I want to build a new computer around the GTX 470

Last edited:
^ Not with USB 3.0 on, as I said before...

I second the Core i5-750, and there's absolutely no need for aftermarket cooling for it.

Anyway, quickly my new pc's specs:

MB: MSI P55-CD53
CPU: Intel Core i5-750
Ram: 2x2 GB Kingston
GPU: MSI Geforce GTS250 Twin Frozr OC 1G (I went for this because all the benchmarks for it were pretty good, and it runs SILENT)
HDD: 500 GB WD Caviar
+ Misc stuff.

I'm very particular when it comes to noise. My pc runs 24/7 in my living room and I use it for work, so I need it to be quiet. I was planning to get an aftermarket cooler for the CPU, but there's NO NEED. The stock i5-750 cooler is VERY quiet at idle, almost imperceptible, and the Twin-Frozr card is very quiet too, and they get only slightly louder when gaming (playing Just Cause 2 on and off atm, nothing gets really loud, maybe 10% louder). I'm very impressed by the stock cooling on both the CPU and the GPU.

Also, you know that the case cooling matters a lot too. I got a very entry-level Cooler Master case (Gladiator 600 or something) that has a 12cm fan up front and a 14cm fan on top, both fans run silent and displace quite a bit of air, so it keeps the entire rig cool and quiet.

What I'm trying to say is, go for the i5-750, it runs dead silent, it's very easy to overclock, and you can still go i7 in the future should you need to.

My build which I just ordered,
-i5 750
-GIGABYTE GA-P55
-G Skill DDR3 1600
-Antec Three Hundred Case (which is a major upgrade over my current POS case that I regret buying)..

The rest of my componets HD,DVD Drive,PSU, and GPU will carry over from my old rig will carry over. I'll eventually upgrade the 4870 to a 5000 series card.

Last edited:
There is no 2nd PCIe16x! electrically its only 8x

If you have ONE gpu, the first one is 16x, if you have 2, both are 8x, as for all 1156 mobos right now.

The board you are thinking about is listed as having one 16x and one 4x, I assume that means, the 4 lanes from the 2nd slot are used for the USB3 and Sata6, the Pro version has another chip for that and therefore acts like all the non USB3 1156 boards.
This is different from the current Gigabyte boards (just as example...) as they cannot do USB 3 + a 2nd GPU, and the first one only runs on 8 lanes... aka 8x

Copied from the ASUS Product site about the P7P55D-E:
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16)
1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (@x4 mode, 2.5GT/s, black slot)
3 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 (2.5GT/s, gray slots)
2 x PCI

//edit: But that also means, that you will be fine with the board, as you don't plan to SLI ;-)

Last edited:
If you want aftermarket cooling for lower noise, the Corsair H50 is pretty quiet.

Yup. This is a very well-respected CPU water cooling kit. In fact it's cooling my i7 930 quite nicely, idles at around 35c loads up to 70c or so. Keep in mind I do have my CPU overclocked to 4.2Ghz. But if you are not overclocking at all then stock heatsink & fan should be no problem.

Isn't the height on that an issue?

It will certainly fit inside a normal tower case. Depending on how big the stock heatsink & fan is and where the RAM slots are in relation to the CPU socket it may become an issue. Here's a pic I dug up of my current setup showing how the ram slots are in relation to the CPU socket:

http://img220.imageshack.**/img220/5929/img1120q.jpg

Here's with the Corsair H50 installed, which is quite a compact unit:
http://img690.imageshack.**/img690/9936/img1136z.jpg

Viper007Bond said:
Don't my new mobo have 16x though?
Most likely. So no worries there.

Last edited:
whoopsie-daisy...
somehow i went over a whole page of stuff here :p forget about this post then ^^

Water cooling has always scared me. I'd hate to get a leak and ruin my carpet and computer.

Really all I care about is that when everything is idle (i.e. at night time), it doesn't sound like a plane taking off. It doesn't have to be dead silent or quiet at all when playing a game.

you should be fine with any tower cooler thingy then...
i have a scythe mugen 2 on my i5-750 and the case-fans are all turned way down... in idle the fan still only does about 300rpm so it's pretty much dead silent :)
plus: the mugen is rather cheap in comparison (half of what one would pay for a noctua and still considerably less than any prolimatech or thermalright... both of which would require you to purchase another fan, which the mugen already brings).

then again... i don't think the actual boxed cooler that comes with the i5 would be more noisy than that gtx470 you're planning to get... :|

Last edited:
While I don't have an H50 there has only been one incident with it leaking. Corsair actually replaced everything that broke.

I have $10 off promo for the i7 : EMCYRZT25

I wasn't planning on buying it until mid-May (I'm gone for the first two weeks of May), but I guess I should buy it now and save $10. Thanks. :)

EDIT: Actually, gonna continue holding off incase I manage to change my mind again. Not worth saving $10 at the risk of later deciding I wanted a different CPU. Thank you though! :D +rep

Last edited:
No problem. Honestly unless you'll be editing videos I'm not sure an i7 is worth the extra $$

No problem. Honestly unless you'll be editing videos I'm not sure an i7 is worth the extra $$

Neither was I until TechZ pointed out that stuff like physics is still handled by the CPU:

valve-particle.gif

EDIT: Also, now that I have a keyboard with a little screen, I notice that so very often both of my CPU cores are pegged at maximum. It's probably worth $100 more for 4 x 2.8GHz over 2 x 2.66GHz. It's over twice as much power for games and stuff that have multi-core support (most do).

Last edited:
<3 my i7 860. Got it for $200 at MicroCenter, if you have one near you I highly recommend it.