Iconic Engines

Tadek Marek's I6's and V8

Dammit! I'd just remembered that one!

Following on from that the RR Olympus engines that give the Vulcan its signature howl!

if you start like that...

images

got you on the moon!

Well in a way this is what brought us all here.....

9646666adface161ad1b4939a313c0cf-orig

:D

Tha Audi 5 cylinder turbo in their group B rally car.

A modern marvel: Fiat's 0.8L twin air

Honda's tiny rev hungry 4 cylinders from the S600-800.

Rolls Royce 6 3/4 V8

The 2.3 and 2.5 -16 engines from Mercedes.

Tha Audi 5 cylinder turbo in their group B rally car.

Which later inspired the white block - Audi worked on it. I don't know if Fiat's five cylinder was related too.

I would say the Ferrari Colombo V12 is pretty iconic - especially in 3 litre form.

The Kent was in so much more than just that as well. Debuted at 997cc in 105E Anglia, also a 1300 Crossflow in the Capri, a 1500 Crossflow in the Corsair, and the Classic for a short time. Powered all Mk1/2 Cortinas*, as well as some Mk3s, as well as the Fiesta. Eventually the block found its way into the 21st century as the Endura (fitting name) being fitted to the Ford Ka and Mk4/5/6 Fiestas.

*Except the rare Savage V6 conversion.

And the Kent engine made its way across the Atlantic to serve as the standard engine in the Ford Pinto and Capri - although the 1.6L in the Capri was replaced by the 2L in '71.

Last edited:
Honda D engine, reliable workhorse for a good two decades. All aluminium engine, almost all of them 16-valve sohc. Mostly sohc, some dohc. 1.2 litres to 1.7. There were smalll updates through out it's lifespan(1984-2005 as I recall).

Last edited:
Which later inspired the white block - Audi worked on it. I don't know if Fiat's five cylinder was related too.

The 20 valve Audi cylinder head fits right onto the Volvo block, they are that similar.

Wankel rotary is an engine type, the Mazda 13b would probably be the most iconic. The Renesis was still derived from it, my engine has a 13b badge if you look hard enough :lol:

Shit I didn't know this thread was still going. I have too many to choose from now, thanks everyone. :thumbup:

A bit late to the big engines party, but still:

12L V8 Diesel truck engine :cool:

I would say the Ferrari Colombo V12 is pretty iconic - especially in 3 litre form.

And the Kent engine made its way across the Atlantic to serve as the standard engine in the Ford Pinto and Capri - although the 1.6L in the Capri was replaced by the 2L in '71.

The Kent 1600 is also the spec engine in Formula Ford racing.

Mazderp's 4-rotors. Any of them. WANK.

Has anyone mentioned the Viper's V10 yet? If not, it needs to be mentioned.

The 993's aircooled Porsche boxer, too. The last evolution of Porsche's aircooled engines.

4G63T, too. Duh.

Last edited:
Mazderp's 4-rotors. Any of them. WANK.

Definitely wank(el)-able, but I don't know about "iconic". They didn't use them in road cars, I believe.

Has anyone mentioned the Viper's V10 yet? If not, it needs to be mentioned.

Nobody had mentioned it. I don't think it really qualifies as "iconic", though. The Viper as a whole is iconic, but inside of that package, the engine tends to take second fiddle.

The 993's aircooled Porsche boxer, too. The last evolution of Porsche's aircooled engines.

The whole line of Porsche boxer sixes is iconic. The one in the 993s was just the final evolution. If the boxer six could be a dinosaur, the 993 version was T-Rex.

4G63T, too. Duh.

Mentioned earlier, and definitely iconic.