I finally own a car that isn't older than me, 2004 Subaru Impreza RS

GM_IV

Car(s)
2014 Monogram FRS
Well if you've seen my Cressida thread, that is my first car and it has served me for 8 years even though it was semi-retired before. Unfortunately pretty much shortly after its 25th birthday and nearing the 300,000 km mark it decided it didn't want to do a daily drive run anymore. My 5M-GE engine now has a cracked head, 3 out of the 6 cylinders run properly and due to the fact I have hills in my drive to work it couldn't get up them without trying going as fast as it can. So rather than spend yet more money again to get it running in great shape I decided to get another daily driver. There's nothing better I'd like than to get the Cressida running in top shape again, but I've dodged the bullet for 8 years and insurance considers my car worthless so a small hit will total it despite all the work put into it. So I decided just to let it sit in the garage until I can get the funds to return it back to the road.

Onto this car. When I was looking for another car, I had two choices go with an old worthless beater which I won't repair beyond sensible value or go newish and at least have a car with some value. Why not a Finalgear favourite the Mazda MX-5...well its simple almost all remaining NA MX-5s cost at minimum 5K while insurance pegs them at 3K tops. Why not go with a Civic or Integra...I just don't like FWD or Honda, if I was going FWD it would be a Toyota. I was pretty desperate in my search for a suitable car for my needs especially since I wanted a manual this time and few Toronto area drivers bought one. I found this Subaru Impreza RS apparently in my direct area, the guy selling it was a student and needed money. I liked this style of Impreza, it was a manual, I liked the colour and I liked how it was essentially stock.

I was a bit worried about the mileage since it was over 200,000 kms but I made sure my mechanic got a look at it to see if it looked its mileage and whether it had any signs of potential EJ25 problems. Since everything looked good apart from some really minor cosmetic scratches, after a drive I decided I liked it and bought it for a bit more than 6K. It seems the first owner chose almost every available option since I have a sunroof, fog lights and the spoiler(its cracked) except for all weather floor mats. The only thing that doesn't work is the clock, but of all the things to go wrong I could care less. Anyways some pics.

Subarufront.jpg

Subarupfc.jpg

Subaruprc.jpg

Subarurear.jpg

Subarudrc.jpg

Subarudfc.jpg

Subarufinterior.jpg

Subarurinterior.jpg

Subarudash.jpg

Subarufg.jpg

The only thing I've done to it so far is removed the stereo, putting my Premier one in it. I don't really plan for anything else on it. The stock rims are still at my mechanic's place apparently one was damaged but I'll have them put on once he gets my summer tires as right now this one is on winters.

Nice find GM_IV! Those things are an absolute blast in the winter.

Not bad at all!

Funny, You never really quite struck me as the type that liked those cars.

Funny, You never really quite struck me as the type that liked those cars.

I wouldn't buy anything in that class - but considering the Civic or Corolla alternatives? Yeah, the Impreza was a lot more fun.

Oooooh...nice! That's a very pretty car. :)

I like the blue, very nice! :D

Without impreza rims it looks like a regular sedan, but great buy, looking clean and well kept for 200,000kms :D

Your headlamps look a bit fogged up, is that condensation or are they that bad? Recommend getting it wet sanded, ends up 90% new and better at night cause they can seriously diminish the light power.

Your headlamps look a bit fogged up, is that condensation or are they that bad? Recommend getting it wet sanded, ends up 90% new and better at night cause they can seriously diminish the light power.
The driver side one is particularly bad, indeed I will have to wet sand that one.

I like the steelies :D Awesome thing! GJ
Steelies are a pretty common sight on many cars here during the winter. They mostly go away when the winter is over the cars that are left with steelies are mostly those that had all their hubcaps fall off.

New update.

Its been a few months of driving this car and the good news is my ability to drive a manual is better than ever. The other good news is this car has been a very good buy considering I bought it pretty much at market value when most go for much more. The only things that have gone bad on this car were the wiper linkages and the catalytic converter. The only other items I had to spend money on is tires and fluid changes. The only real sign of wear on this car is the 1st gear synchro which works most of the time.

The bad news, on Tuesday the car was involved in an accident. An employee from another branch backed a cargo van into it, so the quarter panel and the bumper has been damaged. Its a no fault claim with 3rd party info so I don't have to pay anything. Its just time consuming dealing with insurance, getting the car fixed and of course getting my rental.

sdmg_01.jpg

sdmg_02.jpg

Somehow I knew this would happen, which is why I deactivated the Cressida in the first place believing that car was going on borrowed time. Had this happened to my Cressida...I'd have no clue what to do since this damage would have written it off.

i've heard of several people here now that needed their car fixed, and had to get a rental.

that sucks! most places here have either a beater to give to their clients while their car is in repair, or they have a decent newish car, with the name in big ass letters on the door and rear window, so you're a walking bill board.

i think someone who doesn't supply a replacement car, wouldn't have a lot of clients...

i've heard of several people here now that needed their car fixed, and had to get a rental.

that sucks! most places here have either a beater to give to their clients while their car is in repair, or they have a decent newish car, with the name in big ass letters on the door and rear window, so you're a walking bill board.

i think someone who doesn't supply a replacement car, wouldn't have a lot of clients...

In America, courtesy cars are usually reserved for upper tier (think Acura and up) brands, although there are some places that have loaners for their mainstream offerings if your car's out of commission for a while, as I see several toyota camry's from a local dealer with huge "Courtesy Loner" graphics and "Car Number: *insert number of car in fleet here*" on them.

Courtesy cars are great for hoonage. A friend's car was in for repair once and the loaner was a (thankfully free of advertising) early 90s Mazda 626. We had a fun time doing full throttle starts at every opportunity, wearing out what was left of the clutch. :p

Unfortunately most places have cars plastered with the name of the shop, and even then they're not even new. The biggest one in this town has Mitsubishi Mirages painted bright orange with the company name all over them. Mind you, that's better than most of the other options who put you in Starlets.

Unfortunately most places have cars plastered with the name of the shop, and even then they're not even new. The biggest one in this town has Mitsubishi Mirages painted bright orange with the company name all over them. Mind you, that's better than most of the other options who put you in Starlets.

it's better than a place that forces you to rent a car on your own account! and they're great for hooning indeed, that's why most of the time they only provide beaters

The rental was covered by insurance so I'm ok, I actually got full coverage despite the 6K market value since it barely added to my premium. The only thing I was worried about was the claim doing something to my premiums but because its 3rd party no affect. I do work for Enterprise so I can easily pick out something that isn't rubbish.

Good choice, shame it's already in the shop though.

Get ready to replace the transmission though, apparently, they're very fragile.
It seems the 2002-2003 WRX had the so called glass transmissions. Considering the initial mistakes I made with I first drove it, my 5MT seems very strong. The only thing that's not so good is 1st gear for some reason grinds if put it in gear too quickly so I've now avoided grinding it now that I know what causes it. I would have loved a 6th gear but come to think of it I rarely take it on the highway long enough anyways.

Anyways the car has been back for some time I was just very busy at work and didn't get time to photograph the car. In some ways the car looks better than before since the quarter panel is new and the rear bumper is new making my front bumper look awful. Today I washed both of my cars and its the first time I've had my Cressida and my Impreza side by side. The Cressida still lives, only barely its even slower than when I last moved it 4 months ago. Anyways here's more pics.

CressidaImpreza_01.jpg

CressidaImpreza_02.jpg

CressidaImpreza_03.jpg

CressidaImpreza_04.jpg

CressidaImpreza_05.jpg

Such different cars in so many ways yet I love them both.