Helping others in need, a collection of things and apps to do it

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Mazda MX-5 NB ringmeet fashion accessory
In these strange days, it's more important than ever to think about disadvantaged and handicapped people and how they can cope with these kinds of situations. Since many able-bodied people have more free time, but aren't able to volunteer anymore since many establishments had to shut down now it's the time to use technology to our advantage. To this end I want to collect tools and apps which can help others even from the confinements of a (quasi-)curfew.
It goes without saying that even after the CoViD 19 crisis is over you can continue to use the tools. ;)

I'll to update the first post to accumulate everything in one post instead of having to sift through (hopefully) many posts.

• I'm beginning with the app Be My Eyes. It's an app for Android and iOS where blind or visually impaired people can request help, sighted volunteers from all over the world take the call and lend the blind or visually impaired person their eyes through the camera of their smartphone. :)
  • Then, to make this not just about handicapped people, if you are living in an apartment building and have books to spare you could contact the landlord/landlady to establish a corner for swapping books, for example a shelf in the stairwell including a short note what that shelf is for. I don't recommend just putting a cardboard box with books on the floor since some people might see that as garbage and either throw it out or put their real garbage next to it.

I'm beginning with the app Be My Eyes. It's an app for Android and iOS where blind or visually impaired people can request help, sighted volunteers from all over the world take the call and lend the blind or visually impaired person their eyes through the camera of their smartphone. :)

I installed it years ago when it came out and so far I only helped one person, but it felt AWESOME.