Herpaderp and general screw-ups thread

Don't yank somebody's vine?

Today while mowing my dad's grass, I saw a Virginia creeper vine growing on the side of his house. I decided to pull it off the house, but failed to see a group of wasps building a nest on said vine. This resulted in me getting stung by a red wasp, on my nose.

It's been about 6 hours since the sting occurred and by face is still slightly swollen and it's difficult to breath through my nose from the swelling.

I have learned a lesson today...

So now you look like you have a drinking problem?

This resulted in me getting stung by a red wasp, on my nose.

and

I have learned a lesson today...

Many years ago, I was riding a road bike (as in: bicycle) and wearing a collarless shirt. A red wasp flew down the back of said shirt.
I learned two things that day:
1. Watch out for bees when riding a bicycle and
2. Red wasps can sting multiple times - and each sting is just as painful as the one before it! :censored::censored:

SL

And now, for my latest screw-up:

I've been working - off-and-on lately - on my MK II Jetta GLI.
One of its problems was that the headlight dimmer in the multi-switch stopped working, so I ordered a new one.
Since I had the steering wheel off to replace that part, I decided that I might as well pull the instrument cluster and send the speedometer off to Rick at Overseas Speedometer in Austin because the trip odometer wouldn't reset or rotate properly. I have a spare speedometer assembly which I've used before, so I thought I'd just pop that in and use it until my speedometer came back from Texas.

Being late July and Ohio, it was hot and humid; my hands were sweaty and I was attempting to put the speedo/tach 'cassette' back into the surround when it slipped and dropped all of 2 inches onto the workbench. The tach popped out of the assembly and landed face-down on the bench, breaking off the needle. I immediately called Rick and he assured me that he had the proper needle in stock and to just re-assemble the unit and ship it to him. After making sure my hands were dry, I put the assembly back together and started packing it - and accidentally pressed the trip reset. You guessed it - the drop onto the workbench jogged whatever was stuck back into position. :?

In any case, the assembly is back in Ohio and all I have to do is re-install it. And, it's been completely cleaned and lubricated and has a shiny new tach needle. But... Rick certainly had a good laugh at my expense! :blush:

SL

Don't yank somebody's vine?

Especially if something is living on it.

So now you look like you have a drinking problem?

Less Jimmy Durante, more mild elephant man.

Many years ago, I was riding a road bike (as in: bicycle) and wearing a collarless shirt. A red wasp flew down the back of said shirt.
I learned two things that day:
1. Watch out for bees when riding a bicycle and
2. Red wasps can sting multiple times - and each sting is just as painful as the one before it! :censored::censored:

SL

Ouch, number 2 doesn't sound pleasant. Luckily this one only got me once. I did have a bee fly into a vent on my helmet while mountain biking earlier this year. Before I could get the helmet off the bastard stung more forehead.

And now, for my latest screw-up:

I've been working - off-and-on lately - on my MK II Jetta GLI.
One of its problems was that the headlight dimmer in the multi-switch stopped working, so I ordered a new one.
Since I had the steering wheel off to replace that part, I decided that I might as well pull the instrument cluster and send the speedometer off to Rick at Overseas Speedometer in Austin because the trip odometer wouldn't reset or rotate properly. I have a spare speedometer assembly which I've used before, so I thought I'd just pop that in and use it until my speedometer came back from Texas.

Being late July and Ohio, it was hot and humid; my hands were sweaty and I was attempting to put the speedo/tach 'cassette' back into the surround when it slipped and dropped all of 2 inches onto the workbench. The tach popped out of the assembly and landed face-down on the bench, breaking off the needle. I immediately called Rick and he assured me that he had the proper needle in stock and to just re-assemble the unit and ship it to him. After making sure my hands were dry, I put the assembly back together and started packing it - and accidentally pressed the trip reset. You guessed it - the drop onto the workbench jogged whatever was stuck back into position. :?

In any case, the assembly is back in Ohio and all I have to do is re-install it. And, it's been completely cleaned and lubricated and has a shiny new tach needle. But... Rick certainly had a good laugh at my expense! :blush:

SL

Almost anytime I have an instrument cluster apart I end up breaking something on it. I should probably just leave them to the professionals.

Bought dashcam for the Beetle.
Installed dashcam.
Went for a drive.
Looked at videos.
Wondered why they were blurry as fuck.
Found protective film on lens :bangin:

I may have made a small error while submitting a (non-binding) meter reading to my elecricity supplier... I'd swear I put in 31.935,5 kWh, but the confirmation page did say 319.355 kWh. :blink: It has since been corrected, automatically perhaps, but at 288.640 kWh, the resulting consumption would have been enough for the next 100 years or so. :lol:

huh, wouldn't have thought it possible that they actually run checks on those numbers :D but I guess that exceeds the capacity of the connection anyway, so somebody at some point would've noticed.

1 - This should have been in here, not in "The "Things that annoy me" thread"

Just realized I ordered the wrong Blu-ray movie earlier this week, Kung Fu Panda (which I already own on DVD) instead of Kung Fu Panda 3, but the shipping fee to return it would be 65% of the purchase price (10$), so might as well keep it.

2 - When I decided to put the KFP3 Bluray on the shelve yesterday, I realized that we actually already had a copy, so now I have duplicates of both KFP1 and KFP3 :wall:

I seem to have killed my Motarola Xoom with lemonade. I once dropped it about 4 feet onto a ceramic tile floor and laughed it off. A small spill that was not noticed for a few hours was all it took.

I had already replaced it, but still used it to stream to my old plasma TV.

I done and broke my internet. Which also means no TV. Which means angry missus. It all started when I noticed an annoying icon on my raspberry pi. Turned out it wasn't getting enough power, so there was some advanced fiddling with wires. Of course, the wire which worked without the error was the shortest, meaning I needed to plug it in somewhere else... many, many minutes of swearing later and swapping tons of plugs around....everything worked, or so I thought.

...except my DSL modem...
After more swearing and faffing around (just using a different outlet couldn't have caused this, right?) I discovered I'd actually knocked the phone plug out of the wall.... herpaderp

Belgacom?

Yes, but I do believe unplugging the phone breaks the connection in most cases. So still mostly me being stupid

Yes, but I do believe unplugging the phone breaks the connection in most cases. So still mostly me being stupid

Usually plugging the phone line back in should get you going again. Weird that it hasn't in your case.

It did eventually, after multiple modem resets and also resetting my tv box twice...first time it started up the image was garbled.
But at this point the Mrs was already too angry and just went to bed instead. Oopsie

It did eventually, after multiple modem resets and also resetting my tv box twice...first time it started up the image was garbled.
But at this point the Mrs was already too angry and just went to bed instead. Oopsie

Telenet here, not that they are that much less crap but things do keep working if the phone is unplugged (except the phone).....friend of mine has an 'unstable' phone connection, Belgacom, 3 tv's playing in her pub AND she's a technofobe....good times that, good times.

Trying to speed up getting snow off the back window of the Saab by using a snow shovel. Hear a crunching noise. Yup, that's my third brake light lens shattered. Why the fuck is it even on the outside of the car?! Amazingly it still works, and the light bulbs are doing a great job melting the snow that is now packed in there, but I had to garage the car because it's going to rain in the next few days and I don't want moisture leaking into the tailgate and/or short-circuiting anything. Thankfully this part is still available online.

A push broom works great and I doubt it will break things.