I would have dinner with...

ashspet

Nothing to see here, move along people!
DONOR
If you could have a date with anyone in the entire world, living or dead, who would it be? Why? What would you do on the date?

(note, this is a date, no sex or nudity involved, but the date could be up to 12 hours long, doing whatever you want as money is no object)

Reactions: MWF
Great thread idea!

I'd love to have a few pints and a good curry with James May. I reckon contrary to his portrayed image he'd be really good company and really interesting.

Douglas Adams for a lunch that turned a bit boozy before pouring oneself into a cab home at about 6pm, just to get an insight into the mind that gave us the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Dinner somewhere really classy with Dame Judi Dench. To my mind the finest screen actress who has ever lived and by reputation she has a wicked sense of humour.

And perhaps a day out hiking in the Highlands or salmon fishing in a Scottish river with Billy Connolly. He'd be sure to have plenty of local knowledge and loves the outdoors plus he's teetotal these days, although a good pub meal to round off the day by a roaring fire would finish things off nicely.

Great thread idea!

I'd love to have a few pints and a good curry with James May. I reckon contrary to his portrayed image he'd be really good company and really interesting.

Douglas Adams for a lunch that turned a bit boozy before pouring oneself into a cab home at about 6pm, just to get an insight into the mind that gave us the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

gotta steal those two. and qft on the first :p

also add sir terry pratchett for me. just to meet him for a cup (or two, or three, or the number between 7 and 9) of tea, that'd be enough all really :)

Last edited:
Scott Quinnell, at teatime. I could listen to him all day. In fact I get quite giddy when the Postcode Lottery ad comes on then I end up rolling about pissing meself laughing. He's so Welsh. :|

Laurell K. Hamilton, at dinner. 'Cause I could talk to her about guns an' being short. :lol:

Austin Healey, down't pub. The bitchiest ex-rugby player on this planet. The banter would be awesome an' the night would probably end up with the nicking of car tyres.

Danny Care, in feckin' Nandos. The epitome of "my type." I could oggle him, eat chicken, get pissed, convince him he needs a good woman then hump his leg.

AnnaSophia Robb 'cause she's gorgeous...

Emma Watson, same reason...

Mara Wilson, have you seen her lately? Even if she does sound a bit full of herself...

Karen Gillan on a dinner date. well duh, why not?

Stephen Fry, Brian Cox and James May round a dinner table. Most awesome conversation ever.

Some FG'ers as well. You know who you are.

James May in the pub : most intresting conversation ever.....probably resolving the worlds issues before the 3de pint.

Jeremy Clarkson in the pub : 2 loud arrogant oafs shouting at eachother, probably get kicked out.

Ash, some quite country lanes and a rented Holden Maloo.....I think that speaks for itself.

BlaRo

:wub:

d'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :blush: who knows, might just happen one day :)

So, other than Red Bull:

Kevin Spacey - in New York, would love to have a picnic in Central Park and then wander through the theatres with him hearing stories (and yes, some of the dirt) on each production he's worked in etc. I reckon there would be some tales to tell.

Double date with Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling that edit the Year's Best Fantasy and Horror anthologies. I want to learn what they look for, what makes a good story and all the tips, tricks and pitfalls to avoid. This would probably start as a breakfast and end up as a dinner. The chairs had better be comfy. Jaid Black for similar reasons, but as a writer and seller of erotic fiction, she has set up a very successful e-book (and paperback) empire. These I think would be a buffet in a lecture theatre with a few others also wanting to learn (think educational dinner party) with lots of whiteboards / blackboards around to write on, make notes etc. Being surrounded by words on walls at the end of the evening would be ever so right.

Neal Stephenson and William Gibson. Yes, I do like double dates. Neal wrote Snow Crash (among others) and William Gibson. Their view of cultural evolution and future thinking would be a hell of a discussion. I would love to be in a lovely old restaurant, 5 star opulence in a really old building, perhaps even in the middle of the Parthenon. The clash of the ancient and the future / the opulent and the disposable would be mind bendy.

I would go punting on the river with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie. Lying back with sandwiches, ice creams and lemonade and again, listening to tales on a lazy summer afternoon would be just brilliant.

And for time warpedness, 21 year old Henry Rollins with 50 year old Henry Rollins. Wandering through Washington, seeing the sights, and sitting on the steps near the Lincoln Memorial as 50yo Henry smacks 21yo Henry around the head would be hilarious. Dinner would, of course, be energy bars and water.

Ash, some quite country lanes and a rented Holden Maloo.....I think that speaks for itself.
:blush: and :dance: they wouldn't be quiet for long :lol:

Last edited:
Talk:

James May
Lieutenant47
maybe Henry Rollins ?

Listen + stare at tits:

bunch of ladies, a lot actually...

Stephen Fry, Brian Cox and James May round a dinner table. Most awesome conversation ever.
Yes this! Any of, or all of, the above. That would be fantastic. :D

93Flareside said:
AnnaSophia Robb 'cause she's gorgeous...

Emma Watson, same reason...

Mara Wilson, have you seen her lately? Even if she does sound a bit full of herself...

I get the distinct feeling you chose those people purely to stare at them... If we are playing that game I'm having Zooey Deschanel. :p

But what would you be doing on the date? Sitting across from someone, staring at them for 3 hours doesn't seem all that interesting to me. Let alone rather uncomfortable.

So fine, take the lady of your dreams on a date, but describe the perfect date activities as well.

Lunch : Henry Kissinger

Afternoon tea & cakes : Simon Cowell, Ann Robinson & Ann Widecombe, just so I could punch them each in the face personally.

Early evening drinks: James May, Prof. Brian Cox, Armando Iannucci, et all

Dinner: Marilyn Munroe & Prof. Germain Greer.

Stephen Fry, James May, and Neil DeGrasse Tyson for stimulating, thought-provoking conversation.

A writers round table with Neil Gaiman, Sir Terry Pratchett (I met him a few times and offered to treat him to a banana daiquiri - he was too busy, unfortunately.), Joe Straczynski and perhaps Warren Ellis.

Guys night out with Kevin Smith and Simon Pegg - we could talk movies, comic books, sci-fi, etc.

Going into the realm of impossible here - Sarah Vowell, myself and presidents Abraham Lincoln and Harry Truman. Plain spoken men who served as President during some trying times and made very difficult decisions.

Intimate dinner date with Sarah Silverman at the Red Arrow. (Maybe not the most intimate setting, but they have good food and it's a place we both know well.)

And my FG friends - I think you know who you are.

Bill Oddie, because it's better than driving a Vauxhall Vectra. Plus I'm a genuine fan.

James May is a given, in the pub though like others have said.

I agree with Jedd on Karen Gillan too.

I dunno who else really, I'd be worried that whoever it is would be act like a cock in this situation. Never meet your heroes and all that...

I'm the same way, Matt - which is why most of my choices are people that I've met or had some form of interaction with: whether it be in person or online via Twitter or Facebook. (With the exception of Presidents Lincoln and Truman, of course.)

But what would you be doing on the date? Sitting across from someone, staring at them for 3 hours doesn't seem all that interesting to me. Let alone rather uncomfortable.

So fine, take the lady of your dreams on a date, but describe the perfect date activities as well.
I'm sure a nice dinner and light conversation about patterned cardigans and hipster glasses would be fine. At some point I would have to mention my mad piano skillz and we'd retreat back to my place for some hot music composing action. :p

Because money is no option I've cunningly bought a house with a recording studio, got it all planned out. :cool: