Hemiheads Homebrew Harmageddon

20 bottles of ale are now resting in my computer room, waiting for the second fermentation that will give it carbonation. Two weeks until the opening of the first bottle!

So... Yesterday was the big day of testing...

b2ukZ7j.jpg

And I am pleasantly surprised! It's a good pale ale with mild bitterness and a long after-taste. Carbonation was ok, the foam disappears very quickly tough but that might improve if I age the bottles a bit more. All in all, success! :D

Second batch is going into the pot tonight, tweaking the recipe slightly this time. Going to use a belgian ale malt this time and add a bit more hops to give it a bit more bitterness.

So, after some (2,63 minutes according to reliable sources) thinking, I decided to throw carefulness to the wind. Placed a ?50 order where most of it is hops. We're going IPA, baby.

30 33cl swing-top bottles arrived today. (Thanks Jay and Spectre for the name clarification!) This will be used to house my coming IPA. Currently researching ways of getting the brew clearer through the ways of adding small amounts of gelatin when the yeast have done it's job and something called cold-crashing, bringing the beer close to freezing so particles sink to the bottom of the fermentation vessel.

Cleaning the equipment and then going for the kitchen. This is the most boring thing ever, I just hope my dear son sleeps tonight so I can brew.

Something went wrong during the mash-out or lautering, the wort didn't have the right amount of sugar for the yeast to eat to get to the desired level of alcohol in the finished product. I put it on fermentation anyway but i am very unsure about the end results.

So... The IPA was a fail, way too boozy to be enjoyable. I did however put together a recipe for a single-hopped brown ale that i hope will be quite good. It's in bottles now, awating carbonation.

30 33cl swing-top bottles arrived today. (Thanks Jay and Spectre for the name clarification!) This will be used to house my coming IPA. Currently researching ways of getting the brew clearer through the ways of adding small amounts of gelatin when the yeast have done it's job and something called cold-crashing, bringing the beer close to freezing so particles sink to the bottom of the fermentation vessel.

Gelatin fining on a small scale is very difficult. You could strip phenolics or mouth feel. Irish moss would be a good way to go, but with cold crashing you shouldn't need it.

Gelatin fining on a small scale is very difficult. You could strip phenolics or mouth feel. Irish moss would be a good way to go, but with cold crashing you shouldn't need it.

I'm using something similar to Irish Moss when i brew, but i found that cold crashing removes quite a bit of particles. So i'll continue on that route. :)

Single Hop Ale with Nelson Sauvin! I'll give a report as soon as they carbonate a bit.

tBgdFHo.jpg

It's been very quiet here, and for good reason. I am cobbling up a new brewing setup which will be half-automated and capable of much bigger batch sizes. How big? Well, the pot can handle 100 litres...

updates, man, updates! :D what's going on with your ridiculously sized half-automated setup? also, i am bored, i want to brew some beer :p

I want to try my hand at brewing so hard, but it's way too expensive. Maybe I should plant my own Hops next year. Good luck with your brew, mate! Sounds good actually.

Ah yeah, in the spirit of X-Mas:
I used to have the same avatar as you and once made a Christmas version. If you want to use it, help yourself.
x-mas1.gif

Last edited:
I want to try my hand at brewing so hard, but it's way too expensive. Maybe I should plant my own Hops next year. Good luck with your brew, mate! Sounds good actually.

Ah yeah, in the spirit of X-Mas:
I used to have the same avatar as you and once made a Christmas version. If you want to use it, help yourself.
x-mas1.gif

Very late reply, but I say go for it! The world needs more homebrew. :)

Also, good news! It's not a Dacia Sandero but it's my first try at a lager/pilsner! A Dortmunder Export is boiling away at the stove as I write this.