How realistic are the lap times in GT5?

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
Perhaps. But a flat-out lap is still flat out.

There is not a tenth left in that lap.

Same here:

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
Webber was a whole 0.100 faster this year's pole. And I think 2004 cars were faster...

Topgearfanatic

is a Queen
Car(s)
2002 Audi A4 1.8t
2004 cars were immense down the straights, more difficult through the corners.

Cold Fussion

A small island off the coast of New Zealand
Car(s)
1988 Ford Laser Ghia
I can only manage a 3'30"xxx so far around le mans in a 908 with medium racing tyres. I'm going to buy Softs for it, but don't think I'm going to get the 3'19"xxx pole time of the 2010 le mans.

EDIT: Put the soft tyres on and I'm down to 3'21"xxx. I'd say the lap times are accurate enough for the 908.

Last edited:

Sandy106

Car(s)
Volvo S60-R, 2008 GT500
I don't feel that Clarkson's piece was honest.
I have that same feeling too, Ive been to Laguna Seca and taken a 2008 Mustang around faster than that NSX.

Also, this is kind of related to the topic, why is the Veyron listed as having ~667 HP in game?

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'17 Mazda MX-5 RF, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
I have that same feeling too, Ive been to Laguna Seca and taken a 2008 Mustang around faster than that NSX.

Also, this is kind of related to the topic, why is the Veyron listed as having ~667 HP in game?
Where do you see that? I'm pretty sure I saw one used with just under 1000 HP.

dj.TAKA

Car(s)
AE86 Trueno GT-APEX Coupe
Just did a lap in a stock GT-R for the 7:29.03 challenge. Got a 7:28.973. Pretty close.

Tho I have seen people get below 7:20.

MadCat360

Forum Addict
Car(s)
*Carless* Waaahhh
Clarkson isn't a great driver.
You don't just drive cars on race tracks for a few decades without picking some things up. Certainly he's not 15 seconds slower than a good driver. He's a better driver than he lets on and I bet he could out-drive plenty of other auto journalists.

GT VIRUS

Car(s)
Mazda 929
Shows the HP as the car is in the used lot. I believe with an oil change (maybe a engine refresh) it will get up to 1000

Kevin

Car(s)
1993 Peugeot 405 T16, 1989 MR2 AW11
You don?t. It?s just a balancing thing for the cars the AI uses.

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
How do you just lose 300+ horsepower?
The turbos need changing?

Anyway, why would Clarkson drive a slower time than he can actually achieve? Wouldn't he be refusing the chance to gloat? That's not very JC
Also he was playing with a PS2 controller, but I'm not convinced it was him playing.
But all in all I agree with the piece, the average car game player will get his car around a circuit much faster in a game than in real life, and I do believe it's from the fear factor. (And I'm talking about the average car gamer, not the car gamer who also races semi-professionaly. I'm looking at you MadCat :p)

Last edited:

codymac

You don't just drive cars on race tracks for a few decades without picking some things up. Certainly he's not 15 seconds slower than a good driver. He's a better driver than he lets on and I bet he could out-drive plenty of other auto journalists.
On issue with that logic is that it's not always Clarkson driving when they edit it to look like he's the one driving.

Even The Stig isn't a driving god. Plans Motorsport, who preps lots of race cars and also happens to be located next to Top Gear, ran a "Beat the Stig Challenge" for Lotus owners. A few track day enthusiasts and amateur racers took the challenge and bested the Power Lap times for various cars.

Here's an example - the name listed is his user name on the Exige forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8s8lftI-8g

I only knew about it because Plans helped me prep my car.
:cool:

Last edited:

MadCat360

Forum Addict
Car(s)
*Carless* Waaahhh
On issue with that logic is that it's not always Clarkson driving when they edit it to look like he's the one driving.

Even The Stig isn't a driving god. Plans Motorsport, who preps lots of race cars and also happens to be located next to Top Gear, ran a "Beat the Stig Challenge" for Lotus owners. A few track day enthusiasts and amateur racers took the challenge and bested the Power Lap times for various cars.

Here's an example - the name listed is his user name on the Exige forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8s8lftI-8g

I only knew about it because Plans helped me prep my car.
:cool:
The Stig did it in the wet.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCC7LrHu7cw[/youtube]

Also, watching your video makes my head hurt. I can hear the clutch screaming in agony.