i fulfilled a dream at the autoshow

justin syder

Car(s)
1986 Mercedes-Benz 300E
im back from the autoshow today and i was in my dream car, the Mercedes-Benz SL. the SL500, there was no SL55 AMG but there was the SL65 AMG. it wasnt opened but amazing to touch and look at. I saw the Ford GT, Carrera GT, 612 Scaglietti, Maybach 57, 62, Bentley Continental GT, BMW Z4, 6 series etc etc etc. this year was the best in a while for NY.

just about everything was there minus a Zonda. oh yeah, SLR too.

anyway the highlight was when i was in the SL for a big reason. I asked if they could lower the top of the SL500. Sadly they said no. Last year it was down so it was nice to experience the SL with top down last year and top up this year. It doesnt end there. I came back after lunch and the top was down, UNBELIEVABLE!!! They didnt do it while i was there but i decided to ask again. I kindly asked this old guy, Benz rep or salesman, and hey said, "if you want me to I'll raise the top now". I said, "if it isnt too much to ask, sure i'd love to see it raised now." Then he said, "let me get the keys". He goes to the counter a few feet away and in the mean time there was someone in the drivers seat while i was waiting for the guy to bring the keys. The woman gets out and just in time i get in and wait a few seconds for the guy to come back. he's back with the keys, tells people to stand back and while im inside he raised the top while I was inside. I was so happy and grateful to experience that, everyone in the area stopped to look at the top and it was nice to see from the drivers seat. After staying in it for a few min the guy opened the door, meaning i had to let others get a chance to sit in. I got out and thanked him atleast three times, making sure he heard me and i was appreciative. he didnt hear me or didnt really care so i left the car fully satisfied and at the time had seen just about everything i wanted to see.

i got their early, started in the Benz section, saw everything else and ended in the Benz section having seen my dream car and gotten in the driver and passenger seats AND also having sat in the SL while the top was going up.

I still cant believe it, oh yeah i also saw the CLS, and new SLK, didnt get in but they were nice, the SLK being the more affordable hardtop conv that i also like. I got video recording of it and will try to post some pics but they arent great quality.

:D :D :D I love the SL!!

Well, if you think that's exciting what do you think about that:

I sat in the SLR at the last IAA in Frankfurt (Largest Automotive Exhibition in the World)... 8)

I was there during the press days -which of cours I didn't have a ticket for :lol: - with permission to sit in EVERY car. That was nice, with all those privileges, no crowd, free drinks, etc. :D

cya
Oli

yeah i wish i had a press pass and sitting in the more exclusive SLR is great but the SL means more to me than the SLR plus i rather take an SL, especially the SL65 AMG over the SLR.

justin syder said:
...but the SL means more to me than the SLR plus i rather take an SL, especially the SL65 AMG over the SLR.

Agreed, I don't like the SLR that much too.
E.g. the interior looks way too cheap for a car that expensive and when it comes to driving it's inferior to every other supercar...
The SL 65 is definetly very cool but I think the Brabus SV12 is even cooler. 8)

justin syder said:
yeah i wish i had a press pass...

Well, me and my buddy didn't have a press pass either... :wink:
We went there "disguised" as waiters and after we were in we put all the stuff (bow tie, apron, etc.) in a porsche bag. 8) :D

cya
Oli

sounds like a cool moment if it's really your dream car!

Took some pics?

man it fuckin was, now my next mission is to get one. my other dream car is the Zonda but i think i like the SL more. i will upload pics but like i said they wont be the greatest quality as my cam aint the best.

Well, me and my buddy didn't have a press pass either...
We went there "disguised" as waiters and after we were in we put all the stuff (bow tie, apron, etc.) in a porsche bag.

amazing man.