Have problems installing USB wifi reciever onto my desktop

yuchungman

Here's my spec:
Intel Core i5-750(stock clock)
ASUS P7P55D
4Gb RAM
GTX 260+
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

I used to have an Edimax EW-7711uan USB reciever. It worked fine in two XP systems I used to won. When I try to install it with the the reciever plugged in, the prograss bar stuck and didn't move. I plugged out the reciever and the installation was completed. But after that, the software that runs the reciever cannot detect the reciever when I plug it in, and windows can't find a proper driver to run the reciever. The real headache is that when the reciever is plugged in, I can't either shut down my computer or boot it up(after the windows loading screen, everything went black). The software that runs the reciever is installed, but I can never get into the window of the program.

I thought it was the manufacture's problem of making a bad driver for Windows 7.. So I bought a Tenda W311U reciever and the same problem occured: Can't install while the reciever is attached and the software can't detect that damn reciever. But this time Windows says they've found a driver that can run the reciever as soon as I pulled out the new reciever. But I still can't make it to work.

I've put a lot of money into the new system, and it is simply a heartache to see it doesn't work, please help!

Last edited:
IIRC, you're not supposed to plug those things in until after you've installed all of the proper drivers and such. Try uninstalling all of the software for both dongles, restart, then reinstall the new software/drivers for the dongle. Once it completes, plug the new dongle in. Hope that helps.

The Edimax reciever doesn't require to plug in during installation, but Windows still says it can't find a proper driver to run it. In "Device and Printer" window (somewhere in the control panel) the system reconize the reciever as 802.11 n WLAN. I tried to manuelly install the driver in Device Manager, but Windows always says that the driver it has (which is from Microsoft) is the newest one and no action seemed to be made by Windows.
The Tenda reciever though, requires to have the reciever plugged in during installation or it won't move on, but when I plug in the reciever and begin the installation, the prograss is stuck at zero and cannot prograss for minutes. When I plug the reciever out, the installation prograsses and completes. But when I plug the device again, the software that runs the reciever cannot detect the reciever.