History Channel gives Top Gear USA the axe

Yeah, cancelling a show that has become one I've really looked forward to sucks, especially the way Tanner, Rutledge and Adam have gelled. I guess they think a grumpy old man, his money hungry son along with his arrogant kid (who looks like a tattooed Eddie Munster and probably partakes with), a brain-dead meth head is more entertaining than TGUS.

Yeah, cancelling a show that has become one I've really looked forward to sucks, especially the way Tanner, Rutledge and Adam have gelled. I guess they think a grumpy old man, his money hungry son along with his arrogant kid (who looks like a tattooed Eddie Munster and probably partakes with), a brain-dead meth head is more entertaining than TGUS.

To much of America, they would unfortunately be correct in that thinking. :(

Not turning this into a political discussion, the way this country is heading, you may be correct.

This is really sad news. Sure, the first couple seasons were pretty bad, but it improved season after season and episode after episode and has been thoroughly enjoyable for a long time now. (I suppose if you wanted an exact clone of the CMH show you would *always* be disappointed, but let's face it, no other trio is ever going to be that damn funny, and I think had they tried to clone the CMH version it would have come off extremely fake). I liked the presenters a fair amount and especially enjoyed Tanner's great driving.

Last edited:
It's really a shame.
since season 3, the show was really cool and great to watch. the last series was really good.
Was hoping for more. :(:cry:

I wonder how Top Gear USA does for ratings in the UK (I believe Dave shows it)? Maybe they can send our three boys over to host the mothership show now that Chris Evans has left. :p

Aww, this sucks. I really enjoyed TG USA!

You and me both. Season 3 was the start of greatness and I really thought this was going to be something long term. Guess my opinion of the History Channel unfortunately is they only care about "reality" and other bullshit. At least I'll still have (I hope) Vikings.

Figures once they gelled as a group and found a format that worked they would get cancelled to make room for another shitty "reality" series.

^ This. This channel sucks skag sick now. <-- Borderlands reference.

Or Amazon.

HAH! Hell yea, that would be great.

So I'm having a hard time finding Season 6 anywhere. Is it lost or will at some point be a time where Netflix/Hulu/DVD get it? I completely missed that entire season apparently.

You and me both. Season 3 was the start of greatness and I really thought this was going to be something long term. Guess my opinion of the History Channel unfortunately is they only care about "reality" and other bullshit. At least I'll still have (I hope) Vikings.

^ This. This channel sucks skag sick now. <-- Borderlands reference.

HAH! Hell yea, that would be great.

History Channel, what is a cable/sat network that has pretty much nothing to do with "History'

I always enjoyed watching Modern Marvels.

History Channel, what is a cable/sat network that has pretty much nothing to do with "History'

I always enjoyed watching Modern Marvels.

You said it. It is sad that Discovery and History are now full of useless "reality" TV drivel and not actual useful programs with, you know, worthwhile knowledge. And you wonder why so many people (especially millennials) seem so under educated and lacking in general interest in anything not on their phones. It isn't just a North American problem either...

You said it. It is sad that Discovery and History are now full of useless "reality" TV drivel and not actual useful programs with, you know, worthwhile knowledge. And you wonder why so many people (especially millennials) seem so under educated and lacking in general interest in anything not on their phones. It isn't just a North American problem either...

this is why i stopped watching TV years ago.
i watch just a few shows on streaming services and sometimes the news on TV, when i am visiting my family.
TV worldwide went stupid some time ago. just fake "reality shows" and shows about people who are so stupid, that they should be banned from reproducing. even channels, that showed mostly educational content and docu's went the road down to "mass stupidification". about 99.9% of all TV channels in the world should change their slogan to "Lets make the world stupid again" or "Who wants to be a caveman?".

Reactions: JCE
this is why i stopped watching TV years ago.
i watch just a few shows on streaming services and sometimes the news on TV, when i am visiting my family.
TV worldwide went stupid some time ago. just fake "reality shows" and shows about people who are so stupid, that they should be banned from reproducing. even channels, that showed mostly educational content and docu's went the road down to "mass stupidification". about 99.9% of all TV channels in the world should change their slogan to "Lets make the world stupid again" or "Who wants to be a caveman?".

LOL. Great post. Sums it up pretty well I think!

Yes, I've been thoroughly enjoying the latest TGUS - way, way better than TGUK with Evans. I got a real giggle from the Winter Drop Top ep. - way more spontaneity than Evans and co.

Wait, so people who have been together for eight seasons, and about 72 episodes have produced a more polished show than a group together for six episodes. How entirely unexpected.

Necro bump. Because, I'm at work and bored.

Well I finished watching that last series finally and I'm a bit perplexed on why the BBC decided to axe those three presenters? They really had some good chemistry and these last few episodes were golden.

I don't think the BBC had anything to do with it. The show was on the History Channel.

Anyway, the new version starts Sunday on BBC America.

I don't think the BBC had anything to do with it. The show was on the History Channel.

Anyway, the new version starts Sunday on BBC America.

Didn't the BBC originally own the show or did Discovery own it and just had the Beeb's permission to use the name and such?

I don't know the specifics, but I will bet they were employed by the History Channel.

Didn't the BBC originally own the show or did Discovery own it and just had the Beeb's permission to use the name and such?

BBC Worldwide produced the show with Reveille Productions. That being said, I expect the hosts had contracts with The History Channel.

Good to know.

The good news is it looks like they will be going some kind of a show together. :)