Idea for a segment - American roads

Please keep in mind that Top Gear is a car show made by the BRITISH BROADCASTING COMPANY for BRITISH AUDIENCES. The average brit could very well take their 1 litre diesel failback and drive to the roads they featured in this episode of Top Gear, they could not do that so easily on another continent.
The point is that they pitched it as "the best driving road in the WORLD" not the "best driving road in Western Europe". Also, if I had a dime for all of the British people complaining about inaccuracies in American-made movies... Alternately, if I had a dime for all of the British complaining I've heard about Americans' love of labeling the best of whatever in America as "the best in the WORLD!"... The knife cuts both ways in this day of globalized broadcasting.

Having said that, your point is definitely dead on. Who really cares? It's just a TV show and a damned entertaining one at that. The people here complaining about the fact that they ignored America should take it easy. It's not like we here in the States have a monopoly on great roads either. I've personally driven on fantastic roads in Japan and some truly amazing stuff in South Korea and I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Now, having said that...
If you don't like Top Gear, stop watching, don't post on these forums, and go about your business. Nobody gives a shit what you think, especially if all you are going to do is bitch about such an awesome show. FUCK OFF.
Jesus. Calm down. People can post whatever the hell they want to post, don't take it so personally.

It's actually because the only cars you are allowed to drive there have leaf springs and are automatic, everyone is extremely fat and will murder you, and every road looks like this.
20031004131632.jpg

;)

That looks like a shot of a road in Nevada where I was able to get my derestricted SL55 to a shade over 200mph.

Its true that there are alot of overweight Americans, but based on my last visit to the UK, you guys are trying your hardest to catch up!

Now, having said that...
Jesus. Calm down. People can post whatever the hell they want to post, don't take it so personally.

The sad truth of it is, some of the forum members (ie complainers) are so thick here that it takes a little harsh language to get the message/point thru their skulls. If they just grew up and developed a little sense of perspective, such words need not be used.

Oh don't worry, I am. But on topic, the Tail of The Dragon road is a no-go, it's a great, beautiful road, but if you travel anywhere over 25mph (speed limit is 30), you'll get pulled over for 'excessive speeding'. The Tennessee highway Patrol say that the 30mph speed limit only applies to 'straight areas', which there are none, or atleast by their definition there aren't. Great road, but unless you want to take your time getting to the other side, don't travel on it.

I'd heard about these laws. I'm sorry to see what was a great driving road so squashed by overzealous ticket cops. As long as people are smart about it, right? I've driven the Dragon, years ago, and it was utterly amazing. Too few roads like it.

Thought I would register to post my comments (Huge top gear fan)

Why is it that every country in the world seems to be able to take jokes aimed at them except America?

To the guy that was crapping on about how he has a loaded assault riffle in the boot of his car, perhaps you could explain to us what you are so insecure about that you feel you need to make us all think your tough because you have a gun.

Yes, most American's are fantastic people, and yes the USA has contributed alot of great things to the world. And yes, it is arguably one of the greatest country's in the world. But I think some of you let that get to your head a bit. When Jeremy called Australia a 3rd world country, did we all throw up our arms and have a whinge? No. Did the Dutch invade the UK after he said they all take drugs? No. Has a french citizen firebombed jeremy's home for calling them all cowards? No.
So why get so worked up about a jab at your roadways?

Note that this is only directed at a few people in here, most of you that do reside in America have shown that its really only a very small minority that are making the rest of you look bad.

In regards to the US roads shown, some do look very good and fun to drive on. To be perfectly honest, none of those grab me as 'best in the world' material. To me the Alps that TG went to had better views. We all have different views however, and hey, thats what makes us human.

The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina would be a nice road to visit...

http://img156.imageshack.**/img156/7415/d0610area43zy5.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.**/img300/8833/blue20ridge20parkway707ew0.jpg

I don't know how you think I took anything personal, it's not my show after all. it just gets really irritating to see threads/posts every week about how offensive/biased/lame JC and his crew are, if you don't like it, stop watching and stop bitching, that simple. quit making posts or threads about why you don't like them and watch 5th gear or something.

http://img300.imageshack.**/img300/8833/blue20ridge20parkway707ew0.jpg

That looks real nice! I've always been on the lookout for a nice tunnel to drive through so I can hear my car or bike. There doesn't seem to be any around me that I can find. Also, since Fall is upon us I need to get out and snap some pics with the foliage. Thanks for sharing the pics :cheers:

I've been to the Dragon 5 times in the last 4 years. The most recent time (this past August) was horrible. THP has virtually shut down the road. Our group saw 11 THP, and 2 County cops on the Saturday we were there. Couldn't go a lick over 30. We decided to hit the Cherohala Skyway instead. It's really sad that this crackdown has taken place. It's killing local businesses that make their money off tourism.

It's actually because the only cars you are allowed to drive there have leaf springs and are automatic, everyone is extremely fat and will murder you, and every road looks like this.
20031004131632.jpg

;)

What the hell man? First off everyone here is not fat. is is a stereotype. I can say that everyone in england is boring and has bad teeth but thats not true is it?. secondly, every car here is not on leaf springs. the only cars here that are on leaf spring are trucks and suv's because they are ment to haul and tow stuff not to handle. Every one here will not kill you. You think that because on top gear the only show you the hood of mami with crazy people that are running around with guns and drugs. the only other places like that are LA, Detroit, Atlanta, The Bronx in N.Y. and Chicago. also not every road here is straight and flat, u got a picture of the desert which only has flat roads, the only other roads like that are in the mid west where it is all farmland. so basically the only flat roads are in the middle of the country.
On the east and west coast their are bendy and windy road just linke the alps here are some pics:

google_norcal.jpg

http://images.forbes.com/media/lifestyle/2006/08/31/0831feat1_162.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://www.fahad.com/pics/hafeet_mountain.jpg

coverphoto.jpg

Img_1617-Hwy1.jpg

Most non americans forget the how large the US is and that while about 60% of the country is completely flat/boring/straight, the other 40% with hills, mounatins, river valleys and their accompanying twisty roads are superb and pretty numerous....its just these roads are far away from most major urban centers. And you dont really want roads like that around the urban centers anyway, that would be stupid city planning and a nightmare to traverse.

Most non americans forget the how large the US is

^- Quoted for truth! -^

One of our states is the size of all of western europe! (go on, guess!)

Really, do you want to drive on a twisty interesting road for 2500+ miles? (like 4000+ KM)

Sure its cool for the first 20 hours, but how tired would you be? Those boring straight roads are not for fun, but for getting across this ridiculously large (thats why you have one time zone, and we have four) landmass.

Want a twisty road? Find a public track day, i want my roads to be useful thanks.

Most non americans forget the how large the US is and that while about 60% of the country is completely flat/boring/straight, the other 40% with hills, mounatins, river valleys and their accompanying twisty roads are superb and pretty numerous....its just these roads are far away from most major urban centers. And you dont really want roads like that around the urban centers anyway, that would be stupid city planning and a nightmare to traverse.
I can't speak for every metropolitan area, but there are great roads near NYC/Stamford/New Haven. Like, within a half hour's drive. You just need to know where to look.

I am completely taken aback. I had absolutely no idea such spectacular roads existed here in North America. I have to make it a point to visit quite a few of the locations presented in this thread. That's fantastic!

yeah totally, us Australians have absolutely no idea how large the US is :rolleyes:

:p

The amount of times I've heard people say that Australia is just a desert or it's like what steve irwin (jackass) showed.

yeah totally, us Australians have absolutely no idea how large the US is :rolleyes:

excuse me, but i fail to recall saying that australians are geographically deficient, a little oversensitive maybe?