Help me diagnose a problem

Whappeh

Car(s)
05 Nissan Xterra 4x4
Since it got cold (Cold is a relative term, but I'd say since it has gotten and stayed under ~50F) my transmission is acting a bit funky. Going from First to Second when going up the gears, and going from Third down to Second is usually hard to physically move the shifter. It feels like going from First to Second that there is a "bite" that doesn't want to let it go from first to second with out a bit of force. Often times, going down the gears, I can't get it into second at all. I'll have to make a turn coasting in neutral and put it in third then rev the shit out of it to get it going.

I've only had the car for a few months, and in the warmer months I never had problems like this.

Could this be metal reacting funky in the cold temps, or would you say this is a larger issue with the transmission?

I'd also like to add that it doesn't do this when I totally warm up the car in the mornings (totally warming up means to full operation temp).

Dunno if this would cause such an effect, but oil is more viscous the colder it becomes.

Maybe it's time to change your transmission oil ;)

Changing gear it's always harder when the transmission oil is cold, but not that hard.

Tranny oil just needs to warm up. I have similar issues from time to time. Before you set off, just work the stick through all the gears, up and down. Do it several times if you have too. Once you get moving, wait until you're at a red light or stop sign and repeat as needed. Also, depending on the mileage since your last tranny fluid and filter change, that may play a role. Consult your manual for replacement schedule.

Sounds like a syncromesh problem. Try using some Redline Shockproof oil.