IAA Frankfurt a. M., September 17-27

gt1750

Techno Addict
Car(s)
'91 Saab 900 Turbo Cabrio, '18 Ford Smacks
One of the biggest and most important autoshows in the world starts soon.

Official homepage with infos & stuff: http://www.iaa.de/en/

Any forum members planning a visit? We could set a specific date and go together - I think it's more enjoyable to look at and discuss new cars together in a group of enthusiasts than doing that all alone in silence...

There's going to be a lot of interesting new cars to be seen, namely Alfa Romeo Giulia, Fiat 124 Spider, Mercedes C-Klasse Coupe and (likely) S-Klasse Cabrio.

Oh and my wife and daughter are going too, the little one probably can't wait to sit in as many different cars as possible (this year's Ringmeet attendees will know :D)

God that brings back memories. I was there...... 20 fucking years ago!

Best part was the eco-mentalist band playing on the back of a truck by the entrance while their Green buddies handed out flyers. I just waited until they finished a number then yelled out in German at the top of my voice "Do you know any Zeppelin?" Cue much Teutonic chortling and a whole herd of pissed off hippies. :D

The last time I attended IAA (12 years ago) I needed about half a day to get through everything interesting. After that, it dawned on me that it isn't worth the money and the being uncomfortable due to the crowds...

And seriously, gt1750: I recommend strongly not to take a child as young as yours there. Much, much too crowded.

Last edited:
I hear what you are saying Dan but Magdalena will be in her buggy much of the time. Kids of that age are amazingly resilient and I reckon one as happy and as confident as she won't have any major issues. Sure it will be busy but as long as you avoid Saturday or Sunday it shouldn't be too bad.

The last time I attended IAA (12 years ago) I needed about half a day to get through everything interesting. After that, it dawned on me that it isn't worth the money and the being uncomfortable due to the crowds...

And seriously, gt1750: I recommend strongly not to take a child as young as yours there. Much, much too crowded.

Yeah, I understand that. I was in Geneva this year and although it was crowded and the air was a bit on the bad side, it was manageable and there were people with little kids (under two years) who seemed to be doing OK. Never been to IAA but AFAIK it's in multiple halls connected with walkways as opposed to Geneva which is basically one big hall that you almost never leave. That should allow for a fresh breath and a little rest from the crowds. Kinda like the Brno motorshow (R.I.P.)

And yeah, I'd prefer to go there on a workday.

I got press tickets through a friend for a few years and now I'm too spoiled to ever visit on a normal visitor day again. :(

I hear what you are saying Dan but Magdalena will be in her buggy much of the time. Kids of that age are amazingly resilient and I reckon one as happy and as confident as she won't have any major issues.
She may be happy, but pushing a buggy through the crowds will make the parents and everyone around them unhappy...