How to gearshift perfectly

Wan60

Hello guys,as you may know I'm new here as well as to the driving world.

I've just obtained my license around April and still practicing my driving skills and techniques. I mainly drive stick though I do occasionally borrow my parents' car which has an auto gearbox.

My question is, how do you shift into gear so that the car goes smoothly. When I upshift and release, it's smooth, no problems. But the issue is when I downshift. As I release the clutch, there's a sensation as if the car is being sucked backwards. That's engine braking, right?

So, what do I have to do in order to have a smooth transition from higher gears to lower gears? Thanks

How do I know how many revs are suitable for said gear? Or should I just jab the throttle with my foot and release the clutch?

Just took a moment to read heel and toe somewhere. How do you know how much revs are enough for the gear that you're going to shift into? My instructor taught me, shift to second when the rev meter hits two, shift to third when the rev meter hits three.

So when downshifting, should I apply the same principles or is there any other way?

The best way to find out is just to know on how many rpm's the car is running in a certain gear. So let's say you're driving along in third gear at 50km/h and 2500 rpm.
So next time you downshift with heel and toe try to give the engine this many revs before releasing the clutch. This way it should be very smooth, once you get a feel of how many throttle you have to apply. At least that's how I do it and it works perfectly fine.

Rev-matching plus heel and toe? For a newbie driver driving in normal traffic? Seriously guys...

The key when downshifting is to let go of the clutch smoothly, simple as that. If you shift down while slowing down, that helps you by using the engine brake effect.
If you shift down without wanting to slow down, for example in preparation for overtaking, give the engine some revs while shifting/clutching, and again, release the clutch pedal in a smooth way.
All it takes is practice.

Rev-matching plus heel and toe? For a newbie driver driving in normal traffic? Seriously guys...

This. Sure, the earlier you practise the technique, the earlier you'll master it, so yes, if there's a quiet stretch of road then go ahead. (And yes, I realise that the advice given does actually answer the question the OP asked, but DanRoM has it spot on.)

Isn't it common sense that you never, never ever do these kind of things in traffic?

Yes, it is. But common sense and new drivers doesn't always happen together. No offence to Wan60, (or you Mitchi), but that's just the way it is. All of you have given great advice, the problem is you've all made it sound fairly easy with practice. Hence, he might feel confident pracitising it in the wrong situation. Just urging caution, not being patronising. It took me years to master it (on the track), and then a good while to feel confident to use it during daily driving.

(Edit - in fact, common sense and drivers of any age doesn't always happen, as many threads on here will testify to!)

Last edited:
Wan60, forget about heel and toe for the time being. There is no reason to try that technique until you learn to rev match. Contrary to the others, I learned it by just practicing whenever wherever I was driving. Before releasing the clutch in the lower gear that you're selecting, give the throttle a good quick stab. As MXM said, you'll get the feel for it.

Personally, I think you should always rev match on downshifts. I cringe whenever I see someone slipping the clutch.

How to shift perfectly:
1) Shift badly (crunchy shifts, abrupt changes in speed, wrong gear)
2) Realize when you shift badly and improve (smoother clutch pedal action, add a bit of gas when downshifting, don't pick the wrong gear)
3) Repeat over time

Just took a moment to read heel and toe somewhere. How do you know how much revs are enough for the gear that you're going to shift into? My instructor taught me, shift to second when the rev meter hits two, shift to third when the rev meter hits three.

So when downshifting, should I apply the same principles or is there any other way?
I don't really like these kinds of "hard rules". While they work for most cars (with typical gear ratios to power bands), they don't always work perfectly, and they require a tachometer (not all cars, not even all manuals, have them!). You also have to look at the tach.

