Have you ever called the Emergency Services? (911.999 112, etc)

Forgot to add the one time I called 911 because my car had been broken into. They redirected me to the non-emergency police line, bringing me back to the point that we should have more than one number here in America. Granted, most of our population probably couldn't remember more than one number... but at least they might stop getting calls about McDonald's being out of chicken nuggets.

I thought they introduced a 311 number in America years ago for non-emergency calls.

Everyone kept calling that to order pizza.

That flew right by you didn't it? :p

Not once in my life. - And I'm 38. - Never had or saw a crime, an accident or a fight. Never broken a bone, never even been in a hospital besides visiting other people.

Just recently at about 2:30 AM when a girl cried for help and banged on my door, with only a slip on, she stated that her BF wanted to go out to party that night, but she refused, so he proceeded to smash up the apartment. She also said that she still has a dog in the apartment and that I should go get the dog out, please. I knocked on the door, but her BF seemed to have left already, she gave me the keys and I opened their apartment door, the fridge was upside down horizontally on the ground, the kitchen cupboards were ripped off, in the distance behind a bed was a dog looking very intimidated, I had never seen such a site in my life, and didn't want to enter the place. This other neighbor who heard the screams came down and I called the police. Who showed up and were annoyed that the offender aka her BF was not around.

I also lent her some pants because she was cold with almost nothing on in the hallway. She never said thank you, nor did she return the pants, she claimed they were "comfy" and that she wears them for sleep.

----

Got rear-ended once, the guy and his gf wrote down their number plate for further processing of the incident and their phone number, but he made a very poor effort with his handwriting (on purpose) and then his GF claimed the car was probably already damaged like that. I got mad and called the police. He drove off with his gf anyway. The police was very helpful, took pictures of the damage, saw his car color on ours, my description matched his silver Nissan almera in the number plate database and his insurance paid for the repairs, despite he still claimed he never had an accident....

----

I also called an ambulance once after witnessing an accident in a tunnel on the way to school with my dad (lived in spain at the time and his spanish is rather poor :p) This guy in an old peugeot lost control hit walls left and right of the tunnel and crashed into the median bushes just after the tunnel ended. We stopped and I called an ambulance, we then approached the car and my dad lifted his head up because it was resting on the door frame with broken glass and he was bleeding from his temple, we put a blanket we had under his head instead. Before the ambulance arrived he regained conciousness and was in great distress that he will be in trouble, walking up and down the hard shoulder still bleeding, he reeked of alcohol.....the ambulance arrived, and they didn't seem to be care much for the situation but took him away anyway.

Not once in my life. - And I'm 38. - Never had or saw a crime, an accident or a fight. Never broken a bone, never even been in a hospital besides visiting other people.

Switzerland must be really boring :p

I've reported a car on fire on an Austrian autobahn once. Didn't stop to help though, because I saw that everybody was out and safe behind the guardrail, and I didn't have an extinguisher anyway, so there wasn't much I could've done. They probably called 112 before I did, too - but better make sure.

I calles the police a few times to report things like debris on the Autobahn or a misplaced manhole cover that I didn't manage to properly close by myself. A few weeks ago I called police non-emergency to report a car that has apparently been abandoned near my place. But that still sits there...

I've had to do it loads of times, too many to count. With my job I'm both on the road a lot so I tend to come across accidents quite a bit and because I'm a trained first aider I always stop if there are no emergency services there. Also due to the nature of my job and the people that I deal with on a daily basis I've had to call both police and ambulance to deal with situations I can't deal with. A selection of some of them are:

I was in the prison van - we had no custodies - on the M25 (the ring road around London) and this woman in a Volvo doing about eighty slammed into the crash barrier when her front tyre blew. We were a couple of vehicles behind her but because of the higher road position we could see everything. We managed to avoid the wreckage of the car and pulled over on to the hard shoulder. At this point cars had slowed down but we still trying to squeeze past the accident. I sprinted across three lanes of motorway to get to her car when I discovered she had a small child in the vehicle with her. She was absolutely hysterical but not injured and neither was the child. Another motorist got the traffic to stop and before I could stop her she got out of the car. I helped her and the child across the road and sat them in a truck cab of a driver who had also stopped to help while I called the emergency services, the police and the ambulance. I then spoke to her husband on the phone because he was also hysterical and tried to calm him down. It's a miracle they weren't killed but they didn't seem to be injured at all. The ambulance turned up and took the mother and little girl to hospital to be on the safe side. The police didn't even show up. About twenty minutes after the accident the traffic wombles and a few drivers pushed the car out of the road and then they swept up the debris. As far as I know the police never showed. I got an award at work for stopping to help.

