How do you find cars on CL/Ebay/etc...?

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
So I've been searching for a few somewhat rare cars lately. I'm starting to get back into the project car market, but I've promised myself I'm going to do it right this time. No rush buys, start with a good solid foundation, etc.

So here's my question. How do you go about finding the right deals, on the right cars, when it seems as though there are only 1 or 2 of those cars (and some times none) available on the market. I've tried expanding my search (mileage wise) but it doesn't seem to be turning up many more results.

What do you do? Special key words? Advanced search techniques? Patience and persistence?

I have, and do use SearchTempest, and it's great. But it's lack of certain search functions can be somewhat annoying and cumbersome

A lot of it is patience, persistence, and being willing to travel for the right car.

You can check club forums for the particular car you're after; many clubs do have classified ad sections. The big benefit is you're pretty well assured to get a well cared for example.

The drawback is that club members know what they have, what it's worth, and price it accordingly.

Also search 'off-axis' - common misspellings are a good place to start for that.