Hatchbacks.

Hatchbacks.

• Total voters
It was a very close call between the type R and the mazda.

the type R edged it with its futuristic styling, but id still be very happy with the mazda (255BHP? ftw)

I've got a Pug 206 GTi (not the 180 or RC sadly) and it's an absolute hoot on the twisty roads we have around here. Can leave other much more powerful cars well behind.

There's something to be said about the torque too.

But out of the cars in the Poll - It would be the Golf GTI for me. Would like to get one as my next car.

It was a very close call between the type R and the mazda.

the type R edged it with its futuristic styling, but id still be very happy with the mazda (255BHP? ftw)
Huh, right ...

Have a look at this:
Turbos, by nature, have reduced operating ranges, but the Mazdaspeed 3 seems to be particularly susceptible to that limitation. It has prodigious torque in the midrange, but the engine feels anemic below 3000 rpm or above 5500. Honda's normally aspirated Si makes at least 85% of its maximum torque from 2000 to its redline. That means that if you floor the Honda's loud pedal anywhere between two and eight grand, you'll have at your disposal at least 85% of the maximum quoted torque. VW's turbo GTI will hand over at least 70% of its peak number at any time from two grand to its own redline. The Mazda is far behind the others at 20%.
from that page: http://www.automobilemag.com/features/0610_gti_civic_mazdaspeed3_dyno/mazdaspeed_3.html

Theres the Leon cupra, the toyota corrola T sport, probably an alfa romeo.
I gave the GTI the vote because i have had little experience with any of these and the VW does get very good reviews.

CAR magazine has a comparison between the new Civic and ALL the hatches (Mini Cooper, Renault Clio 197, BMW 130i, Volvo C30 T5, Audi S3, VW Golf R32, VW Golf GTI 30, Ford Focus ST, Opel Astra OPC, Seat Leon FR, Mazda 3 MPS).

Verdict? They say that the new civic is the new hot hatch king.

I would have to go with the GTI, partly because my girlfriend owns one and it's really really fun to drive. I don't know about the ST, so I'll stick with the GTI.

Is it too late to change my vote? I found a Mk3 GTI VR6 for sale locally. It's very tempting. 8)

CAR magazine has a comparison between the new Civic and ALL the hatches (Mini Cooper, Renault Clio 197, BMW 130i, Volvo C30 T5, Audi S3, VW Golf R32, VW Golf GTI 30, Ford Focus ST, Opel Astra OPC, Seat Leon FR, Mazda 3 MPS).

Verdict? They say that the new civic is the new hot hatch king.

The Honda is a solid choice. Just don't get it yellow, unless you want your car to look like a giant bumble bee.

The Honda is a solid choice. Just don't get it yellow, unless you want your car to look like a giant bumble bee.

I'd never do that. A Ford Focus ST in orange would be lovely though.

Is it too late to change my vote? I found a Mk3 GTI VR6 for sale locally. It's very tempting. 8)

I used to own a Mk3 Golf vr6 syncro... Great engine.. I really miss it.. :cry:

I saw 5 C30's leaving a hotel this morning, in Buffalo, NY.

Sorry about the cellphone pics, I didn't have my camera on me like I usually do.
c302.jpg

c303.jpg

Last edited:
Id pick the Octavia vRS out of all the hot hatch range, from that selection id go fro the GTI, good looker ad performer. Also has that VW quality and reliability, in-fact want to buy a Mk III one later this year or if I get enough dosh a VR6.

If it werent for Honda's screaming VTEC engine, id go for the reliable Mazda: direct-injected more powerful AND more reliable than the already expensive GTI.