How "manly" is your car?

Well. The 323F is a youth's car. It makes me feel like a lad when I drive it, like I'm still at university. The car was also probably marketed towards secretaries and as people's second car for the wife to drive, so it's not exactly super-manly either.

The Sapporo? It's more of a salaryman's car, for an '80s businessperson to waft around in. Or a car for someone's grandfather or old uncle. It makes sense, but it's hardly a manly performance version.

In my opinion, the 323F scores 5/10 on this scale and the Sapporo perhaps 8.

- - - Updated - - -

Not even I could drive a pink Micra with a straight face. And I love awful cars.

I just completely lost it there. :lol:

Manly?

Nah, can't pull it off.

I drive a supermini with racing stripes. People refer to it as 'cute' all the time. I don't care, most of the people who I cop shit from for having a small car come out from my car whinging about the clutch being too heavy, or in the case of the typical Commodore driver, are simply confused by the function of that strange third pedal that cars smaller in size than their land yachts tend to have. To which I would usually reply, man up.

I do think that men who feel uncomfortable with the idea of driving a small car because they feel it degrades their manliness have some deeper problems. :p

Black VW Golf, AWD, black tinted rear windows, dark grey leather seats, aggressive "GT" line with dark-looking front headlights, 2.0l engine, 17' alloy wheels...

Given the car, I should have almost no penis at all. Which might be discomforting.

On the other hand, I did buy it second hand, it is factory spec and I don't show off. So I figure I might be safe (but, hey, who knows!).

Last edited:
The Golf is ridiculously hard and loud - you might say it's stupid, but don't men tend to do stupid things? ;)

And the Omega I think is very manly - in a Grandpa sort of way ^^ Plus it's RWD :)

I have long since lost count of how many women have seen my car and gone "oh my gawd, its so cute!" I can argue, however, that driving a car that women love and constantly comment on, makes it manlier than a big jacked up 4x4 that women hate (because who wants to climb 8 feet to the cab in heels?) and only butch rednecky men talk about.

Now where's Cowboy...?

You rang?

I don't see the problem here really, we all know the kind TC is talking about, except for obvious reasons here you will find them in things like X5's, ML's and for some strange reason, Honda's instead of jacked up trucks.

What sparked TC to make this topic is unclear, or did I miss something? Did he get in a fight with one of them? Really I want to know, topics like this don't just fall from the sky? :p

As for what you seem to be implying about me..... :dunno:
If that is your opinion about me then please go ahead, It's true I pride myself on being a 'real' bloke, as in I refuse to take part in the whole metrosexual BS, there is very little in terms of practical matters I cannot do, I believe in taking charge rather than standing around like a dolt and I feel "blokishness" is rapidly becoming a lost art in present generations, a problem that will come back and bite us in the arse.

If you perceive these as negative traits and that makes you feel like I am compensating for something....well it's your head not mine, or maybe mine is just wired differently :p

All I know is mine works fine, and I drive a truck because I want to (I assume that was what you were getting at), if I wanted to prove something I would have saved myself a lot of trouble and money and just bought an Audi.

And I really, REALLY don't want a debate.....what I want is a Strawberry Daiquiri with a pink umbrella a cold beer.

Last edited:
You rang?

I don't see the problem here really, we all know the kind TC is talking about, except for obvious reasons here you will find them in things like X5's, ML's and for some strange reason, Honda's instead of jacked up trucks.

What sparked TC to make this topic is unclear, or did I miss something? Did he get in a fight with one of them? Really I want to know, topics like this don't just fall from the sky? :p

Like I said, for me it's not what you drive, but your attitude about it and the things you say. (Not you, obviously, but everyone) Doesn't mean truck drivers or anything else specifically. I happen to own a lifted truck, so I'm certainly not going to lump myself into that group.

Like this thread which is all about how "manly" it is to drive stick and people stating that "real men" ride motorcycles, and so on. If you want to drive stick, than do it. If you want a bike, go for it. But when you're arguing with others about what's more "manly", than I start to think there is some serious compensating going on.

But what really started this was a discussion I heard on the radio. Some guys were poking fun at one of their coworkers at the station for buying a new Ford Focus. Trying to say it's a chicks car and whatever. The guy doing the majority of the bashing owned a lifted Jeep Rubicon and a Nissan Armada with oversized aftermarket wheels. Probably looked something like this:

not his actual car

Personally, I'd rather have the Focus. No doubt Ford spent a lot more money on R&D on the Focus than Nissan spent on the poser-mobile above. But guys who only care about how it looks and whatever false image of manliness they hope to get from it, can't be bothered with spending their money on something intelligent that isn't completely talentless.

My truck is not the biggest one or the smallest. Do I care? Fuck no. Does it carry my tools everywhere? Yes. could a wagon do the same? Sure.

Does it make me more of a man? Not that I can see.

You may think I'm compensating for something, I'm not. I like step side trucks, that is all.

