I got a job YAY. Now I need a roadster for 15k Which?!

Militant-Grunt

Car(s)
Audi S6 2.2T
I recently got a well paying job, from what it appears, I will be able to get a nice 5-6k downpayment by late august, and be able to finance the car. I looked at used S2000's, M roadster, the Z3, the miata ( The NB is way too girly) and im trying to figure if there is a car that I forgot to look at. Top I can go is 15k. I want a roadster, a friend of mine recently pursched a NC Mitata, handling is awesome, I like the idea of no roof, so now I want a roadster.

If I can afford one, I am most likely going to end up with a RX-7.. or something along those lines ( I can take suggestions on what you guys reccomend for a coupe too. STICK ONLY)

Thanks a lot, cant wait to hear the responses.

S2000, while I don't like them, is pretty much a no brainer. All the power and comfort, WITH Honda dependability.

If you can get an S2000 for that price, by all means, get it!

Failing that, an NA Miata is cool and very ungirly. Cheap ones will set you back about 7 grand, leaving the other 8 for a Corvette engine that you can jam inside. :twisted:

Skoshi said:
^ :lol:
A Mustang? :bangin:

Bahahaha, you've got to be kidding, NOT A ROADSTER,

S2000's with around 50-60k miles start around 15-16k I wouldnt be worried about reliability since its a vtec and a honda.. But I have been looking at M roadsters, maybe they'll come down in price in a few months.

I havn't seen a decent S2000 for less than 20, so I would say MX-5. My girl is looking at one right now, it's a 2002 in silver for $11k. I can't wait to get my hands on it, hahaha!

Kebab gud said:
i say mk3 MR2
drop a 2zz-ge in it and HELLYEAH!
i would also go with an Mr2, a Mk1(not a roadster) or Mk3. though with practicality taken into consideration, an Mx-5 is pretty obvious.

A M roadster could be very interesting (for better or worse). It has more charecter than the S2000, but I think, without knowing it, that the M could potentially be alot more expensive to own, compared to the others mentioned.

PS VTEC has nothing to do with reliability.

If you buy an S2000, MR2, or MX-5 they'll all be just as reliable as the other, just get one that doesn't already have problems.

S2000 any time :thumbsup:

Hmm, I'd be really hard pressed to pick between the M Roadster and the S2000. Wouldn't have a Z3, too soft. I think in the end the S2000 would win out. Mmm, VTEC goodness....

Militant-Grunt said:
Skoshi said:
^ :lol:
A Mustang? :bangin:

Bahahaha, you've got to be kidding, NOT A ROADSTER,

S2000's with around 50-60k miles start around 15-16k I wouldnt be worried about reliability since its a vtec and a honda.. But I have been looking at M roadsters, maybe they'll come down in price in a few months.

i wouldnt bother with the M roadster. prices wont drop low enough unless they've got a gargantuan amount of miles on them, and then you may have just bought a POS. having said that, around the NYC area you'll probably have trouble finding an S2000 that is cheap enough.

for instance, all that i found within 100 miles of NYC within your price range is a 2001 with 93,000 miles on it. (autotrader)
however, closer to where i live, i found one that is a year older, but has almost 30,000 less miles on it and is $100 cheaper.

what i'm saying is that an MX-5 maybe a more convenient choice. you'll have TONS of choices and you wont just have to settle for whats in front of you.

I would sincerely doubt you could find a single-VANOS M Roadster for under 20K, or a double for much under 30K. If you're paying less than 20K for the pre-2001's, you're gonna be paying a lot more than a good one with repairs. Go with the S2000!

klutch said:
I would sincerely doubt you could find a single-VANOS M Roadster for under 20K, or a double for much under 30K. If you're paying less than 20K for the pre-2001's, you're gonna be paying a lot more than a good one with repairs. Go with the S2000!

Yeah the double vanos is def out of the question, 315hp would be nice.. But not dooable =/.

Lets say a car in GENERAL (any type) for 15k, then what would you select. Any brand any make 15k tops.

Militant-Grunt said:
klutch said:

Yeah the double vanos is def out of the question, 315hp would be nice.. But not dooable =/.

Lets say a car in GENERAL (any type) for 15k, then what would you select. Any brand any make 15k tops.
AN MX-5 YOU FOOL! seriously think about the possibilities. the Mx-5 should stand out more than any other. you can get a decent one for HALF of what you are asking for.

AN MX-5 YOU FOOL! seriously think about the possibilities. the Mx-5 should stand out more than any other. you can get a decent one for HALF of what you are asking for.

Yes, you certainly could...I personally wouldn't be caught dead in an MX-5 though. I like to think I choose cars based on performance and the driving experience they offer, and there's no doubt that the Miata is a great car...but every time I see one on the road, the driver is one of two people: a mid-to-late 40's, slightly chubby woman, or her late-40's, balding, beer-bellied husband suffering from midlife crisis/depression/anxiety/erectile disfunction, or a combination thereof.

Now that expands your options. If you tell us what the car is intended for, we can probably help you out a bit more.
If you're looking for out-and-out performance for the dollar, the domestics are going to be your best bet. How about a 1999-up Mustang Cobra? Its the newer style so looks are pretty good; you get 320bhp, IRS, and infinite tune-ability. You can pick up the 99's for under 15K, and with 5-10K over time, the car can be turned into a daily-driven monster.

klutch said:
the driver is one of two people: a mid-to-late 40's, slightly chubby woman, or her late-40's, balding, beer-bellied husband suffering from midlife crisis/depression/anxiety/erectile disfunction, or a combination thereof.
sounds like the standard Porsche/Ferrari clientel.