How is Juan Pablo doing in NASCAR?

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
i heard he won the daytona 24 hour for ganassi

sounds like hes doing well, NASCAR really suits his rough driving style i think, the cars can take alot more punishment than open wheelers, lets you get your hands dirty.

I think it'll take him a while to do really well in NASCAR, simply because the league is so competitive. He will succeed though, give him time.

One interesting observation... despite his success in other racing leagues, he still has to sport a rookie stripe on his back bumper. :?

One interesting observation... despite his success in other racing leagues, he still has to sport a rookie stripe on his back bumper. :?

More of an amusing one. Indy 500 and Monaco GP winner with rookie stripes :lol:

His efforts so far haven't been brilliant, but he's learning. In Daytona he didn't get the setup right and had severe oversteer and I think he had similar problems in California as well. I think his claim of chasing the overall title instead of rookie of the year is a bit overoptimistic, but we'll see...

At Daytona he was 19th (out of 43).
At California he was 26th (out of 43).

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2007/rr_index.html

He's also 20th in points at the moment. His finish at Daytona was a lucky break with the final pile up right at the end of the race (lol, Kyle Busch), as most of the race he wasn't anywhere north of 23rd.

Montoya is second as far as rookies go, David Ragan (No. 6 taking over Mark Martin's old ride) is doing much better, currently 5th in points (5th at Daytona, 16th at California); however Ragan has the backing of Roush Racing, which is a bigger powerhouse than Gannasi is in NASCAR.

More of an amusing one. Indy 500 and Monaco GP winner with rookie stripes :lol:

His efforts so far haven't been brilliant, but he's learning. In Daytona he didn't get the setup right and had severe oversteer and I think he had similar problems in California as well. I think his claim of chasing the overall title instead of rookie of the year is a bit overoptimistic, but we'll see...

IIRC he was running tight, but from what I understood that happened after a pitstop, so I think that may have been a tire issue (not to mention for what seemed like half the race he was wide open out there by himself, with no drafting buddies).

he is currently leading the busch series race in the mexico city. scott pruett (yes, that scott pruett) is 2nd. boris said, (yes, the boris said) is 4th or 5th. ron fellows (yep) is somewhere in there as well.

i still hate nascar, but atleast the road races are somewhat interesting to watch. atleast i get to watch some of the best road racers. i fucking love boris said. that guy can race anything.

montoya got his first win. he spun out his teammate, pruett, to take the lead position.:hammer: boris said was 3rd.

Yah, too bad about the Pruett incident, I think both of them could have been a bit more careful.
I think he still would have won, but it would have been interesting to watch the battle.
Pruett did a good job too coming from 17th back to 5th in just a dozen or so laps.

Oh yah, Boris Said's fro rules!
boris_said.jpg

Last edited:
I think Pruett shut the door on Montoya, but Montoya still had enough time to back out a bit before he hit him. Anyone remember Montoya and Ralf at indy a few years back?

montoya's tires were 9 laps fresher than pruetts. his car was also set up better. there were 12 laps left at the time of the accident. montoya had plenty of time to overtake his teammate later in the race. if just had to pass, he didn't have to do it by diving into the first corner. that was a dumb move, and shows what a prick he is.

montoya got his first win. he spun out his teammate, pruett, to take the lead position.:hammer: boris said was 3rd.

Didn't he learn after taking out Kimi at the American Gran Prix that wrecking your team mate(s) is a baaad idea.:bangin:

I think his claim of chasing the overall title instead of rookie of the year is a bit overoptimistic, but we'll see...

Chasing for the overall title is a monumental achievement in any "rookie" season (Note the quotation marks... Montoya a rookie?) . To my knowledge, no rookie in NASCAR has ever won the Championship. Denny Hamlin has come the closest I've seen, making the Chase for the Cup last season.

But aside from that, I think Montoya's a very strong contender for Rookie of the Year.

Didn't he learn after taking out Kimi at the American Gran Prix that wrecking your team mate(s) is a baaad idea.:bangin:

i wouldnt worry...pruett is one of those one time racers that nascar teams field in order to score high finishing positions in road course events...so its going to be a while till montoya has to race with pruett again.:p

I don't know much about NASCAR but it seems Aussie Marcos Ambrose is doing pretty well in his first NASCAR year (first year last year was in the NASCAR truck series).

I don't know much about NASCAR but it seems Aussie Marcos Ambrose is doing pretty well in his first NASCAR year (first year last year was in the NASCAR truck series).

Forgot that the last post I tried to make didn't go through. Marcos is 6th in the points race for the Busch Series. I'll have to look up his finishing spots again. Just remember that a lot of the Nextel guys like to race in the Busch series as well, so when you look at the overall results, he's actually doing much better. (He finished something like 24th at California, but in reality was 12th amongst those who actually received points, his other races had him at 5th place amongst Busch drivers, iirc).

Seems like he's going backwards, moving from V8 Supercars to NASCAR.

I figured he'd be more at home with the Truck Series, they're about as rough as the Aussies are. Though it might be that in order of coverage it goes Nextel > Busch > Trucks...though it all depends on the team owner...

I wonder, with V8 Supercars starting to get some international events, if we will see people like JPM decide that, after F1, we have the best circuit racing events in the world.

Not a good day for the international crowd, Ambrose took out Montoya and himself late in the race.
Montoya also hit the wall a bit prior to that incident.