I need a camera...

I've got a Canon Powershot SX100 IS and I do well with it (i paid about 270$ a year and a half ago so its probably around 170-200$ now). Its of course over two years old now and theres better slimmer verisons of it out. Now that I've looked at the G10 and G11, I want one especially with since they have a wide angle lens feature. But I'm not sure that I could justify spending 500$ on a point-n-shoot with nikon d40/d40x being had at the same price or cheaper.

Edit: Ok wow, amazon has my camera in black (what I have) for $430 and silver $390 so I guess don't buy that lol unless you wanna ebay one.

Last edited:
That's what I'm currently leaning towards, although I need it by October 10th. When the G11 come out?
Looks like the end of October, although the Canon website says September 2009. Maybe I can find a camera store that gets them in early.

But I'm not sure that I could justify spending 500$ on a point-n-shoot with nikon d40/d40x being had at the same price or cheaper.
That's a good point. A D40 kit often goes for $400 on Amazon. Spend another $200 on a 35/1.8G lens you have a great low-light setup (compared to a point-n-shoot, even a G11). The whole setup would only be $100 more than a G11, but maybe you don't want to carry that around.

That's a good point. A D40 kit often goes for $400 on Amazon. Spend another $200 on a 35/1.8G lens you have a great low-light setup (compared to a point-n-shoot, even a G11). The whole setup would only be $100 more than a G11, but maybe you don't want to carry that around.
Honestly I just want a high end point and shoot. No lenses and stuff to worry about and nothing that doesn't retract into the body. I want something I can take good pictures with, but I'm not a professional nor do I want to be.

I'm pretty sold on the G11 at this point, but I need backup options if I can't get one in time. G10 maybe?

Honestly I just want a high end point and shoot. No lenses and stuff to worry about and nothing that doesn't retract into the body. I want something I can take good pictures with, but I'm not a professional nor do I want to be.
I understand, P&S it is.

I convinced my boss to get a G10 and from what little time i've had to play with it, seems like a really nice camera. Plus it has all the manual controls as per the SLR's if you want to get fancy (and a hot shoe for proper flash units!)

more important than a hot shoe it has an optical viewfinder!

The view finder is one thing I wish mine had. And I know what you mean about not wanting to carry all the gear or even just the extra size of a dslr. Its one reason why I haven't gotten one. At the same time my point n shoot gets to be annoying to carry in pockets sometimes too since its fairly heavy. But thats kinda being picky. If I were you I would definently go for the G10 or G11, what ever you can get your hands on more easily. I'd buy one if I could sell off mine and had the money.

Oh and canon ftw simply because last summer I dropped mine in the water while kayaking and it stills works :p. Though I snatched it back out pretty quick. It wasn't more than probably 3-4 inches under before I grabbed it. There was some condensation in the light senor bulb thingy for a few days though.

Last edited:
I don't doubt that. My S3 got utterly drenched at stonehenge (omg, rain in the south west of england? never!). The next morning it seemed to have some condensation inside it (a couple watery blobs that weren't on the front of the lens) but after it dried out completely it's like that never happened. Un-weather sealed but still weather proof.

edit: or maybe it was just water in the lcd.... I forget.... still though, it got through an oceanful of rain without any lasting damage

Last edited:
I have the SX100 IS as well and the SX200 IS looks like a worthy successor. I'm saving up for the T1i though :D

Had an idea last night -- if the G11 won't be out in time, I can buy a G10, use it, and then return it for my money back or store credit after my trip. I can then buy a G11 after that. :)

Isn't it illegal to buy something with the specific intention of using and returning it?

Isn't it illegal to buy something with the specific intention of using and returning it?

If it isn?t, it should.:|

They'd still be getting my business. It's not like I'd be using the camera and then getting all my cash back -- i.e. renting for free. I wouldn't feel right about that.

I think most places have like a 1-2 week window for returns. Everything has to be in perfectly perfect condition, yada yada yada. But very likely you wouldn't be able to return it, the only people stupid enough to accept a full money back return would be somewhere like Best Buy, real photo stores with smart employees would check the exposure count and tell you to gtfo. But I dunno, some places might still accept a return but with a 15% restocking for or whatever. In any case, if you get a G10 you should just sell it on the used market after your trip, you won't take a huge loss. A minty fresh low mileage G10 should be easy enough to sell for 400ish. Come to think of it, if you're going to just sell it afterwards you might as well get a used G10 and take even less of a loss on the whole shibang.

Last edited:
They'd still be getting my business. It's not like I'd be using the camera and then getting all my cash back -- i.e. renting for free. I wouldn't feel right about that.
Since they would have to sell it as open-box, for which they take a hit, it kind of is :\

Had an idea last night -- if the G11 won't be out in time, I can buy a G10, use it, and then return it for my money back or store credit after my trip. I can then buy a G11 after that. :)

And people wonder why stores' return policies are mostly shit these days.

Fine fine. I'll call them up and see what they can do, legitimately.