Ownership Verified: I was looking for a new car. Instead I got a horse...

Now the elephant in the room, we keep being told by all the Europeans that Mustangs are unrefined and Americans can't do good interiors. So as a German what is your perspective on interior quality and refinement vs similar euro stuff?

Well, as I already wrote above, I wouldn't have bought the previous generation Mustang. I have to agree that it was cheaply made and technology-wise far behind the European competition.

I chose the S550 because

a) They finally got around to give it independent rear suspension
b) The interior is actually quite nice with the premium package and
c) I simply love the way it looks (if you ask me, it's the best-looking Mustang ever)

Having said that, you always have to keep in mind that the Mustang GT costs about half of what you'd have to pay for a comparable German coup?, a BMW M4 for instance. If I remember correctly, the M4 costs around 79,000 Euros without any extras and if you add up all the options the Mustang has with the performance pack and the premium package, you'll easily pay 90,000 - for a 3-series with a 6-cylinder engine and the image of a kebab shop. I paid 44,000 for the Mustang and got 50 years of automobile history and heritage.

It's really an offer I couldn't refuse.

The hardcore BMW and Audi fans will probably still find enough things to criticize and carp about but frankly all you have to say is: "Hello? 44,000 Euros for a naturally aspirated V8 with 5 liters of displacement and 421 HP!" and they shut up very quickly :lol:

Personally I think the overall quality of the S550 is quite good. You know you won people over when all they find to criticize is that the Mustang doesn't have a hood lifter but just a "poverty stick" ;)

On the inside everything is fine. There's no noises, no rattling, no fizzing, no creaking, nothing. I had rentals from BMW and Mercedes that made more noises, not to mention the abysmal build quality of the Jaguar XJ-L. Also, I simply love the way the Mustang interior is designed. And with the premium package you have enough leather and upscale plastics to overlook the fact that some plastic is still cheaply made. Frankly I don't care about that because the interior looks brilliant in my opinion. It doesn't have the sterile and aseptic feeling of Audi or BMW interiors, it shows that it was designed with love and 50 years of automobile heritage. All the small details (I posted pics of some of them above) and the fact that Ford placed more than a hundred Pony symbols all over the car - most of them hidden in places where you won't ever find them - show the devotion and passion Ford has put into this car. It all makes it such a nice place to be in. You simply feel special and you realize you're not a part of the flock who basically drive all the same cars with only minor differences in detail.

The ride is stiff but not uncomfortable. Tire noises are quite loud, depending on the road surface but that might have to do with the Pirellis. It gets loud inside on the Autobahn above 160 km/h, which is still a comfy cruising speed. Above it, the wind noises increase and the engine is always present with its loud roar, especially when you rev it high. It's fun, though. It's not like in one of those big Audi or BMW diesels where you can still drive 250 kph with one hand at the wheel. You have to use both hands and sometimes the Mustang becomes slightly unstable at higher speeds - but never uncontrollable. It just adds a lot of thrill and raises your pulse.

I wouldn't wanna drive at high speeds with the 'stang for more than half an hour, though. It's not made for that. The highlight is to cruise leisurely and from time to time shift down and give it the beans. Produces a giggle every time and you never get the grim look on your face Audi or BMW drivers wear when they pass you by ;) You simply enjoy the drive, no matter how fast you go and letting someone pass is easy because I'm having fun at any speed.

Another nice thing is the public reactions you get with the Mustang. You'll get many thumbs up from pedestrians and other drivers and it's completely normal that the guy next to you at the petrol station or the girl at the drive-in tell you "Nice car". You won't get that in many other cars.

Does that answer your question? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
Did the folding plastic basket in the back come with it in Ford colours or did you actively seek that one out? It fits in perfectly and I suspect is very handy. :)

Actually it's from Edeka and I've had it for five years now :p

Very much answers my question thanks Mac!
I agree on interior in S197 vs S550 there was a ton of improvement :)

"German man buys S550" isn't about a Mercedes-Benz for once.

I don't know, I love the interior on my S197. Sure some softer materials here and there, but its not terrible. That and S197 came a long way from when it launched. Just look at 2005 vs 2014

BpeANrel.png

UOYiZ7ul.png

And I spent some seat time behind the wheel of an F82 M4 and I was totally unimpressed with the interior. A lot of the materials felt worse than the S550 Mustang in my opinion and the operational sound quality of various knobs and switches and visors was just awful. Granted the particular car I drove had the Competition Package so I don't know if any material quality was reduced in favor of lightweighting, but I can totally see that as being the cause of my dislike. I will reserve my judgement until I get into one with the Executive Package or maybe a loaded 440i.

I agree that the refreshed S197 interior is much better than the original but even the premium in my car is OK not great, on S550 it's great. Most of the "aluminum" stuff is just painted plastic, leather on the seats is pretty crude compared to even my Z.

Also the glare off the dash is pretty bad, and my color doesn't change all of the backlights only the dials :(

My friend's M240i is a pretty nice place to be but I wouldn't say it's better than S550's, it's just different.

Mmm, yes very good. I approve. Frankly I'm a bit surprised it took this long for another one to show up on the forums.

I'm digging the stripes with the fade effect front to back. Not so sure I care for the white taillights though, the red lenses just look better to me.

Also, for what it's worth, Thomas did mention to me when he was over here last October that you had ordered one, so he may not have kept that secret quite as well as you thought :lol: Of course, I didn't say anything to anyone.

This gen really is quite nice. Yeah it has a few small things that could be improved but given the price it's hard to ding it for those. I completely agree that it's just fun to drive and makes you happy. That's what a car should be, I think.

I am pretty sure I just mentioned that "a German" ordered one.. if I name dropped, I don't remember .. must be getting old .. or did you put something in those buffalo burgers?! :D

Currently I'm quite fed up with what's happening in the German car industry, so I decided to do my part in balancing the trans-Atlantic trade deficit and buy American.

Congrats, I think it's a great option/alternative and looks badass.

But I wanted you to elaborate on what got you fed up with ze glorius German motorwerken

But I wanted you to elaborate on what got you fed up with ze glorius German motorwerken

It's hard to put into words, really.

Let's just say that at the moment I wouldn't be able to order a German car with a clear conscience. Too much lying and deceiving going on, too little sense of guilt, too much arrogance and too little effort to make it up on the customers. I'm sure you've been following the news, so I don't think I really need to elaborate on the backgrounds.

I didn't quite feel that way when I placed the order in October. I did it because I simply wanted this car and to hell with reason ;) But the longer it took until it was delivered and the more got out in the media about dieselgate and the cartel scandal, the more I felt that I did the right thing. The Mustang is an honest car with honest data.

For example: Ford says it consumes 13.5 liters/100 km and that is what it does. You can get it down to 10 or 11 but when you drive it like you should, 13.5 is realistic. It's an honest declaration.

If it was a Mercedes, a BMW or an Audi (or basically any other European carmaker) with a similar engine, it would still use the same amount of fuel but in the data sheet they would lie and claim it's consuming 9 liters.

Things like that are pissing me off.

Last edited:
It's hard to put into words, really.

Let's just say that at the moment I wouldn't be able to order a German car with a clear conscience. Too much lying and deceiving going on, too little sense of guilt, too much arrogance and too little effort to make it up on the customers. I'm sure you've been following the news, so I don't think I really need to elaborate on the backgrounds.

I didn't quite feel that way when I placed the order in October. I did it because I simply wanted this car and to hell with reason ;) But the longer it took until it was delivered and the more got out in the media about dieselgate and the cartel scandal, the more I felt that I did the right thing. The Mustang is an honest car with honest data.

For example: Ford says it consumes 13.5 liters/100 km and that is what it does. You can get it down to 10 or 11 but when you drive it like you should, 13.5 is realistic. It's an honest declaration.

If it was a Mercedes, a BMW or an Audi (or basically any other European carmaker) with a similar engine, it would still use the same amount of fuel but in the data sheet they would lie and claim it's consuming 9 liters.

Things like that are pissing me off.

I had no idea the entire auto industry there was such a mess. I just assumed it was just VAG. Also, you're getting ~20mpg (UK) / !17mpg (US)? That's pretty good. I'm averaging 17.5-18.5 with 60/40 (motorway/city) mixed driving in the R/T. Good to see the fuel economy pretty decent with those S550's. :D

More people should do that.
I'm sure we would have less bland, boring cars on the road.