News: I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords

Pug

Car(s)
190E
Stanford builds robotic Audi for racing, robotic Volkswagen for parking

standford-audi-10-26-09.jpg

You can make a robotic car, and you can make a robotic car -- and it looks like Stanford is leading the charge on the no compromises approach with its new driverless Audi TTS. That, of course, is only the latest in a long line of robotic cars from the folks at Stanford, and it looks like it's also by far their most ambitious, as it's going above and beyond the usual DARPA challenges in the hope of breaking a few records and winning a few races. In fact, the car apparently already holds the "unofficial" speed record for an automous car at 130 miles per hour and, in the long term, Stanford hopes that it'll be able to complete the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, which stretches some twenty kilometers and includes no less than 156 turns. To balance all that adreneline, the Volkswagen Automotive Innovation Laboratory at Stanford has also developed a new VW Passat "valet system" that may not win any races, but can sure do some mean parallel parking.

[YOUTUBE]-CuVVZq9GfY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]YVuG7HAt-r4[/YOUTUBE]

Seems fitting.

The only thing i want a Robot to control in my life, is my sammich-maker.

Umm...that's not what is called "parallel parking;" it means parallel to the curb.

That said...I want to watch that Audi make that hill climb!!!!!!!

Now they just need to transform into giant bipedal robots and fight each other.

I just want a car that can take me home when I'm drunk. That'd be epic.

meh, while the autonomous parking is impressive, it does seem a bit jittery, like it doesn't know what to do.
Still, anyone could have parked that car much much quicker themselves, so it'll be a while until I really believe in this whole "computers do everything better" nonsense.

Until a car is actually quicker than a person driving up the famous Pikes Peak, I'll just drive myself kthxbye

Sure... but we're talking proof of concept here.
You can hardly compare the original difference engine to the PCs we take for granted every day.
Computers, as a parallel example have come a helluva long way in a very relatively short time, no?

So whats the point of a performance car that drives itself exactly? Isn't the point of a sports car to enjoy driving it yourself?

A self driving Lincoln or Maybach I can understand, but an Audi TT?

Sure... but we're talking proof of concept here.
You can hardly compare the original difference engine to the PCs we take for granted every day.
Computers, as a parallel example have come a helluva long way in a very relatively short time, no?

We had proof of concept 10 or so years ago, this is just a refinement of the concept. Therefore I see no real value in this.

It's like saying a 386 is better than a 286 computer, yes that's true, but that doesn't mean a 386 is fully autonomous at everything.

And while yes, computers have come a long way in a short time, we're still a LONG way off of anything even remotely resembling a human brain, which is kinda what you need (tactile features, reacting to surroundings, etc)

So they thought this yesterday, made it work today and they are going to take on Pikes Peak tomorrow? Man they are quick.

If this was a V10 R8.....