How does the iPhone function as an mp3 player

Shadowness

Car(s)
Caged Clio 182 Track Car
So im at the stage where im looking to replace my good old Sony NW-A3000. Its battery is struggling now, and I will be glad to get rid of the shockingly bad sony software.

Of course, I looked into the iPods, specifically the touch models. But im thinking I can kill two birds with one stone, and get the iPhone. So im asking how the does the iPhone perform as an mp3 player? Is it basically the same as a iPod touch? Whats the battery performance like? (I know it will be affected by the phone applications too)

All comments appreciated :)

It has an "iPod" button in it's dock that you press which takes you to all of the video/audio features that the Touch has. Simply put, AFAIK there's no difference.

I don't know about the battery though as I have a Touch (so wasting batter on the cell bit) plus mine is jailbroken meaning I have extra processes running (like sending to Last.fm) which blow battery. I burn through it rather fast.

The Iphone has a higher capacity battery than the Ipod touch so their playback time per charge is about the same though if you make a few calls it would obviously drop.

http://www.ipodbatteryfaq.com/ipodbatteryandpower.html

The 3g iphone has the same battery specs.

The iPhone is basically an iPod that is also a phone, so it works the same as iPod.

So the answer is: pretty crappy :lol:

...and I will be glad to get rid of the shockingly bad sony software.
If you think Sony's software is shocking, I have some bad news for you about iTunes...

iTunes is pretty good... on the Mac.

iTunes Windows isn't horribly bad, despite what some people say about it.

There is one thing that iTunes won't do that Sony's stuff will - automatically rootkit your machine when you install it. :p

If you think Sony's software is shocking, I have some bad news for you about iTunes...

I use iTunes as my music player on my PC. I honestly dont know why people hate it, its incredibly simple, which is what I want. I tried Winamp, but hated it.

I use iTunes as my music player on my PC. I honestly dont know why people hate it, its incredibly simple, which is what I want. I tried Winamp, but hated it.
What in the hell? Seriously?

It's interface is crap, it likes to crash all the time, has a large memory footprint, etc.

Why did you hate Winamp?

Why is its interface crap?! Its laid out so simply, which is what I want. Winamp was to fiddly for me, and had loads of shit which I didnt want.
Plus, what really annoyed me is that when switching from the main library to playlists, it always goes back to the top of the list. So you have to scroll down each time, which really pissed me off. Another thing is that in iTunes you can set the shuffle and loop controls independantly in the library and each sperate playlist. In wimap, as far as I know, you couldnt.

Since the 64bit iTunes came out, I've not had a single problem, and it only crashed once on the normal version (and i've been using it for years!)

Songbird seemed like a nice alternative, and if I ever get rid of iTunes, I will probably use that. I will never use shitty winamp though!!
ALso, winamp is associated with AOL! And thats never a good thing! :p:lol:

My iTunes 64bit likes to lock up when I plug in my iPod.

I was on this route of thinking recently but remembered something fairly obvious but I don't know if it'll affect you too much ...

Flying.

This was what made me go for the Touch over the Phone, can't listen to an iPhone on an airplane because you can't have a mobile phone switched on, on an airplane. Not much point int loading it full of music you can't listen to on a long haul :)

^ You can have the phone radio switched off while the device is still on.

...not that airline personnel have the mental capacity to comprehend such a thing.

Yeh you can have the phone in flight mode. Tbh, I dont think flying will put me off as im not jetting all over the world taking snaps lol!! :D

The only thing im not sure of is how my contract would work, as im with O2 already. But I upgraded my phone in December, so theres no chance of another upgrade. So I doubt you can just buy an iPhone from O2. Which leavees me with eBay, which im always cautious of, especially with iPhones!

Apple's software is way way better then sony's crap, not saying that it's perfect but much better. Iphone's battery life is pretty good for the mp3 but I can't really give an exact number on it. The touch screen is a pain in the ass when you wanna change songs but don't want to whip it out. Overall its good, but by far better then any other other phone/mp3 combo that I've tried.

Get off itunes already... Its fine, especially if you have to have it... My itunes with a modest 3000 song library uses half as much as Thunderbird, which is running 24/7 anways.
It never crashed on me.
My Keyboard does the interface, or my iphone via "Signal" (soon to be replaced by apples native app...)

Shadowness, if you want an iPhone, buy it. You won't regret it, if you mainly need an awesome mp3player with ok sound quality and a phone with optional surfing possibilities, just go for it. The new 3G contracts are like like half what the old ones were in the long run...

Itunes works great for me I don't get all this apple/itunes bashing.

Yeh you can have the phone in flight mode. Tbh, I dont think flying will put me off as im not jetting all over the world taking snaps lol!! :D

The only thing im not sure of is how my contract would work, as im with O2 already. But I upgraded my phone in December, so theres no chance of another upgrade. So I doubt you can just buy an iPhone from O2. Which leavees me with eBay, which im always cautious of, especially with iPhones!

^ You can have the phone radio switched off while the device is still on.

...not that airline personnel have the mental capacity to comprehend such a thing.

I was on this route of thinking recently but remembered something fairly obvious but I don't know if it'll affect you too much ...

Flying.

This was what made me go for the Touch over the Phone, can't listen to an iPhone on an airplane because you can't have a mobile phone switched on, on an airplane. Not much point int loading it full of music you can't listen to on a long haul :)
As far as flying goes, you just switch the phone into the aptly named 'Airplane Mode' which disables the radio services. In America, you'll still need to turn it off under 10,000ft. and/or until the pilot gives the ok to use electronic devices. That is a blanket prohibition on all electronic devices, whether or not they have radios.

As far as music playback goes, it's fine. Nothing amazing. I have an 8gb phone, with only about 4gb of audio and maybe another 1.5gb of video. I'm no audio or video expert, but it sounds and looks good. I frequently load mine up with video and if I'm waiting for friends somewhere I'll just park and set it up on my cars radio knobs and watch some videos.

Like all phones with a camera, the pictures look good while on the phone but if you scale them anywhere above 50% of their actual resolution they look like mediocre at best. And it's horrible at low light pictures.
http://img59.imageshack.**/img59/833/img0093bq3.jpg

Isn't O2 the UK provider? Can't you just restart your contract or pay an ETF (Prorated?) and get the phone?

FYI: if this hasn't been cleared up already, you CAN use your iPhone in Airplane Mode on an airplane. I dont know what I would do without mine. And putting videos on it is relativly simple just need to convert to the right format. I recommend ffmpegx for the Mac. This is how I watch a lot of my Top Gear episodes.

O2 will be selling contract free iphones in the UK for 300 quid for the 8GB and 360 quid for the 16GB.