Idiots + cars = LOL

It's really not fine - you should've realized that your exit is coming up. Otherwise, sit there with the turn signal on and wait for someone to actually let you in, instead of just cutting someone off.

On unfamiliar rods signage is not always great and even GPS doesn't always help, there are a few interchanges like that around NY/NJ area. But I'm not saying just straight up merge into another car but you can try to get into a smallish gap.

So you go to the next exit and work your way back.

Still better than causing an accident.

What if the next exit is 10 miles away? (Really happens in say PA)

One (slightly illegal) option if you have a truck or offroader - the Texas Exit. This is how we traditionally inform TxDOT that they either needed to put an exit there or they needed to expand a nearby exit.

Even the cops do it when not on an emergency call.

[video]https://gfycat.com/OffensiveRepentantFly[/video]

Last edited:
Spectre, that behavior drives me up the wall. :( These idiots need to use the legal roadway system just like everyone else. They are too entitled by thinking they cannot simply go to the next exit and turn around--no matter how far it is. I love it when these people get stuck or have flat tires because of this behavior. LOL

If you signal, slow down, and wait for a gap, I'll usually let you in. If you just start moving over expecting me to lose the game of chicken, you're a dick.

Exactly. It's well possible someone lost the exit and tries to compensate for the error, and then ends up trying to enter a line of cars; if done properly and politely, other drivers should let him in . If done aggressively, other drivers should let him out.

The problem was not the white SUV entering the line, the problem was -how-.

One (slightly illegal) option if you have a truck or offroader - the Texas Exit. This is how we traditionally inform TxDOT that they either needed to put an exit there or they needed to expand a nearby exit.

Somehow, I expect to see some Russian guy from "Stop a Douchebag" putting a huge round sticker on the windscreen of that pick-up truck.

Our highways tend to have trees in the way of doing that.

I would pay good money to see that.....might become a snuff movie real fast.

Our highways tend to have trees in the way of doing that.

That's part of why it's called the "Texas Exit" and not the "Pennsylvania Exit." :p Though to be fair, such an illegal exit is performed from the highway onto a service or frontage road, not from the highway right of way to random surface streets... usually. Modern Federal highway code says that for safety reasons you should try to avoid having trees in the median between the highway and its service road. Here's a classic case - I-35E north of Valley View Lane in the Dallas suburb of Farmer's Branch. Note the distinctive heavily used single "Texas Exit" on the upper side of the picture and the multiple lesser used ones on the bottom. (Click for full resolution.)

Again, it's illegal, but... lots of people do it.

On the other hand, since that highway is now being rebuilt, they've decided to greatly expand the exits in the area... The line about "this is how we tell TxDOT where to install or expand offramps" isn't completely a joke.

Somehow, I expect to see some Russian guy from "Stop a Douchebag" putting a huge round sticker on the windscreen of that pick-up truck.

This attempt would shortly be followed by said Russian guy 'accidentally' getting run over by said truck. Probably look not unlike this:

No, he's not dead. Or as it turns out, even seriously injured.
The guy who was introduced to the truck the hard way was a career criminal who had robbed a store and then led police on a chase around Houston. The sheriff's deputy in the truck had actually not intended to run him over but between the mud and the not-great GM ABS system in the truck, it happened - this was confirmed by the on-board recording systems that showed he'd actually been on the brakes well before the contact was made. The guy who got hit was not seriously injured and went to jail for 11 months for the robbery. Unfortunately, we would all have been better served if the truck *had* killed the asshole because one month after he got out of jail, he and his girlfriend shot and killed two people in the course of yet another robbery.

Last edited:
Still better than causing an accident.

See below

- - - Updated - - -

If you signal, slow down, and wait for a gap, I'll usually let you in. If you just start moving over expecting me to lose the game of chicken, you're a dick.

First part is exactly what I meant.

- - - Updated - - -

Not always feasible, for example all NYC highways are fenced (or elevated)
Also I have always wanted to do that :D

Last edited:
Idiots + cars = LOL

You've not driven in Chicago, have you? When people see you put your signal on, they'll sinch up to the car in front to make sure you can't get in. It's a game of "who can be the bigger asshole."

It's not always like that but it happens quite often. I've only done it when I've already let one car in and I'm not feeling like vehicular santa clause.

Last edited:
You've not driven in Chicago, have you? When people see you put your signal on, they'll sinch up to the car in front to make sure you can't get in. It's a game of "who can be the bigger asshole."

It's not always like that but it happens quite often. I've only done it when I've already let one car in and I'm not feeling like vehicular santa clause.

NYC is similar.

Funny you posted that. Was driving home from the airport around 11pm last night and hit a total stand still. I was in the right land and had just passed an exit about 100-150 yards back. There was a cop walking up and down the lanes telling people there was a really bad accident ahead and the freeway would be closed for at least 30-45 more minutes. Then he looked at my Jeep and said "you look like you could make it through the grassy shoulder to the exit ramp, feel free to go for it if you want. So I did and got to drive away without needing to wait.

Funny you posted that. Was driving home from the airport around 11pm last night and hit a total stand still. I was in the right land and had just passed an exit about 100-150 yards back. There was a cop walking up and down the lanes telling people there was a really bad accident ahead and the freeway would be closed for at least 30-45 more minutes. Then he looked at my Jeep and said "you look like you could make it through the grassy shoulder to the exit ramp, feel free to go for it if you want. So I did and got to drive away without needing to wait.

ROFL

Oh it's the same around Boston (and MA in general - there's a reason the rest of the country calls us Massholes). Like I said, if it's morning rush hour traffic and you try to pass the long line of cars trying to exit and cut everyone off in the very front, I will do what I can to not let you in. If you get past half the cars exiting and you're still a few hundred yards from the exit and you signal, I have no problem backing off and letting you in. The only exception to the first part is commercial vehicles - I tend to let them cut me off because they're on the job.

:roflmao: That's awesome!

Well, you're massholes in my books because your DOT expects people to back up if you accidentally go into the wrong lane for toll booths.