Honda Accord transmission problem help

awdrifter

My cousin has a 1999 Honda Accord (4cyl auto). The transmission is acting up recently. The shits are very harsh, like if you gentlely give it some gas, it'll suddenly grab a gear and surge forward, but after it goes into gear, it's not slipping. I don't know how to describe it well, I'll try to take a video if he comes over.

But just from the symptoms I'm describing, does it sound like it's because the friction plates are worn (his car has 130k miles) or does it sound like a bad valve body?

Thanks.

Is there a dipstick on these transmissions to check the fluid?

I was having hard shifts until I changed my transmission fluid.

Mark my words...no matter what manufacturers claim, transmission fluid needs to be changed every 30,000 miles.

He took it to a shop and the guy told him it needs a transmission replacement. But it sounds like they're try to screw him. If the friction plates are really worn, then I guess replacing the transmission makes sense. I'll try to take a video of it. Thanks for the replies.

The transmission on the 97-01 Accords is known to be problematic. Take it to the dealer and see if they will do anything for you - some of them are subject to a silent recall of sorts and the replacement may be free or at reduced cost.

I looked into the recall, it only extends the warranty to 100k, his car is over 130k miles, so I doubt they'll cover it. Anyways, he said he'll just let the mechanic replace the transmission, so I guess that's that.

I also have the same problem, when ever I shift from neutral to drive it'll take a second before it goes to gear and if I step on the gas before the 1 second delay it'll act violently. what transmission did he replace? it is a newer one?

The transmission in my little 94 Accord does nearly the same thing. It almost feels like the friction plates are worn out, but not quite. I'm actually starting to suspect that it's something else inside the tranny, though, like the electronic lockup torque converter...

That sucks, transmissions seems to be the achilles heel of the accord ^Clegko how are you planning to fix yours? Does anyone know if newer 5 speed auto match perfectly to old accord engines? mine's a 2.0 99' accord I'm just wondering if they might fit and improve performance and economy.

Last edited:
IIRC, the ECU must communicate with the automatic on those cars, and the older ECU isn't able to communicate intelligibly with the later transmission's TCU.

That sucks, transmissions seems to be the achilles heel of the accord ^Clegko how are you planning to fix yours? Does anyone know if newer 5 speed auto match perfectly to old accord engines? mine's a 2.0 99' accord I'm just wondering if they might fit and improve performance and economy.

I'm going to roll the damn car off of a cliff. :D

IIRC, the ECU must communicate with the automatic on those cars, and the older ECU isn't able to communicate intelligibly with the later transmission's TCU.

ohhh haven't thought of that, electronics these days you can't fix them by yourself, most of the time.

^clegko hahaha Lol. noooo... not counting the transmission problem I still think the accord is a pretty decent everyday car agile and nice to drive. :D

Last edited:
ohhh haven't thought of that, electronics these days you can't fix them by yourself, most of the time.

^clegko hahaha Lol. noooo... not counting the transmission problem I still think the accord is a pretty decent everyday car agile and nice to drive. :D
What the fuck Accord have you been driving? My Accord is neither agile or nice to drive.

Hahaha! a 1999 Accord I sweat it's a really decent handling car for its size

Cleko, that's because yours has been Oklahomaed. :p

I wouldn't say they were agile, but for the class they were rather fun to drive. The competition in the form of the Camry was a lot worse.

As for electronics? No, I find that most of them are repairable, but in the sense of swapping out modules and assemblies rather than component-level repair. Then again, you're talking to a guy that's been known to completely rebuild 80s Jaguar wiring harnesses.

Yup maybe not agile haha but they are fun to drive.

My skills in these electronic things is 2/10 haha last time I had to call someone to fix a the switch(on the brake pedal) for the brake lights. Spectre your automotive skills is well above average haha, as I believe that if one has been able to fix old British cars/european, they can fix almost anything. :D European cars a hell a lot more complicated compared to American or Japanese car.

Last edited:
Spectre your automotive skills is well above average haha, as I believe that if one has been able to fix old British cars/european, they can fix almost anything. :D European cars a hell a lot more complicated compared to American or Japanese car.

I wouldn't go that far. They're not that hard once you figure out whatever logic the engineers used to put them together; also, the wiring diagram for my 'simple' Japanese truck is ridiculously complicated compared to my European cars in general, so that part isn't always true, either. American cars after the 80s aren't simple either - in fact, they're sometimes the hardest to solve problems on due to poor documentation, running changes, and just plain idiocy.

There is no logic to BL electrical systems.

And once you realize the logic is 'none', then you know how to fix it! :D

Well, my cousin paid the mechanic to have the transmission replaced. It seems to be fine now.