How much burned oil is normal on a turbo car?

cubanseeder

My 04 STi with around 30K miles is burning (using) around 1-1/2 quarts of oil per oil change (around 3K miles). Is this normal or should I be worried? The car runs excellent like day 1, but I'm just wondering. Oh, and I use 5w-30 Mobil One Full synthetic since the first oil change.

-d

wow... 5w30 seems a tad light for Boxer engines... maybe you should try higher viscocity... 15w40 and above, Impreza's run on boxer engines and they don't need such light lubricants... but I've never heard of Impreza burning oil, did you check with your dealer?... and maybe try changing brands of lubricant to something more well-known and proven like the Motul 300V series (its a little more expensive though)

I haven't paid real close attention to it, but mine doesn't seem to use much if any.
I have about 16k on it and I'm not using synthetic.
The manual calls for 5w30 and states that synthetic should have the same spec as conventional, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Perhaps you should ask the question on nasioc.

BTW, love the avatar. :thumbsup:

ESPNSTI said:
BTW, love the avatar. :thumbsup:

Correction. You love the nipples :lol: :lol:

And I'm gonna echo the others...check with a dealer or a knowledgable service guy who knows your car...seems like that's a bit too much oil to go through on that new of a car...just a hunch.

I would go with a thicker oil if it wasn' for the cold weather up here. 5W30 is what the manual asks for.
Now that I think of it, i believe is less than 1 1/2 quarts, maybe one quart. Next time I change the oil I'll measure it for sure.

pretty sure it shouldn't be burning much if any oil... no more than a normal car should anyway... i would definitly check with the dealer... my GTX is 16 years old and it only burns about 1/4 - 1/2 quart every 3k

TF

is there white smoke comming from the exhaust?

bone said:
is there white smoke comming from the exhaust?

I think windscreenwiperfluid makes white smoke :D

You could always use thickier oil for the summer alteast, but yeah it sounds a bit weird...

Get it checked at your next visit to the dealer, doesn't seem "worrying" but it's enough to ask questions..

It's not a rotary afterall! :lol:

cubanseeder said:
I would go with a thicker oil if it wasn' for the cold weather up here. 5W30 is what the manual asks for.
If you're using Mobil 1 I'd go for 0W-40. Flows better when cold and is thicker at 200+ than 5W-30. I'd use it in my car but no one around carries it. :x So I use 0W-30. But your car definately shouldn't be using a quart every 3K, only a rotary should use oil like that.

you sure you want to ise 0w40 engine oils for normal driving?... maybe its fine in America where it is cold but when its in the summer, it heats up really quick and you reduce the lifespan of the oil if you keep it running at high temps

andyhui01 said:
you sure you want to ise 0w40 engine oils for normal driving?... maybe its fine in America where it is cold but when its in the summer, it heats up really quick and you reduce the lifespan of the oil if you keep it running at high temps
The whole point of multi-viscocity oil is so you don't have to run a different weight oil in the summer and winter. Audi runs 0W-30 in their cars all year round. A more performance minded driver might wanna go with something heavier cause the turbo can heat up oil fast. Hence, 0W-40.

what about 10W-40?

have no idea what the numbers stand for or what's the difference, but EVERYBODY i know, uses 10W-40, and no one mentioned it here

bone said:
what about 10W-40?

have no idea what the numbers stand for or what's the difference, but EVERYBODY i know, uses 10W-40, and no one mentioned it here

hahaha mate that was good for a laugh....

Its all explained here.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question164.htm

EDIT:

Hmmm when finding that link for you I also found this written just below it.

You can build this very cool gauss rifle with a few magnets and a ruler! See also How Machine Guns Work.

Leppy said:
bone said:
what about 10W-40?

hahaha mate that was good for a laugh....

Its all explained here.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question164.htm

EDIT:

Hmmm when finding that link for you I also found this written just below it.

You can build this very cool gauss rifle with a few magnets and a ruler! See also How Machine Guns Work.

Is that the reason you have that sinister face on your avatar? :unsure: