How edumacated are you?

I've got half a mechanical engineering degree done, half a political science (and international relations co-major) done, and about 3/4 of a journalism degree done. I'm minoring in economics (because of all the math I've taken) and trying to learn both German and Chinese.

In other words, I'm making college a career. At least until people quit loaning me money or I come out with a double undergrad plus co-major nightmare.

I've also got a vo-tech "degree" in welding and metal fabrication, along with a few welding certifications through the AWS. Though those certs have probably expired.

Last edited:
Finishing my final year of getting my Bsc in Civil Engineering, Project Management specialization with minor in Environmental Engineering, Site Remediation specialization.

After collage 99% of you will be flipping burgers at the nearest fast food place.
For people that didn't go to collage and doesn't have huge fucking loans to pay off, instead they went straight to work and got themself a house and car and family and all you got is huge depts and a wasted life.

Sure it was fun at the time you were in collage with all the babes and partying.

The rest of us will be laughing at you flipping burgers while we drive by in our expencive cars and not have to live in a 1 room appartment with 5 other guys that can bearly pay the rent and have to sell themself to corrupt politicans to be their toyboys.?

Yep, cause people who can't spell "college" will surely be driving expensive cars.

(...) The rest of us will be laughing at you flipping burgers while we drive by in our expencive cars and not have to live in a 1 room appartment with 5 other guys that can bearly pay the rent and have to sell themself to corrupt politicans to be their toyboys.?

Oh right the car that was engineered by people with scientific and technical backgrounds who probably studied at some point. And how many objects in your household involve some sort of semiconductor? Most of that was engineered by people holding various degrees.

Btw, I'm living in a big flat (100 m?, 4 rooms, 2 balconies), didn't run into any debt and my career prospects involve little burger flipping (mostly research and development), but thanks for asking :p

edit: Watch Idiocracy if you want to see what the absence of smart people leads to.

Last edited:
MEng in Mechanical Engineering, Working towards CEng (for what its worth in this country... which is next to nothing, it should put me in good stead elsewhere in the world)

thinking of perhaps picking up a 2nd masters, perhaps in Physics, or maybe.... Mathematical Finance (Derivatives and such like), seems like an appropriate thing to do if i decide engineering isnt what i want to be doing any more.

After collage 99% of you will be flipping burgers at the nearest fast food place.
For people that didn't go to collage and doesn't have huge fucking loans to pay off, instead they went straight to work and got themself a house and car and family and all you got is huge depts and a wasted life.

Sure it was fun at the time you were in collage with all the babes and partying.

The rest of us will be laughing at you flipping burgers while we drive by in our expencive cars and not have to live in a 1 room appartment with 5 other guys that can bearly pay the rent and have to sell themself to corrupt politicans to be their toyboys.?

only if you do basket weaving and Jamaican studies

if you do something useful like science, maths, engineering you will be set.... and if you do something that gets you into the smoke and mirrors world of pushing money round in big circles, selling money you dont own and making a metric ton of money back (aka the finance world), then you are also set and will definately be driving expensive cars before your 30's

having said that, if you're an engineer in the UK, you can pretty much expect to be on mediocre income for the rest of your life. if i stay where i am now, my monthly income wont change significantly for...well, a very long time. i.e. a decade. part of the reason why im either a) moving else where or b) going to the dark side... banking.

Oh right the car that was engineered by people with scientific and technical backgrounds who probably studied at some point. And how many objects in your household involve some sort of semiconductor? Most of that was engineered by people holding various degrees.

Btw, I'm living in a big flat (100 m?, 4 rooms, 2 balconies), didn't run into any debt and my career prospects involve little burger flipping (mostly research and development), but thanks for asking :p

edit: Watch Idiocracy if you want to see what the absence of smart people leads to.

it is true, engineering plays a significant part in making the world go round.....our cars, power, water, housing, computers, almost everythign we use in modern life was designed and engineered, oft using technology developed by scientists and researchers. trouble is, its a cant see the wood for the trees world... no one pays attention to it, they just take it for granted. alot of people are ignorant to how power is produced, how cars work, boilers, washing machines etc etc. they dont care, they just use it and to hell with the clever men and women behind it.

ultmately, money is underlying driving force of the world and the closer you are to it, the more money you make... engineering isnt close enough.

