money...

No but the idea is that these services often struggle for funds, and many have to be cutback as a result. Any such worthwhile service that could eventually end up having saved Hammond's life should be supported to help save other people's lives in similar circumstances.

Like I said before hospitals and rescue groups in the US are always strugling for money so I assume it is the same in the UK. Some kind of card and gift basket, I love the stuffed hamster in a toy 911 idea, along with a donation in his name is a good idea.

jimmytim said:
I normally don't post anything here, but lay my best wishes for Richard for speedy recovery!
Keeping any eye to any updates to his condition.

same here, but hearing such bad news :( surely makes us all hope that he'll be fine soon.
Please keep us updated with any news.

BlackCats101 said:
colin002 said:

I think we should just concentrate on Hammond's well-being and hopefully recovery for now. Television shows shouldn't really come into the issue at the moment.

I see.

I would guess Jezza gives him a super charged wheelchair and have him on the show in that wheelchair.

Without Richard the show aint working.
So they will have him on the show 1 way or another.

BlackCats101 said:
mdeToppi said:
Blythy said:

Exactly, the Great north air ambulance is in almost constant operation at teeside, it's always flying off when I see it. 2 other choppers at newcastle and carlisle are always being reported as being grounded due to lack of funds. They do make a difference, and might have saved hammond's life here.

http://www.greatnorthairambulance.co.uk/
http://www.yorkshireairambulance.org.uk/

the latest from the bbc website sounds good. paticularly jeremys' comment. jezza and james have visited now. Hope he gets better

Top Gear co-host Jeremy Clarkson, who was visiting the hospital, said many motorists were "rooting for" Hammond.

Clarkson was joined at the Leeds General Infirmary by the show's other presenter, James May.

He said in a statement that Hammond and his family were "the most important concerns we have".

"I would just like to say how heartened Richard will be when I tell him just how many motorists and truck drivers on my way here wound down their windows to say they were rooting for him."

Referring to Hammond by his nickname, Clarkson added: "Both James and I are looking forward to getting our 'hamster' back."

Could be more injuries

Could be more injuries

There could be more possible serious injuries because it says 'seriously ill' and that his family isn't going to release anymore information. This usually means that there are a lot of unwanted injuries. It says 'stable' meaning he won't die but there might be a lot more problems even after he have recovered.
Obviously, I'm not sure about what will happen.
:(

Not sure if this has been posted before, but here is the "car" that he was driving.

vampire_dragster.jpg

The Vampire, sponsored by the Swedish company Thule, weighs 2,200 lbs, is 30 feet long and drinks 7-10 gallons of fuel per mile (depending on the speed). The jet-car accelerates from 0 to 272 mph in six seconds and is powered by a Rolls Royce Orpheus jet engine and is theoretically capable of 370mph. The Vampire holds the "Outright British Land Speed Record" with a blistering fast 300.3mph.

That's a really powerful car. It must be a terrific crash at that speed, 300 MPH. :shock: ouch.
It's a miracle that he have survived the crash.

Ive been there, like his family have been, My mum was in a car crash over 4 yrs ago, had brusing in her brain and also her neck was broken in the vertibrae just only inches away from her being paralysed.
Its gonna take time believe me, Just like my mum, Richard is a tough cookee and will fight, believe me everyone involved needs to be tough, if he's had a knock to the head he might have been sadated ,
My mum was sadated for 3 weeks then was brought around and apart from the neck was fine. Now shes being the hyper women she was before it happened.
The no statement from family thing.....
Youve just gotta give the family time to get around whats happened, Believe I wouldnt have had my mum plastered in public I knows hes a celeb but family comes first. we all love him , including me but They all need time, to get their heads around it.

my prayers go with Richard. Hope he gets better soon.

And Public Health and Safety should not be the ones deciding how things work or not work. Accidents happen, and we just need to learn to take them in our stride. It should be the decision of the presenters and journalists who decide if they want to take on a project, not some committee who have taken it upon themselves to 'save' society from the wanton recklessness of these 'renegade' presenters.

If this is the sort of thing that PHS gets their rocks off on, they should start looking at stopping parachuting, rock diving, heck why not driving, while they're at it. Top Gear is not a documentary, it is entertainment, and the speed and powerslides (and the dry wit) is why so many of us tune in to TG instead of FG.

May Richard get better soon. We've lost one great public personality this month, we don't want to lose another.

here's wishing hamster a speedy recovery!!

all our prayers are with him

all my friends and top gear fans in india wish him all the best!!!!!

SAME here in Hong Kong! :thumbsup: