Horsepower

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
16,487
Location
belgium!!
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
:oops: :oops:

i taught it was the PGO speedster :unsure:
 

Dr. Woo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,134
Location
Virginia
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
bone said:
:oops: :oops:

i taught it was the PGO speedster :unsure:
I don't mind the PGO Speedster...I saw a few at the Paris show this year.

But then again, nothing comes close to the original.
 

CanadianLoonie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Messages
678
Location
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Car(s)
1993 Acura Integra RS sedan
I knew that car looked somewhat familiar! It's just that the colour that threw me off...most 356s I've seen in photos are in black and white...

My favourite classic pre-911 Porsche is the 550A Spyder.
 

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
16,487
Location
belgium!!
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
it's not a pimped up 356

it the chassis, suspension, steering, engine, ... of a peugeot 206, with fake porsche body panels :bangin:

like i said: a POS
 

qube

Active Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
266
Location
Leeds, UK
qube said:
US use Net Horsepower which is the power to the wheels and about 75% of the Euro BHP.

This is why the HP figures for US sportscars often look low in comparison to their Euro rivals.

Matthew
Tsk, never believe what you read in a book, I got that from the illustrated history of US vehicles.

However after your protests I did a swat up on the net which reveals it's not correct.

This is:

Pre 1972 the US measured horsepower from the flywheel but the engine was removed from the car when tested, this gave a figure 25% (on average) higher than if they'd tested it inside the car as they weren't loosing any power from friction etc of the other components being there.

So they started using Net HP which is what everyone else was already using.


Matthew
 

Wutputt

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2004
Messages
71
Location
Belgium
Dr. Woo said:
No, no no no...PS is short for Pferdest?rke (quite literally "horsepower"), which is a different method of measuring engine power, though ends up with very similar results to the SAE measure of engine power.
Though with more powerful engines the difference between the SAE and the DIN standard becomes bigger. Since it isn't neccesary to drive the auxiliary equipement not required to operate the engine, with the SAE standard. But it’s mandatory to do the measurements with the whole engine including all extra equipment with the DIN standard.



LoudPipe said:
British BHP and US hp are SAE based units, SAE net to be exact, and as such they are the same. European & Japanese use DIN hp (or ps) so they, again are the same.
Japanese don't use DIN, certainly not in Japan, since it's a German standard. They use JIS, although the methods of this Japanese standard are almost exactly the same as for the DIN standard.

In Europe we use ECE, DIn, bhp and CUNA, although the Italian CUNA standard is not that widely spread.
 

chaos386

.sa = bad driver!
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
7,960
Location
Back in Saudia
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR
Wutputt said:
Dr. Woo said:
No, no no no...PS is short for Pferdest?rke (quite literally "horsepower"), which is a different method of measuring engine power, though ends up with very similar results to the SAE measure of engine power.
Though with more powerful engines the difference between the SAE and the DIN standard becomes bigger. Since it isn't neccesary to drive the auxiliary equipement not required to operate the engine, with the SAE standard. But it?s mandatory to do the measurements with the whole engine including all extra equipment with the DIN standard.
I think you got mixed up, because SAE numbers are always lower than DIN numbers. I think this small difference is why the new M5 will have 507hp DIN: so it can be advertised as 500hp SAE in America. As a comparison, the Mercedes S600 is 500hp DIN/493hp SAE. ;)
 

Wutputt

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2004
Messages
71
Location
Belgium
chaos386 said:
I think you got mixed up, because SAE numbers are always lower than DIN numbers. I think this small difference is why the new M5 will have 507hp DIN: so it can be advertised as 500hp SAE in America. As a comparison, the Mercedes S600 is 500hp DIN/493hp SAE. ;)
Idd I got mixed up, with the current SAE standard, the measurement is done with all auxiliary equipment mounted on the engine, so the same as with the DIN standard. The only diference is the fact the conditions between the SAE and DIN standard are different, so the DIN ratings give a bit higher power outputs as the SAE ones (about 1,4% which complies with your examples).

Only with the old SAE standard (not used anymore) it wasn't nessecary to run all auxiliary equipment. I got mixed up with that one. Sorry for that ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top