Honda F1 For Sale / Pull Out?

Let's wait until official confirmation pops up on F1 news sites. If it's a done deal, it should appear on Pitpass or Grandprix.com in the next day or so, because those websites have reliable sources that can supply stories ahead of other websites like Autosport.

EDIT: Grandprix.com lists him as a potential buyer for Honda, alongside David Richards. But nothing is confirmed yet. Let's hope something will be confirmed before the New Year and we'll have a 20-car grid in Melbourne...

Last edited:
I hope this is true. I wonder what engine they'd use.

Rumour is that they'll use the Ferrari customer deal that Force India had, because of Ross Brawn. Or maybe he can do what Gerhard Berger did and talk Ferrari into supplying them with the same engine spec as the engines in Felipe and Kimi's car.

EDIT: Pitpass has run this story as a yet unconfirmed rumour, and it also says that, should this deal fall into place, the team will be using Ferrari engines due to Ross Brawn's Maranello connections.

Last edited:
Was kinda hoping for Prodrive to buy it...oh well, at least it's saved...

It's not confirmed yet, however. In the mean time, the deadline is looming.

But what better New Year's gift to the Honda engineers and workers than someone rescuing their team and their jobs? However... one message to the future owners: GET RID OF NICK FRY.

^^What's wrong with Nick Fry? (Sorry if I don't know something I should :p)

Nick Fry replaced David Richards at the helm of the team after the 2004 season. Except for Hungary 2006, and a few races at the end of that season, it's been a steady downhill route under his command.

;) Didn't know that...in that case, you're right, he should go...

I'm just really afraid of someone like Mallya buying Honda, just an entrepreneur. I thiink Prodrive, a racing compney, would do a much better job...

^ That would be certainly better, but the most important thing is that someone buys Honda, they have to keep the team alive... if he decides to leave F1 after a couple of seasons, a racing company can still buy it afterwards...

Headline on Autosport now is "Slim one of four speaking to Honda"... TBH, when I read it, I thought there was a surprise bid from Slim Borgudd! :lol: In line with Ironlord's wacky predictions.

Slim denies Honda buyout talks

Monday, 29 December 2008 01:26

The Telmex Racing team owned by Carlos Slim has denied reports that the Mexican billionaire is set to buy Honda?s Formula 1 outfit.

Stories circulating in the South American media and in Italian newspaper La Stampa on Saturday suggested that Slim had reached agreement on a buyout deal that would see Jenson Button and GP2 star Bruno Senna drive for the team.

However, Escuderia Telmex categorically denied the reports in a statement published on its website on Sunday.

It said Slim ?has not bought, nor is he negotiating to buy, the Honda Formula 1 team, and therefore all reports to this effect are without foundation and completely false.?

Honda team bosses Nick Fry and Ross Brawn are exploring a number of options in their efforts to find a buyer for the Brackley-based F1 team, which is fighting for survival following the Japanese manufacturer?s decision to pull out of the sport because of the economic crisis hitting the car industry.

While on-track activities have been cancelled and engine production has ceased, Honda has been continuing with development of its 2009 car to bolster the team?s attractiveness to prospective buyers as a ?turn-key? operation with full constructor facilities and a ready-to-go ?09 package.

Source

Well that rules Carlos Slim out.

Source

Well that rules Carlos Slim out.

Well it doesnt rule Slim out, it just means that Telmex think their noses may be put out of joint if Slim were to purchase the Honda team. They're seeking to cover their own asses here, so they'll post that to reassure their stakeholders that all is well.

I don't care who buys Honda, as long as they buy it. Senna might be exciting to watch. Poor Rubens..

I really do hope that prodrive does by Honda, when David Richards and prodrive were running BAR in 2004 they got it up to 2nd in the constructors championship and Jensen was 3rd in the drivers. They haven't seen such good results since Nick Fry and Honda took over! Prodrive + Brawn could the perfect combination

^ I agree - I'd rather see Prodrive buy them and still use Honda power.

last thing the grid needs is yet another ferrari team.

Ecclestone: Button should take a sabbatical
30 December 2008

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone believes it is a shame Jenson Button has signed a three-year deal with Honda now the team has pulled the plug from Formula 1. Button has already said he will continue to race with the possible new buyer but Ecclestone believes it would be better for the Briton to step out one year and wait for a top team to hire him.

"It's a pity because he's committed to Honda for three years," Ecclestone told the Telegraph. "He should be in any of the top teams. I'd rather see him wait to get a seat in one of those than race in an uncompetitive car."
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/12/30/ecclestone-button-should-take-a-sabbatical/

Um, what? And what if a "top team" doesn't hire him? I'd much rather have a guaranteed three year seat than give it up on a gamble that a "top team" would hire me.

I think Bernie needs a sabbatical more than Button does.

How about a 50 year sabbatical for Bernie? If he's still alive then, he can have another crack at it...

No, Jenson should have moved to Williams when he had the chance to.