Infact, this is how the truck dealy goes in my family, black one is my brother's, beige is the dads/family hauler

191829_10151208004543653_1495584561_o.jpg

The only reason dad has the Yukon is he wanted a station wagon but nobody makes one (like a Vista Cruiser), he doesn't like Mercedes or BMW wagons because they're too small.

You can tell my brother is compensating because he gets really defensive when you make fun of his truck.

Last edited:
@TC

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation.

One thing though, men like poking fun at other men, just the way it is, so no matter if it's their car, their clothes, their hair, the whiteness of their teeth.......there will always be 'that guy' (something I myself do) poking fun about something or other, cars being high on that list because it's one of the first things people notice about each other.

To give you a case in point: my best mate is 6ft 2, quite wide, shaven bald with a long goatee, is about 70% covered in tattoos and always looks like he is very angry.....while he is the nicest guy on the planet people get out of his way if you know what I mean.

Me? I poke fun of the fact he works as a florist :p

This is not something negative, this is not proving anything about him or me, these are 2 blokes taking podshots at each other.

Last edited:
For sure, and the conversion on the radio was all in good fun. I just think there might bit more than a little projecting going on, most of the time. You know, like when someone is insecure about something, they'll turn around and attack or poke fun at others for the same thing. Convenient way of focusing the attention on someone else to stay out of the spotlight. Make fun of the guy in the Focus for not driving a big manly 4x4 and accuse him of not being a man, while sweating nervously and shifting his eyes at the others to make sure they're going along with it. I thought the same thing every time Jeremy Clarkson made fun of Hammond for his white teeth. Try to make having white teeth something to make fun of, before someone starts making fun of the brown barnacle infested stumps you have for teeth. Still funny, but says more about the person doing the bashing, than the person getting bashed.

I tend to agree with that, but I really do think you are reading a little to much into it, what you are in essence describing is the playground bully principal : feeling better about themselves by tearing into someone else and the positive attention generated from it.

While this idea is very sound, I don't think this is the case most of the time, and it certainly is not exclusive to the 'manly versus wimp' stereotype, it's just.....something people do, some more than others (Clarkson being the perfect example) but I really don't think it's on purpose.
Speaking for myself, I don't feel like I have anything to prove to anybody, or distract attention, or feel better about myself, and I'm way to dumb to be insecure, I guess I just do it because I want to provide people with a laugh, never really thought about it until now.

When thinking about it, is not most humor at someones expensive in some way anyway?

Last edited:
Interestingly enough I read somewhere that pink used to be considered a manly color until about mid 20th century or so.

Baby books up to around the 1920s had pink as the color for boys and blue for girls. Why that reversed isn't very well documented.

As for "manliness", it really all depends what type of masculine archetypes you want to emphasize. Flareside and his family are emphasizing the "provider" archetype, hard workers and such. He actually does have a use for them where he lives, because it's more exurban there than suburban and pickups have actual work use. MWF is emphasizing the "active" archetype with his Miata; he's showing the world that he's energetic. As for me, I'd say m'Fit appeals more to the "practical" archetype.

So, essentially, every car is manly in its own way. Except for the pink Micra C+C. There's no way to spin that one.

My truck is not the biggest one or the smallest. Do I care? Fuck no. Does it carry my tools everywhere? Yes. could a wagon do the same? Sure.

Does it make me more of a man? Not that I can see.

You may think I'm compensating for something, I'm not. I like step side trucks, that is all.

Infact, this is how the truck dealy goes in my family, black one is my brother's, beige is the dads/family hauler

191829_10151208004543653_1495584561_o.jpg

The only reason dad has the Yukon is he wanted a station wagon but nobody makes one (like a Vista Cruiser), he doesn't like Mercedes or BMW wagons because they're too small.

You can tell my brother is compensating because he gets really defensive when you make fun of his truck.
I'm sure Subaru would be happy to sell him a wagon, IIRC they still have wagon Legacys

- - - Updated - - -

@TC

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation.

One thing though, men like poking fun at other men, just the way it is, so no matter if it's their car, their clothes, their hair, the whiteness of their teeth.......there will always be 'that guy' (something I myself do) poking fun about something or other, cars being high on that list because it's one of the first things people notice about each other.

To give you a case in point: my best mate is 6ft 2, quite wide, shaven bald with a long goatee, is about 70% covered in tattoos and always looks like he is very angry.....while he is the nicest guy on the planet people get out of his way if you know what I mean.

Me? I poke fun of the fact he works as a florist :p

This is not something negative, this is not proving anything about him or me, these are 2 blokes taking podshots at each other.
That reminds me of a friend of mine, around 5'11" HUGE build (his almost as wide as he is tall and its not all fat), drives a stupidly tuned 240sx (200sx for the UK crowd), all about cars, swears by Android phones... and is a professional graphics designer.... When I found out I pretty much had jaw on the floor thing happening.