I've called the police when a man was beating up his girlfriend outside a pub. They were very fast and the incident was still happening when they turned up. She didn't want to press charges but he got aggressive with the police so he was arrested for that.

I called an ambulance when one of my prisoners got up from the bench in his cell, collapsed and cut his head open on the door. He was unconscious for a while and he had a seizure but when the paramedic arrived (lone first response paramedic) she dragged him up off the floor when he had said that his neck hurt. We all just looked on in amazement. His head was pouring blood but she had clearly decided that because he was a prisoner he must be faking. I had to handcuff him to me and we took him to the hospital. I stayed cuffed to him for most of the day.

First time: I was in 9th grade and at home alone. My idiot neighbor, a grown man and dentist, was setting off illegal fireworks in his back yard (we live in a place where fireworks are strictly prohibited due to the chance of burning down the entire mountain, launching fireworks were illegal for the whole state for the same reason). Next thing I know a tree on the property line between our house and another (not the fireworks launcher) is on fire, flames were easily 2-stories tall and threatening a power transformer. I called 911.

Driving up one of our local canyons I came upon a motorcycle pillion rider laying in the middle of the road, unconscious. I told someone standing around hang up with her brother-in-law and call 911 while I rendered first aid and treated for shock. She was transported via helicopter.

I have called 911 many times to report drunk drivers, I don't even keep track of that.

Driving in the Bay Area through "The MacArthur Maze" interchange in Oakland, I saw a semi-truck half-off the overpass wall about 80 feet off the ground with the driver trapped inside. The cab had hit the point of the concrete and the container had come forward and crushed the cab, jamming the door. The whole rig spun part way off the ramp and was hanging over the wall. Again, I told someone else to call 911, then I grabbed a big crowbar off the cab used for winching down load straps and with the help of two other drivers levered the door open and extracted the driver (Note: NEVER do this if the vehicle is stable/not on fire, you will likely cause serious injury). He had a big gash on his head and was disoriented. I stabilized his spine, treated for shock, checked for concussion/closed head injury, and started to dress his wounds with the stuff in my first aid kit. When paramedics arrived I gave them a report on his condition and then they let me wash my hands in water from the fire truck while standing in the middle of the interstate. And I still made it to the airport in time to meet my brother's flight.

Called when I got rear-ended in the Civic a couple years ago.

Last edited:
Nope, never

couple of times, once when an asshat ran up the back of my car (5 car pile up) and the second when someone was walking down the middle of the freeway (at oncoming traffic) at night screaming abuse at people

First time: I was in 9th grade and at home alone. My idiot neighbor, a grown man and dentist, was setting off illegal fireworks in his back yard (we live in a place where fireworks are strictly prohibited due to the chance of burning down the entire mountain, launching fireworks were illegal for the whole state for the same reason). Next thing I know a tree on the property line between our house and another (not the fireworks launcher) is on fire, flames were easily 2-stories tall and threatening a power transformer. I called 911.

Driving up one of our local canyons I came upon a motorcycle pillion rider laying in the middle of the road, unconscious. I told someone standing around hang up with her brother-in-law and call 911 while I rendered first aid and treated for shock. She was transported via helicopter.

I have called 911 many times to report drunk drivers, I don't even keep track of that.

Driving in the Bay Area through "The MacArthur Maze" interchange in Oakland, I saw a semi-truck half-off the overpass wall about 80 feet off the ground with the driver trapped inside. The cab had hit the point of the concrete and the container had come forward and crushed the cab, jamming the door. The whole rig spun part way off the ramp and was hanging over the wall. Again, I told someone else to call 911, then I grabbed a big crowbar off the cab used for winching down load straps and with the help of two other drivers levered the door open and extracted the driver (Note: NEVER do this if the vehicle is stable/not on fire, you will likely cause serious injury). He had a big gash on his head and was disoriented. I stabilized his spine, treated for shock, checked for concussion/closed head injury, and started to dress his wounds with the stuff in my first aid kit. When paramedics arrived I gave them a report on his condition and then they let me wash my hands in water from the fire truck while standing in the middle of the interstate. And I still made it to the airport in time to meet my brother's flight.

Called when I got rear-ended in the Civic a couple years ago.

:rofl:

Never finish your post with the least impressive story. :lol: