Video: Help getting 3 displays to work with an AMD R9 270

maxtortheone

Chicken Fiddler
Car(s)
2006 Renault Clio 1.4 16V
So I recently got a Gigabyte R9 270.

I have two monitors and a small TV, all with HDMI input, all 1080p. The two monitors are connected via two single link DVI-D to HDMI cables while the TV is connected via a simple HDMI 1.4 cable, as you can see pictured here in this diagram:

4k8G0pN.png

Only two displays can be active at once with this setup, if I want to use the TV I've got to disconnect my secondary monitor and the TV will connect.

I've recently got a passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and with the TV connected with that adapter and the HDMI cable it's the same.

Also, got another HDMI cable and connected the secondary monitor to it, the TV via the DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and HDMI cable and the primary monitor with the DVI-D to HDMI single link cable. Same thing.

So, considering that the R9 is advertised to support up to 6 displays (with an active DisplayPort hub obviously) what is the ideal combination of cables to just connect 3 displays with HDMI input?

According to this article you no longer need to use the DisplayPort which was a requirement on the previous cards, but I think there could be a problem with the DVI-D -> HDMI-cables. Maybe you need active adapters DVI -> HDMI.

The monitors only have HDMI inputs, no DVI? It should work with two native DVI plus one HDMI.

Yeah, my only other options are to get a couple of dual link DVI to HDMI cables and/or a active DP adapter. I think I'll get the cables and go from there.

Yeah, finally got things straight thanks to this video

The card that's advertised to support "Up to 6 displays with the use of a DP MST Hub" actually only does 5. I guess 5 is in the "Up to 6 displays" range. Yeah, you can't have two DVI and a HDMI, two DVI and DP with a passive adapter. You can have two DVI and a DP with an active adapter, and two DVI and 3 on DP with an MST hub.