Help! Ice Maker Leaking Water

Timbits93

Car(s)
2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport line
Well, title explains it.

Our 12 year old refridgerator with an ice maker is leaking water.

At first i think it was still making ice and water lines from the leak were visible inside the freezer, explained why there was water from the dispenser.

We turned it off, then turned it back on and went out for a bit, came back with water on the floor.

At this point we don't know if it made any ice or not.

So we'll probably test it tomorrow since we'll be home for most of the day.

Any suggustions to the problem or ways we can troubleshoot it?

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:
Can you just leave it off to prevent it from leaking? Ice is overrated, and if you really need it, then get the little trays. It's the quick and cheap fix...

Cuz it can be an easy fix :p

$200 for replacement of the maker, $1000 for a new fridge xD

Jeebus, that much for a new fridge, really?

Do you get any incentives for getting new fridges? I know in California they have "Energy Star" fridges that use less energy than older ones and they're offering rebates on almost every fridge right now.

The Incentives for us would be from our electric company.

Giving us $30 for throwing it away, giving us $50 for buying a fridge that is energy star rated.

Total of $80 of incentives.

Apparently, i think its just overfilling all of a sudden.

Its like its filling double what should be in the tray compared to a week ago when the ice maker was fine and no leaks or puddle ice made in the tray.

Well, title explains it.

Our 12 year old refridgerator with an ice maker is leaking water.

At first i think it was still making ice and water lines from the leak were visible inside the freezer, explained why there was water from the dispenser.

We turned it off, then turned it back on and went out for a bit, came back with water on the floor.

At this point we don't know if it made any ice or not.

So we'll probably test it tomorrow since we'll be home for most of the day.

Any suggustions to the problem or ways we can troubleshoot it?

Thanks,
Tim

Seriously, what part of this forum suggested to you that we might have any idea about how to fix leaking fridges? :p

That said, the fridge is 12 years old. I'd recommend replacing it.

Last edited:
You will save the money in the long run by replacing it with an Energy Star model due to lower power consumption, compressor efficiency, and insulation.

WHat happened to Duck Tape solves everything? XD

WHat happened to Duck Tape solves everything? XD

duct-tape-3m.jpg

+

wd40_0.preview.jpg

+

222268-hammer_large.gif

= Solution to everything

Though on the fridge, I don't know much about how the ice makers work but I would assume there would be some sort of check valve of some sort to only allow so much water in, perhaps it's not working.

Yep, just checked, took 2 hours for the maker to drop ice [even though it only took an hour before]

And it overflows with water probably for double what the usual amount of time it usually allows.

Probably time to just get a new fridge since the panel in the interior that covers the dispenser is cracking o_O

$200+ is not worth it for a 14 year old refridgerator [checked manufacturer date, built in 07/95]

Nice hammer, WD-40 would make food taste like it though xD

Sad thing is that,

Our kitchen appliances are white, and we want to go stainless steel.

Oh well, white or stainless steel xD

But we'll probably live with no ice for a bit :/

Stupid ice maker, why break now when summer just started?!?!

Because devices break or malfunction when they are most needed.. :p

Stupid ice maker, why break now when summer just started?!?!

Who cares?

A) Use the fridge to keep your drinks cold until you drink them. It's better than ice.

B) If you really need ice:
icetray.jpg

Make some yourself.

Ice maker? Bah! My family's never owned a fridge with an ice maker in our lives before! When we moved to MA in '98, we already had a creaking old fridge that's still working fine, 11 years later! You damn kids don't even know what you're missing! Now get off my lawn! :wheelchair: