Help Pick LeMan's Dad's New Car

LeMans GTR

Our Jaaaaaaaaaag is currently on the fritz (see random thoughts automotive edition) and as a result, I've been given the liberty of choosing the new car just in case it cannot be cured.

Criteria

- 5 seats
- Stylish
- Luxury
- Reliability
- Reasonable Running Costs

And the hard part

Under 63000 AUD

Oh and no suggestions for compact executives, he would look stupid in them.

Last edited:
Why not have a Maserati?

My_Maserati.JPG

^ He's a bit of a badge whore so something European would be preferred.

^ He's a bit of a badge whore so something European would be preferred.

he ain't going to get anything perticularly fantastic for that price range unless you wanted to go the volvo or saab route...

Or even a VW perhaps?

The problem with Australian cars that unless you lease them there normally a bad choice from resale point of view. I'm still a strong beleiver in Australian made cars but that's probably their main fault, the ones we have at work get a fair amount of use and are still in as good condition as any other car in the fleet (like crapolas or prius)

^ Yeah, I'd never ever buy a Commodore or a Falcon brand new. They lose almost 25% of their value as soon as you drive them off the lot which is extreme. Most two to three year old examples are fetching around 50-60% of their original price. That's a good enough reason to avoid the G6E Turbo or the Calais (both fantastic cars though) for your dad if he wants something brand new. Unfortunately as H_H said, at that price range your options are limited. Still, if like me, you're beginning to nose around a few examples that are two to three years old with reasonable k's, then it's brilliant :p

I don't think European is all that brilliant, especially in the harsher Australian conditions. They're massively overpriced for what they are and built in South Africa anyway, so there goes your German engineering tag :p

What about a Mazda6 Luxury? Accord Euro, Lexus may have something in that price range as well.

Just grab the latest Wheels or Top Gear Australia magazine and flip to the price guide section.

Last edited:
Accord Euro is recommended, though obviously I prefer the previous generation (it's nicer to drive than the new one)

I think that might be your best option, a fully loaded accord euro is less than fifty and very nice. Otherwise you're bottomscraping the bmw/merd/audi range.

he ain't going to get anything perticularly fantastic for that price range unless you wanted to go the volvo or saab route...

Or even a VW perhaps?

The problem with Australian cars that unless you lease them there normally a bad choice from resale point of view. I'm still a strong beleiver in Australian made cars but that's probably their main fault, the ones we have at work get a fair amount of use and are still in as good condition as any other car in the fleet (like crapolas or prius)

It doesn't necessarily have to be BMW/Merc/Audi so VWs/Skodas/Saabs/whatever are all fine.

We're also willing to look for used models, but only those 1-2 years old

Alfa 156
Second hand M3 :p
Mondeo (very good for that money) ST220
Skoda Octavia RS (apparently very good)

But I would go for:

Subaru Legacy/Forester

VW Phaeton or Audi A8.

Second hand, obviously, but you could get damn good stuff (and very new, still) for that money over here - I just don't know what car prices are like in Oz comparatively.

VW Phaeton or Audi A8.

Second hand, obviously, but you could get damn good stuff (and very new, still) for that money over here - I just don't know what car prices are like in Oz comparatively.

No chance of getting an almost brand new Phaeton or A8 for the money they're looking to spend.

Alfa 156
Second hand M3 :p
Mondeo (very good for that money) ST220
Skoda Octavia RS (apparently very good)

But I would go for:

Subaru Legacy/Forester

And i would go for RS...or mondeo.. otherwise nice list.

VW Phaeton or Audi A8.

Phaeton was never sold here and the A8 is very pricey.