No 56k: I can hear the laughter (please be kind)...

Leadfoot866

Car(s)
'12 Ford Focus hatch, '06 Nissan Sentra sedan
Only car I've owned so far...

img_2040-3222.JPG

img_2045-3221.JPG

img_2043-3219.JPG

img_2038-3220.JPG

:|

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier sedan
8V 2.2L OHV MPI I4
3-speed Automatic

...and cue the explosion of uncontrollable laughter...

Is that the same 2.2L they put on the S-10?

I,for one, don't think the cavalier is a bad car and would be quite happy to own one.

EDIT: I think I'm the only pro-cavalier person on this forum.

Last edited:
Well ... look at the bright side ... could be worse ... could be a Chrysler/Dodge Neon...
From what I hear, Neons have very good chassis and suspension geometry. Ugly as sin and they feel cheaper than a plastic lawn chair, but still...

The Neon's one redeeming factor was that it was actually fun to drive (for its class) and was successfully raced in a number of American roadrace series.

The Cavalier has no redeeming value. It was just 'some car' - meant to fill a gap in the product lineup and neglected for most of its almost-three-decade existence.

Last edited:
My Chrysler Sebring was bigger and had a smaller engine, there you go :p

Seriously? No, it was worse than the Sunny. In comparison tests with the Sunny (called the Sentra over here) and other cars, the Cavalier usually came in dead last.

The only thing going for the Cavalier is that it was cheap and GM would sell it to you even if you had bad credit.

That said, it could in fact be worse. It could be a Yugo or Marina. Original Poster - I trust you're driving this so you can save up for a good car? (I am not laughing at you - yet - because I understand the idea of 'driving a terrible car until you can afford a good one'.)

Seriously? No, it was worse than the Sunny. In comparison tests with the Sunny (called the Sentra over here) and other cars, the Cavalier usually came in dead last.

The only thing going for the Cavalier is that it was cheap and GM would sell it to you even if you had bad credit.

That said, it could in fact be worse. It could be a Yugo or Marina. Original Poster - I trust you're driving this so you can save up for a good car? (I am not laughing at you - yet - because I understand the idea of 'driving a terrible car until you can afford a good one'.)

Hey! I drove a Yugo! And I survived quite a nasty crash in it!

I trust you're driving this so you can save up for a good car? (I am not laughing at you - yet - because I understand the idea of 'driving a terrible car until you can afford a good one'.)
I am also driving a terrible (well no, its pretty sensible actually... just boring) car until I can afford a good one. (someone buy the accord so I can get a miata!!!)

:lmao: Wtf, GM still made 3-speed autos in 99???

Oh yeah, believe it.

Yeah. Unfortunately, I'm broke right now (thank you college tuition!), so I'm gonna be stuck with this car for a while.

The only reason I haven't killed myself is because I keep reminding myself that there are things worse than the Cavalier.

Once I get the money together (God knows how long that will take), I'm thinking about getting either a Ford Focus or a Honda Civic. The only requirement I have is that my next car be a manual (I'm sick of automatics).

It could be a Pontiac Sunfire. That would be way worse.

It is possible to have fun with a Cavalier. Lose the hubcaps and strip out the interior and rally the balls out of it.

On the bright side, you could sell it for around $2.5-3k, which would get you into a half decent W123/201/124/126 Mercedes, Landie (okay, maybe a bad choice) or an E30.

Until I read the fine print I was like "wtf is a Chevrolet C.Harper" :D

Our Cavaliers never looked like that!

vauxhallcavalier.jpg

Review:

Arguably the most successful fleet car of all time, Vauxhall's Mark II Cavalier is hard to ignore on the secondhand market, if only because of the number of examples still on the forecourts. To be fair, it does make a great deal of sense as a used buy. Build quality was always good, the car always performed well and servicing and parts remain easy and cheap.

Last edited:
My dad drives an '03 Cavalier (5 spd), don't ask why an Asian guy in his late 40s wanted to buy a brand new Cavalier, but honestly, after having ridden in it countless times, it's like riding around sitting on a park bench.

Everyone needs to start with a crappy car; if you didn't, would you learn how to discern value?

Just drive the damned thing until it rust away; the engine and transmission is good for half a bajillion miles. Are both archaic? You bet they are, but they also have what is called "proven technology."

I?m trying to make the guy not feel that bad about his car and what do you guys do?

Okey, okey - maybe I picked the wrong car. Let me retry that ...

Well ... look at the bright side ... could be worse ... could be a Nissan Sunny ...

Could be worse, he could have no car at all...

:lmao: Wtf, GM still made 3-speed autos in 99???

Toyota still did also with the base Corolla (and Echo, I think).

It could be a Pontiac Sunfire. That would be way worse.

Uh, the Cavalier and Sunfire are IDENTICAL, except for the body.

Don't be too hard on yourself with this car; it's the prefect car to get when you need something cheap, reliable, with decent gas mileage, and with decent performance with the biggest engine in it's class. :)