How much Americans can take TG

His anti-American comments are a bit annoying, but he is bothered by the same things I am. It's just that...it's my country. It's like saying something about my worthless brother. You might be right but...fuck off...he's my brother.

I live in US now, and obviously I love TG. So I plan to invite some of my friends (which might or might not be interested in cars) to share it. The problem is, JC made a lot of anti-US judgments in the show, and I personally is not born in US (even though I do love US as a country now). So I doubt how much can an average American take it. Opinions welcome. Thanks in advance.
Most of american humor is just making fun of other americans. the americans JC is normally making fun of are southerners, and nobody likes them anyway, so you're cool.:p

the only thing I can see being a problem is that some poeple think his comments are getting a bit tired. they're starting to become less funny and imaginative and more of the same thing, kinda like carlos mencia.

yeah we get it, you're hispanic, your brother talks funny, that's awesome. :thumbsup:

Reactions: TC
Not.this.shit.again.jpg

I love Top Gear, but the constant America bashing does get old after a while. I like the occasional stuff, but when it's over and over and over...

His anti-American comments are a bit annoying, but he is bothered by the same things I am. It's just that...it's my country. It's like saying something about my worthless brother. You might be right but...fuck off...he's my brother.

I don't live in the US, but if I did I would imagine feeling the same way.

But, Clarkson does talk a lot of shit about a lot of people. The Swiss hate cars, the Germans are long on engineering but a bit short on passion... and the Americans are fast-food eating fatasses who can't make cars? hmmm, I'm not quite so sure. :blink:

Don't forget the surrender monkeys :)

Besides all the people claiming it doesn't bother them a single bit the gazillion of "Top Gear...America/Americans...unfair/hate/bias" threads in this section speak another language.

and they mostly come from newbies who sign up just to bitch about clarkson, just like the ecomentalists, cyclists and whoever else.

Top Gear would not be as popular as it is with americans if it was really offensive to Americans, duh.

My friend who is a Lt Col in the army is big time American (and a Mississippi country boy).

He loves Top Gear. I wasn't sure about letting him see the American Special, but he insisted on seeing it.

He LOVED it. He laughed harder than I did. In all the years (8) I have known him, I have rarely seen him laugh out loud. When we watch Top Gear I watch him watching it because he enjoys it so much. The American Special is his favorite episode.

He also goes nuts at the things he considers dangerous. Hammond at the back of the Toybota when it rolled over. James swinging that ax in the Polar Special.

Now I will add, he is the only other person I know that REALLY likes Top Gear, and I was very surprised he did, but I sure am glad he does. So don't be surprised if not many people like it as much as you do.

I am a southern American and I don't want to change one thing about the show. They entertain me, and lord knows, very little else does these days. (But I am considered a bit different by my friends. Even the LtCol, but that is what he likes about me. :p )

I enjoy hearing Clarkson rant on about us because it's always so exaggerated and silly. It makes me laugh. Like I've said before I even take it as a backwards sign of respect because the U.S. is one of the only foreign countries he mentions on a regular basis. You don't hear him joking about Bolivia or Bhutan do you? :p As long as he keeps his America bashing material fresh I love it. It's when he starts recycling the same stuff over and over that it gets tedious.

The un-PC-ness is refreshing to see, and one of the main reasons (the other is to learn english) I watch british panel shows like 8 out of 10 Cats and high quality stuff like Top Gear in the first place. To Clarkson we swiss are car and racing haters, lock-you-in-prison-for-using-third-gear-in-tunnel lunatics and no-car-washing-at-sundays overgreen idiots, and anyway, we don't deserve the exquisite alpine roads we have. ;)

So wrong, but funny nontheless. Clarkson lives in 2007, but some of his bold cultural prejudices are straight from the times hundreds of years ago when britain's navy ruled the seas. :D

I think most americans can take the other culture bashing with the same nonchalance. Further so when it is packaged in this asthonishing cinematic car video and music show called Top Gear.

Greetings, lip

I love it when he bashes America. You know why? It's FUNNY. He bashes EVERYONE ELSE too. It's obvious he's biased towards UK-based car companies, and only a few of those at that. I dont think there's anything wrong with that. I see him as an equal oppurtunity offender. Besides I think it's interesting to get a European's opinion on things like the F150 Lightning, Escalade, Z06, etc.

I think it's great. I was a little offended at the America special, but then I realized, if they did a France special I'm sure they'd do the same thing. It's just entertainment, it's a little staged, it's a little biased, but in the end it's all in good fun. Any American muscle car enthusiast crew would be just as rude, biased, and hilarious if the shoe was on the other foot. I would know, I hang out with them. ;)

People just think he's singling them out, and forget all the times he makes jokes about the Germans, French, Italians, and so forth.

are you seriously that retarded?:blink:

if you hate Americans cars THAT much, goto an American car forum and do that. but you're on an automotive enthusiast/British car show fanatic site that consists of people from all around the world including Americans with American cars.

All I was doing is stating something that Clarkson has emphasized many MANY times over the years, that most of what American car companies produce is utter rubbish, fit for nothing more than fleet sales to a rental company, a taxi service or the police. With the exception of a scant few models that have been put on sale here in America by domestic car companies over the past couple of decades, the majority of them are nothing more than shopping carts with a brand badge on them.

Now, if you'll notice, Jezza reserves that kind of hate for utterly horrible cars, regardless of where there from, though he has a special place in his heart for American cars for the most part.

I, personally have gotten several of my car-enthusiast friends into Top Gear, and they all love it, the un-PCness of it, the humor, the cars, they all think it's great.

Last edited:
if i took offense at everything clarkson sais about switzerland....just take the recent NTA awards, for example. most the things he sais are true in the core, but, since it's clarkson, a bit inflated and over the top. that's what makes him such a good entertainer :)

*Waves hand* Lefty, eco-mentalist vegetarian here. Yep, I even ate lentils for tea last night. :) Speaking as another of Clarkson's favourite targets, I really don't see the problem. Yes, sometimes he over-eggs it and risks getting a bit tedious, but most of the time he's very funny, so why worry? Never, ever put anything on so high a pedestal that you can't laugh at it. It's not healthy.

Reactions: Jay
Even if it is a V6, its still pretty sad that it lost to a horse ROFLMAO :p Shows Ford cant make a V6 for the life of 'em.

I believe Clarkson make up the result: for any modern car (or even cars deigned in 50 years), no matter how poor the suspension is, as long as it is drive on road (as showed, and the road is not insanely curved), it can easily beat a horse.

Clarkson mentioned at the beginning of this season "everything you see is for real". You shouldn't take it seriously.

Seriously. I'm sorry I have to deviate from my normal nice-guy/smartass persona for a moment.

Goddammit don't we already have enough threads regarding this stupid shit? Show your friends, if they like it they like. If they don't, tell them to join the club. That simple.

Fuck....

Reactions: lip
it wasn't just the GT500. it was the Mustang GT which wasn't a GT at all on Jezza's previous DVD.

he said the GT500 had a supercharged 4.6L V8 making 475hp. then when he put the Mustang up against the horse, he claimed it was a GT when it was infact a V6.

then putting the Ram 1500 Double Cab against a damn Ariel Atom 2.

Yeah, "The Good The Bad and The Ugly" DVD is not a very accurate piece of automotive journalism, to say the least.

That dvd was made in good fun.

The GT500 bit on the Top Gear was admittedly rather irritating being so inaccurate. But the way they did the bit with Hammond's own GT390 was hilarious and the GT500 made it damn funny. I still got a laugh out of, which was the whole point, the GT500 was to set you up for Hammond's let down.