How much Americans can take TG

Question: "How much Americans can take TG"

Answer: | <- ---- -> | This much

I think my biggest problem with the GT500 dyno thing was when Hammond started writing on the side of the car. Changing the 500 to 460 or whatever. The 500 in the name doesn't stand for 500 horsepower. Seemed kind of dumb and disrespectful to deface the car like that, especially when the person doing it has no idea what they're talking about.

The Shelby Mustang GT500 is, in fact rated at 500 horsepower and 480 pound / feet torque. That's flywhel horsepower, not at the rear wheels. I am unaware of any automobile manufacturer in the United States or anywhere else that rates power output as anything other than at the flywheel.

yeah...

no one does WHP in sales figures...

although BMWs have consistently underscored their own cars' abilities in published specs...

I'm born here and live in LA, All my friends love Top Gear. Most people around LA do not care about what Jeremy says. We all thing he is just funny :p If they are car guys, it would not matter!

The Shelby Mustang GT500 is, in fact rated at 500 horsepower and 480 pound / feet torque. That's flywhel horsepower, not at the rear wheels. I am unaware of any automobile manufacturer in the United States or anywhere else that rates power output as anything other than at the flywheel.

I know, and I agree. I'm just saying the 500 in GT500 doesn't stand for horsepower.

Ford was going to release the Shelby GT500 with only 475hp, but at the last minute decided to bump it up to an even 500, probably because of the Corvette Z06.

Quite likely. :) Far as I'm concerned, if he's bought a car, he can decorate it how he likes.

American guys do not "decorate" their cars. that must be an English (or gay) thing.

I'm born here and live in LA, All my friends love Top Gear. Most people around LA do not care about what Jeremy says. We all thing he is just funny :p If they are car guys, it would not matter!

Yep. I'm from Orange, and all of my friends get a kick out of TG. We all just get a good laugh at the American jokes. If you can't laugh at yourself once in a while, you're taking things way to (quote Al Gore) "cereal...thuper-cereal".

This thread has proven one thing to me, no matter how polite, and honest the OP starts out, any thread asking a question such as the OP's will always get derailed into a shit storm.

As long as we are meeting general rules of the internet, lets add one more. AMG's cars are not as cool as Shelby's Mustangs because the AMG's are built by Nazi's, and the Mustang shares a name with a famous American plane. There I just invoked Godwin's Law.

AMGs are not built by Nazi's. They may be built by the sons and/or grandsons of Nazis, but certainly not Nazi's.

Quite probably, they are mostly built by Turkish guest workers. But I've only visted the AMG facility twice, so I could be mistaken.

American guys do not "decorate" their cars.

So explain park bench wings, body kits, stickers of various manufacturers all over cars, mirror tint, naked lady murals on car hoods, etc. that we see on a daily basis over here in the land of the free & the home of the great cost overrun. Definitely not mods, by any stretch of the means.

that must be an English (or gay) thing.

Homophobia? Broad sweeping stereotyping & generalization? No way, not from a Mustang owner. How long's your mullet?

Not.this.shit.again.jpg

I agree with Skeletor. I know TG is quite Jingoistic, but can we not play 'My Dad's bigger than your dad' for the Nth fucking time again?

American guys do not "decorate" their cars. that must be an English (or gay) thing.

James May, Elton John, Queen of England? J/k

Ok. I just registered because I wanted to get my input in on this subject. hahaha

As to why Clarkson takes jabs at Americans... Well, that's what Americans do to the rest of the world. Some of you think that Clarkson over-generalizes and stereotypes Americans but, that's exactly what Americans do to the rest of the world. Anyone who has brown skin is a terrorist. Anyone who looks latin is an illegal immigrant. All British people drink tons of tea and talk through their nose. So on and so forth. So I find what Clarkson says abt Americans extremely humorous.

(I live in the US by the way and I love Americans just as much as the rest of the world so no I'm not racist!)

Last edited:
Homophobia? Broad sweeping stereotyping & generalization? No way, not from a Mustang owner. How long's your mullet?

Homophobia? Not quite. Just paraphrasing the esteemed Mr. Clarkson. As a TG sycophant, I'm sure you believe his gay comments are not broad sweeping stereotyping and generalizations.

Gee. I don't have a mullet. Never did quite fit with my MBA, career as a money market trader and real estate developer.

I'm sorry, but anyone pushing forty who wears little beads around his neck, an 18 year old's haircut, and puts Japanese wheels on a 1968 Dodge Charger is gay.

As for James May, didn't I see him in Las Vegas doing a Liberace tribute?

In case you didn't figure things out, Top Gear's America bashing doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me are a few American apologists on this board. It seems most are in their teens or early twenties and have never set foot in Europe or England. They should try it sometime.

As I posted earlier, Top Gear's home audience appreciates the American jokes because it takes their minds off driving a few miles per year in their expensive, highly taxed 1.5 liter shitboxes while getting a speed camera ticket every ten miles.

I'm sorry, but anyone pushing forty who wears little beads around his neck, an 18 year old's haircut, and puts Japanese wheels on a 1968 Dodge Charger is gay.
There's some logic in there somewhere, folks. We've just gotta find it. ;)

I'm essentially American, although my parents are English, and I love Top Gear. Jezza's American stereotypes are usually spot-on given the area he's talking about, the problem is he thinks the entire nation is that way, when it isn't. America is one of the most diverse nations in the world.

But if you actually notice, he makes fun of all nations pretty much equally, by population. It's America's fault for having more people than any European country, more stereotype fun from Jezza. :p I can basically guarantee if France or Germany was as big as America, he would make fun of them just as much.

Jezza's American stereotypes are usually spot-on given the area he's talking about, the problem is he thinks the entire nation is that way, when it isn't. America is one of the most diverse nations in the world.
America is a massive nation, and therefore can't fail to be diverse. We have huge diversity in the space of a few hundred miles in the UK, so given the thousands of miles in the States, diversity must surely be inescapable. Do you really think a smart bloke like Jezza doesn't know that?! ;)

He's making jokes. Jokes are frequently not factually accurate.

Gee. I don't have a mullet. Never did quite fit with my MBA, career as a money market trader and real estate developer.

Oh come on, they've come with a free mullet since 1979. :mrgreen:

Dealer stiffed you on yours, eh?