How to photoshop iPhone icons

AshDav

I created this guide on photoshopping iPhone icons a while ago and i figured some people here might be interested in making some of their own :)

You can take a look at the iphone icons tutorial on my website
or see it here:
[VIMEO]6005145[/VIMEO]

here's the one i made in the tute

460__700x700_iphone-icon-grey-with-logo2small.jpg

Good luck :)

Last edited:
*cough* hide your massive dock *cough*

I maed a button.... face

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/ra/ramseus/2009/09/11/a_button.jpg

Hmm...for some reason, I can't seem to get the layer/stroke thing to work right. I've used it many times before, but for some reason, there's nothing visible... (CS2, PC)

I can do it ON the button color layer, but not on it's own layer for some reason...

edit: Am I really going to have to put it on that layer, then magic-wand-it, copy it to a new layer, then go back to the button color layer, and fill over it with the color? I AM, aren't I...stupid. There's got to be something obvious I'm not seeing.

edit: Nevermind. I was doing it under layer/layer style, rather than edit/stroke. I don't know what the differences is, but...it worked.

Last edited:
Is there a way to save/export this as an .ico with photoshop?

Ones I made for work:
UPSbutton-1.jpg
Schwarzbutton.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a way to save/export this as an .ico with photoshop?
Not natively, you need to find a plugin. There's probably free ones, I've never wanted to do it so I don't have any recommendations.

I did this (as I had those pictures lying around from a failed attempt at making a signature, this came out much better)
scuderia-ferrari-1670.png

Untitled-1-40.jpg

No offense meant, dude. :) I liked it. Just the first thing I saw...

None taken. Besides if that's the worst you can come up with it must be pretty descent ;)

:cry: That one is soo much better!!
I was going to ask why my one does not get that glossy look(after I done some more tweaking). One question salle....do you have a bigger resolution image of that one so I can nick it? :mrgreen: Prefebly a PSD file....
Your cause will be rewarded by rep points :p

I guess I suck at gradients....:( Need some more practise!!!!

you can get the psd file... it's the effects layers really that matters. and I made it from your avatar hence the size. lets see... here you go.
A tiny note, I use masking layers quite alot as you might notice.

Edit: damn one of my bad habbits of never naming my layers is showing now... this psd stuff is way too revealing. ;)

Last edited:
Hehe lol I dont mind :p
If you can manage without them why bother!

Edit: I think im getting a bit better but for now I will use your one!

Last edited: