Hammond In Car Crash - (Now Moved from Leeds 28/09)

I so hope he fully recovers and is fine. All the best for him from my side too!

I think sending him more than just a card (a fruit basket or something) would be a great idea. An XBox is rather expensive, but something like flowers or a basket sounds like a plan. :)

We just need to do something ASAP.

I say we send him something car related.... but classy... I am just at a loss to come up with a good idea on that front though!

Please be ok

Please be ok

All our Prayers for him from me and my friends down in M?xico City!!!

Late to this thread, but have been following the story throughout the day. Shocking news - and it blows my mind to think that he was doing this to entertain us. Here's hoping he has a speedy and full recovery, my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

I'm more than happy to contribute to whatever is decided we send to him.

At 300 mph it would skid for a long time before friction got the best of it. I can only imagine how scary that must be going upside down at 300 mph with an open cockpit and the tarmac only inches away from your face. Probably lots of sparks and metal shards hitting your suit and helmet too.

That's something I wish on no one.

fbc said:
Late to this thread, but have been following the story throughout the day. Shocking news - and it blows my mind to think that he was doing this to entertain us. Here's hoping he has a speedy and full recovery, my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

I'm more than happy to contribute to whatever is decided we send to him.

When something is figured out, let me know and i'll contribute. My thoughts are with his family and friends as well.

Hopefully he makes a full recovery...... I just know jeremy is going to take the piss out of him.... and as someone said... all to entertain us......

We should send him some teeth whitner, or has that been used to death already...

I hope so.

But we must remember that he is still in a serious condition. Let's cross other bridges when we come to them, let's just hope that he recovers fully for now.

I agree too that Quentin Wilson's comments seemed unnecessary at a time when Richard's life was in danger-we can have that debate later.

James May is understandable devastated:

May, who co-presents the show, said he was devastated to learn his "old mate" had been injured. His agent, Annie Sweetbaum, said: "James is devastated. He's really shocked, his words to me tonight were: 'He's such a good mate, I'm so upset.' He said as soon as he's allowed, he wants to go and see Richard."

http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article1659608.ece

All the best to Richard and his family...

Just got home from work and was confronted with the news on the main page... SHocking, just shocking. Terrible that this has happened and I join all in wishing him a quick recovery.

In addition to presenting Top Gear for the BBC, he also fronted Brainiac on Sky One and had his own show on Five.

His show was on ITV1 I thought. BBC got that wrong.

Wow, I could see TG putting May into that too, like they did with the race car last season. But glad to see he's getting better.

clarkson statement:

Top Gear co-host Jeremy Clarkson, who was visiting the hospital, said many motorists were "rooting for" Hammond.

Clarkson was joined at the Leeds General Infirmary by the show's other presenter, James May.

He said in a statement that Hammond and his family were "the most important concerns we have".

"I would just like to say how heartened Richard will be when I tell him just how many motorists and truck drivers on my way here wound down their windows to say they were rooting for him."

Referring to Hammond by his nickname, Clarkson added: "Both James and I are looking forward to getting our hamster back