How much Americans can take TG

I stopped being angry and to learned to love the bomb.

Jay too cool. I seem to be getting really annoyed at the EU for some strange reason. ... Am I suffering from pissed-off at the EU itis?

OMG. Just chill out peoples! Top Gear and other JC DVDs are entertainment shows. Take it easy. Can't anyone here take a joke these days?

Americans and TG

Americans and TG

It's nice to see that these posts are (mostly) very temperate.

I'd have to agree that JC makes at least as many disparaging remarks about the UK nanny state and other things as he does about Americans/America. Also, if one looks at his and TG's Wikipedia entry, it's easy to see that he's begun plenty of other non-America related controversies. He's at least as anti-German as he is anti-American. I laughed MAO when he reviewed the new S-Class and 'noted' how the nav system automatically directed the car toward Poland. I thought the New Orleans special was probably over the top, given that I've lived in the UK. I know that Brits (and Euros) think they are generally so cosmopolitan, but I've seen plenty of Brits living in their own hinterlands that have never travelled off the island or in some cases, out of their own towns and can be as ignorant and intolerant as any of our citizens can be. A similar show could easily be done in the UK. Just imagine writing on the cars slurs against the Irish, the Queen, etc. and see if a similar response isn't triggered. Still, a vastly entertaining show, that (again, mostly) gets the car thing right.

Two other things. Does anyone know why Speed stopped airing Fifth Gear?

And, I see that several posters from the US in this thread have mentioned seeing every episode. I haven't been so lucky. I seem to remember several years ago finding a link that also led to a Viper007 that had many TG and FG downloads. Can these things still be found? I searched Amazon UK, and it doesn't appear as if they offer the full episodes by season; but only various compilations. I'd very much liked to catch up on the TG and FG episodes. I've seen Series 8 & 9 on BBC America and I assume they will have Series 10 at some point.

It's nice to see that these posts are (mostly) very temperate.

I'd have to agree that JC makes at least as many disparaging remarks about the UK nanny state and other things as he does about Americans/America. Also, if one looks at his and TG's Wikipedia entry, it's easy to see that he's begun plenty of other non-America related controversies. He's at least as anti-German as he is anti-American. I laughed MAO when he reviewed the new S-Class and 'noted' how the nav system automatically directed the car toward Poland. I thought the New Orleans special was probably over the top, given that I've lived in the UK. I know that Brits (and Euros) think they are generally so cosmopolitan, but I've seen plenty of Brits living in their own hinterlands that have never travelled off the island or in some cases, out of their own towns and can be as ignorant and intolerant as any of our citizens can be. A similar show could easily be done in the UK. Just imagine writing on the cars slurs against the Irish, the Queen, etc. and see if a similar response isn't triggered. Still, a vastly entertaining show, that (again, mostly) gets the car thing right.

Two other things. Does anyone know why Speed stopped airing Fifth Gear?

And, I see that several posters from the US in this thread have mentioned seeing every episode. I haven't been so lucky. I seem to remember several years ago finding a link that also led to a Viper007 that had many TG and FG downloads. Can these things still be found? I searched Amazon UK, and it doesn't appear as if they offer the full episodes by season; but only various compilations. I'd very much liked to catch up on the TG and FG episodes. I've seen Series 8 & 9 on BBC America and I assume they will have Series 10 at some point.

Nearly 2 months later...

I think that if they made fun of only the US it might get under my skin but they make fun of everything including themselves. So I don't get overly mad, thought I hate the assumption that everyone in the US is 400lbs. Other than that, great show.

Born and Lived in the US all my life.

I think that if they made fun of only the US it might get under my skin but they make fun of everything including themselves. So I don't get overly mad, thought I hate the assumption that everyone in the US is 400lbs. Other than that, great show.

Born and Lived in the US all my life.

I think when you travel to a new place you tend to remember the things that stand out. And 400 pound people stand out.

Saw LOTS of them myself this holiday season riding scooters in the stores and the only reason you can see they are on scooters is "too fat to walk".

I can't tell you another thing I saw, but I sure remember the "too fat to walk people" on scooters.

American cars are a bit of a mixed bag for me. I'm not sure I would want to own one, but I would happily drive some on a daily basis.

I don't think I could treat even the likeable ones very well though; they would just be run to the ground since they do have that sort of throwaway/disposable feel to them. This coming from a (barely) '90s Mazda driver ;)

Im an aussie, now back in OZ, had 14 years in North america. when I got there I bought myself a Z28 camaro, believing it was a good car, it was, for american, but then it squeeked, rattled, made noise etc., then I bought a lil' BMW 3 series 325 and it was FASTER than the Z28!! So yes, clarkson was right, and most of my american buddies agree. We also agree with clarkson take on the newer Z06 - an amazing car! When he has an opinion it usually is a generic one, showing faults and good sides, you can't get insulted because he didnt like a particular american car, that's believing anything that has 'your' flag attached to it must be good, that's too self centred. Always keep your eyes open, if you believe in anything your country makes must be good and no arguments will be tolerated then you end up in the dire situation that GM was in/still in/coming out of where they think because they make the product for Americans and it's American then it Must/will be loved. Then Honda etc walk away with all the sales because they know there product must be good, not hoping people will buy because of the nationality. People know quality, and they know when they dont see it. American cars are getting up there. But mostly they were junk at some stage, thanks to the heads of GM heads who cut corners, and remember the 1977 Mustang... ewww....

JD

No Boss,

I didn't realize there was a time limit....

There is. Read the "Forum Rules" Quiky posted on the top of every forum.

And why did you have to quote the whole block of text?

I guess not everyone is temperate....

Why wouldn't I? It was your post, I quoted it :dunno:

What I want to know.....what does CANADA think!?!

As far as I know, Canada loves TG. I find all the pokes at America extremely amusing, but obviously the statements that are made by Jezza et. al are stereotypical and grossly exaggerated. Canada is technically of British origin, after all... :mrgreen:

haha wtf, who are you. Bugatti's Aftershave with 1 post hahaha

American cars are making a comeback, though.