What I tend to tell new drivers (or those new to manuals) is to get a feel for the car and learn to shift by the inputs its giving you. At first, it's something like this - if you give more throttle input and the car doesn't accelerate as expected, try a different gear. If the car isn't going and engine noises are really loud and/or high pitched, shift up (say, from 3rd to 4th). If the car isn't going and engine noises are quiet and/or lower pitched, shift down (say, from 3rd to 2nd). As you practice, you'll get used to how the car should respond to the throttle and how it should sound, and you'll get a more refined feel for when to shift.

Don't worry too much about downshifting as you slow down until you grow accustomed to "feeling" the car in this way. Once you are used to it, you can downshift when you know you'd have to to accelerate, if you want. I don't always do this on the street, though. On the street, I will downshift to the low gear while slowing shortly before I'll need it, typically, but other than that, I won't bother. Some people will tell you to downshift so that you stay in a gear that will allow you to accelerate should the cars behind you not slow. While this can help avoid a collision, it's something I only worry about when there are unobservant cars behind me. If you're not comfortable downshifting yet, don't worry about it yet.

For rev-matching: No need to worry about this until you're comfortable with shift points and want to start working in more advanced downshifting techniques.. But you've asked questions about how to bring the revs up (increase rpm) effectively. I blip the throttle (mash down on the throttle then release) and let the revs climb to near redline (or well above the revs they'll be at in the lower gear). Then, as the revs decrease, I engage the new gear. It's very difficult to have the engine revs exactly match the RPM in the new gear, and if you're imprecise, a little high and dropping causes less upset to the car than a little low (and thus needing to climb). Ways to practice this and more advanced techniques can come later, once you're ready to play with them.

Isn't it common sense that you never, never ever do these kind of things in traffic?
No, since it becomes second nature after a while. You'll find yourself doing these in cars that you rly should not.

Last edited:
What I meant is just testing it out, learning it in traffic. That's something you should never do.

Using it in traffic / while driving through a city ... hm, you can use it. I found myself sometimes using it because I'm just so used to it nowadays, but it's not really necessary. And when I find myself using it, I imediately stop using it.
Can it obstruct you in traffic? Hm, maybe, when you're not that good in it. But even if you're 100% comfortable with it, just leave it when normally driving a car.

I never used to rev match. Then in 2010 I had to drive home from the Ringmeet without a working clutch pedal. 1000 kms of that made it second nature and you quickly learn just what revs are needed for what gear at a certain speed.

How do I know how many revs are suitable for said gear? Or should I just jab the throttle with my foot and release the clutch?

Yeah. You'll get a feel for it eventually.

When I bought my Mustang, I basically did that for about two weeks. Once you drive stick long enough, and you have a rev gauge, you can match the RPM's easily. It's not going to hurt anything if you just hit the throttle for a second just to get the engine turning faster. It's not such a hard feeling when the engine has to drop a little in speed because you hit the gas too hard.

Also worth a mention that on some cars the pedal position is so bad that heel-n-toeing is practically impossible without twisting your foot into a very awkward angle. I generally don't heel-n-toe in everyday traffic, but almost always rev-match when downshifting, this is due to the E-max's bad throttle pedal positioning (the whole throttle system is cobbled together with parts from 3 cars, which causes this, need to fix it). Rev matching is also essential if you are forced to temporarily drive without a clutch.

I can't heel/toe. You don't need to be able to. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could (I need to learn) but it is not needed unless you're racing. On the street if I'm braking enough to where I would need to downshift, then I just brake with my clutch in. If I come to a stop, all good. If I need to come off the brake and accelerate again, then I shift into the correct gear after coming off the brake.

If you're downshifting without coming to a complete stop, then this is when you need to give it some gas in order to approximately rev-match, that is bring the RPM up to the amount it'd be if you had the clutch out. Just like letting the clutch out in general, it takes time but before long you just get a feel for it based on what speed you're going. You still won't be perfect though and that's where letting out the clutch extra slowly will help. You'll burn a little clutch while the engine is forced into matching the axle speed but it won't jerk you as much. The rev-matching helps lower the amount that the clutch is worn while making the engine match the axle speed.