Help! I doubled the size of my engine!

Whappeh

Car(s)
05 Nissan Xterra 4x4
All that talk of Imprezas in the ultimate Evo build thread made me want to buy one, so this morning I bought in haste. I hope I won't repent in leisure.

Went out and snagged a clean 06 Impreza 2.5i. Yes, its not a WRX or an STI... but for the price I paid, and what I got on my trade in, coupled with the fact that I gained like 10mpg (up from an average of 15 in the RX8) made me bite.

What else made this fun? Got back into manual. Yes, I had an auto-RX8. Let the incoming laughter come. This is the first time I've touched a manual in a while, so it was rather funny driving back home, but the touch is returning. Only stalled it once on the trip.

I'll get photos coming up soon.

Reactions: Jay
What kind of miles does it have? Getting back into stick shifting is (almost) always nice, so good for you.

33k for an 06, it was carfacts clean (not the end-all-be-all, but a start).

Congrats! Hope you're happy with it. Looking forward to some pics. Can you tell us what color it is at least?

Its Grey... previous owner tinted the hell out of the windows, I'm fairly sure its illegal tint in FL, but I guess I'll find out if I get pulled over. :lol:

I'll grab some pics after the rain passes.

coupled with the fact that I gained like 10mpg (up from an average of 15 in the RX8) made me bite

I never get this bit, the cost of replacing the car always outweighs any fuel saving gained over typical mileages.

LOL an auto RX8 that is funny. Congrats on the car d00d I want to see some mad tyte jdm drifts yo :p

1.3 vs 2.5 Close enough to call it doublt. gtfo n00b

Congrats on the car man! The thing I'm wondering about is why you didn't get a bug-eye WRX? Much faster and probably cheaper.

There are various methods of calculating the engine displacement of a Wankel; the Japanese regulations calculating displacements for engine ratings on the basis of the volume displacement of one rotor face only. This is widely accepted as the standard method of calculating the displacement of a rotary, however comparing a piston engine to a Wankel rotary using this displacement convention is flawed and results in large imbalances in specific output in favor of the Wankel motor. Many believe this is for marketing purposes on Mazda's part.

For comparison purposes between a Wankel Rotary engine and a piston engine, displacement (and thus power output) can more accurately be compared on a displacement per revolution (of the eccentric shaft) basis. This dictates that a two rotor Wankel displacing 654 cc per face will have a displacement of 1.3 liters per every rotation of the eccentric shaft(only two total faces, one face per rotor going through a full power stroke) and 2.6 liters after two revolutions (four total faces, two faces per rotor going through a full power stroke). This is directly comparable to a 2.6-liter piston engine with an even number of cylinders in a conventional firing order which will also displace 1.3 liters through its power stroke after one revolution of the crankshaft, and 2.6 liters through its power strokes after two revolutions of the crankshaft. However, a Wankel Rotary engine is still a 4-stroke engine and pumping losses from non-power strokes still apply. But the absence of throttling valves and a 50% longer stroke duration result in a significantly lower pumping loss compared against a four stroke reciprocating piston engine. Measuring a Wankel rotary engine in this way more accurately explains its specific output numbers, as the volume of its air fuel mixture put through a complete power stroke per revolution is directly responsible for torque and thus horsepower produced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine

Sorry, no photos yet. I'll produce soon. Weather and general lazyness, coupled with the White Sox perfect game has kind of made my day hectic.

Level: Why this car? After trade in for my RX8 (which was paid off), I only owned 1500 on this car, which I paid off on the spot. If you could find a bug-eye WRX that has nearly as good miles that is that cheap I'd of taken it. As much as I crave performance and all that jazz, I do need to be somewhat practical. Plus, in a few years, this car is a good blank slate for any number of things I would or could potentially want to do with it.

Nice car you have there. I used to have one and let me tell you, they can sure take a hit.

Damn, you people make me look at Imprezas for sale... :p

Ah stuff it, you're just mad that your 13B isn't as good as an RB26 despite displacing the same :lol:

edit: in during LOL ROTARY trainwreck

And to the OP: congrats on the new car! Can't say it'd be my first choice but not a bad one by far.

Last edited:
Ah stuff it, you're just mad that your 13B isn't as good as an RB26 despite displacing the same :lol:

edit: in during LOL ROTARY trainwreck

And to the OP: congrats on the new car! Can't say it'd be my first choice but not a bad one by far.

Its NOT the same displacement. Volume is volume, there is no way around it. I can see why you might be tempted to count two revolutions instead of just one, but I don't think that that's correct. So stuff it.

bartboy9891, thanks for posting that btw. knowledge is power!