How realistic are the lap times in GT5?

Simulated racing has helped me understand a number of things in the real world. It's not useless. You won't become Schumacher, but you can still learn things.

Though, the accuracy of the simulation does have a large effect on how much you learn. I can't see myself learning the same amount from Forza as I can, say, iRacing or NetKar Pro.

Still, as I usually say, if I were offered 100 hours of training in iRacing or 1 hour of practice in real life, I'd take the real experience every time, and I think most other people would too.

I did a quickie test with a C6 Z06 at Mazda Raceway. The supposed real-life time according to fastestlaps.com is 1:40.9. I fairly easily did 1:35 and there was still a lot left in it. I didn't try switching the tires. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow (I think I had sport - hard as the defaults).

The z06 irl has runflats doesn't it?

I think so, but I don't think that would affect overall grip too much. But I don't know much about runflats.

I just did a run on the Nurburgring with the SLS. The real one did 7:40, I did 7:32. Might post a replay, it looked good on camera.

7:32 and 7:40 is less than 1% difference. Did it seem like there was still room to push it?

If you put B-spec Bob in it and keep telling him to push, he might just,

fly off the track hitting every barrier.

Other thing I forgot too was timing differences. In real life the lap is measured from the bridge to the gantry or something, and in GT5 its different isnt it?

Other thing I forgot too was timing differences. In real life the lap is measured from the bridge to the gantry or something, and in GT5 its different isnt it?

Yeah if they are going to take official lap times with a transponder then they'd have to use the timing and scoring stations, or set up their own pings on the side of the track.

The bridge to gantry times are just for the tourists who can't actually complete a whole lap end to end.

Did these tonight, all unmodifed cars
Lexus LFA SH tires 7:35.993 vs real life 7:38
McLaren SLR SH tires 7:39.274 vs real life 7:40
Viper ACR SH tires 7:16.299 vs real life 7:22
Ford GT SH tires 7:30.457 vs real life 7:40.6