Idiots + cars = LOL

As part of the chassis lubrication system my truck requires oil to be added between changes. Not having a dip stick and be reliant on the elections could easily be disastrous.

My skim reading skills have deteriorated horribly. :(

It's the same sort of "clean" language as tidbit vs titbit. I say shun such language, embreace the prophane!

I've struggled (and mostly given up...I check my own car my way) to explain to my Dad that, no, dipsticks don't become less accurate with age. The convo wen't a bit like this:

Me: I'm going to add oil to my car
Him: Ok
*watches because he's coming along with me somewhere*
Him: you know, you should probably add more
Me: The level is within at the top of the range, it's fine
Him: You should really add more oil, the cars old, that reading could be inaccurate
Me: Ok fine *pretends to add more oil while he gets in the car, while thinking:*
1148_1253230725640.jpg

One can guess where I didn't get my limited knowledge of car mechanicals from. :lol:

The weird thing is, if the reading is inaccurate it might actually already be overfilled. Adding more in that case could be catastrophic.

He's probably thinking of car instrumentation, such as oil pressure gauges, fuel gauges, etc. Those, I believe, can become less accurate over time, but not enough to really make a difference unless it fails entirely.

Explain to him that a metal stick tends to not degrade quickly.

He's probably thinking of car instrumentation, such as oil pressure gauges, fuel gauges, etc. Those, I believe, can become less accurate over time, but not enough to really make a difference unless it fails entirely.

:nod: however, when dealing with inaccurate readings, your best course of action is to aim for the middle and regularly re-check. Without knowing the direction of the inaccuracy or its jitter you risk under- or overfilling otherwise.

Explain to him that a metal stick tends to not degrade quickly.

If it rusted away at the bottom I suggest an oil change.

:nod: however, when dealing with inaccurate readings, your best course of action is to aim for the middle and regularly re-check. Without knowing the direction of the inaccuracy or its jitter you risk under- or overfilling otherwise.

If it rusted away at the bottom I suggest an oil change.

If it is rusting away he has bigger problems.

Having bits of rust flowing through the engine won't be cured by an oil change (and no the filter won't pick up everything).