Last edited:

Well aside from the fact that a, you are a troll, and b, I realize I probably won't be making large amounts of money for a good while...you're point is largely irrelevant. I'm not in it for the money. When I see a building I designed go up, that will be my nirvana. I am here to produce. Sadly, I cannot do this without extensive college.

having said that, if you're an engineer in the UK, you can pretty much expect to be on mediocre income for the rest of your life.

Unless you do dentistry, medicine, law or banking then you'll never really be anything else than 'mediocre' - unless you know someone or have an ass full of golden hair.

1st english is my 3rd language so excuse me for miss spelling college.

2nd I am not a troll.

3rd do you really think that every single one of you will get a job doing the things you study for?
About 99% of you wont and will end up unemployed until you find a some burgers to flip for the averege joe.

After you all get out from college you need to get a job so you can design something or what ever it is you wanna do.
There are millions others out there right now that are looking for the jobs you wanna do.
Some have lots of experience others are like you with NOTHING but college and that aint worth shit in the REAL world.

College is BULLSHIT.

1st english is my 3rd language so excuse me for miss spelling college.

No problem.

2nd I am not a troll.

Yes, you are.

3rd do you really think that every single one of you will get a job doing the things you study for?
About 99% of you wont and will end up unemployed until you find a some burgers to flip for the averege joe.

After you all get out from college you need to get a job so you can design something or what ever it is you wanna do.
There are millions others out there right now that are looking for the jobs you wanna do.
Some have lots of experience others are like you with NOTHING but college and that aint worth shit in the REAL world.

99%? Citation needed.

A Bachelor's degree doesn't teach you how to innovate, innovators either go it alone or go to grad school to get funding. Also, many professions require you to have an advanced degree - such as mine. It is a requirement for being professionally licensed to practice - such as being a doctor or a therapist.

Finally, enjoy your neg-rep for being a trolling douchenozzel.

College isn't a requirement for a successful life. There are plenty of well to dos out there who never got a degree (Bill Gates for instance). Saying it is worthless is a idiotic though. No matter what degree you get college teaches universal skills such as research, critical thinking, and how to construct a solid argument. These can (and are by some) learned outside of college, but college provides a great opportunity to become highly skilled in these disciplines.

I know of none of my college educated friends who work at a fast food restaurant or similar paying establishment.

Bachelor of Engineering, Degree Programme in Information Technology (Data Network Technology).. Might be pursuing Master?s Degree in same some day..

Also i have ISTQB foundation certificate for software testing :)

And for the fellow finn.. normal route, normal school, high-school/college and then bachelors studies. no loans yet at all.. and last 3 years i have been in a job which i studied for.. and i graduated 2009. Plus i havent flipped a burger yet.. well thats a lie. I have been flipping my own burgers in my patio for some time already.

Caught by a troll, badly.

Last edited:
2nd I am not a troll.
It kind of looks that way from here.

Nope, but I don't see anything wrong with that. Granted, there are silly things one can study, and subjects that are overrun with students. But saying that every degree is useless isn't fair either.

Yeah that one needs some kind of source to verify those numbers of yours.

And this is different to getting non-academic training and do a "normal" job? I understand there's quite a bit of competition going on there as well.

All across the job market people with various amounts of experience are competing against each other, not only in the academic world. If I took up carpentry I would have to compete against people with 5 or 10 ten years of experience in that area. If I study something I have to compete with people who studied the same, and some of them already have a great deal of experience. Again this doesn't seem to be a valid argument against getting a degree, since you will face competition no matter what you train/study. And that real world of yours... is refering to a place where man still has to fight for his meal and money doesn't hold any value?

btw: I really want to understand where you are coming from and why you seem to have this deeply rooted hatred against any form of higher education?

Last edited:

Facts say those with university degrees are about four times less likely to be unemployed than the average person.